Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:53:07 AM EDT
They can't buy shit for guns but they can buy cans at the local quicky mart.
Only problem is they shouldn't bring them to the US as a proper souvie for their mates.

Uh OH - Who put that can in my luggage?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Silencers are off th eshelf items in Europe.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Sad.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]

D'OH!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#4]
That would be like them bringing back an AR15

No biggie here but over there you would hang for it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

From what I hear they are considered to be a necessary part of responsible shooting. Keeping the noise pollution to a minimum and all that you know.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]
It really is crazy to see how sensible and retarded british gun laws manage to be at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I hear they are considered to be a necessary part of responsible shooting. Keeping the noise pollution to a minimum and all that you know.

Get this: My girlfriend is an audiology doctoral student. You know, hearing doctor. I told her I planned on getting 1 or 2 (or 5 or 6 ) cans. Most importantly, they'd prevent hearing damage. I figured she'd love that...

Her: "But! Isn't that what assassins use? Those are only used by bad people!"

Me: "Well, actually, they're very tightly regulat-

Her: "No! Only bad people use those!"

Me: (facepalm)
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It really is crazy to see how sensible and retarded british American gun laws manage to be at the same time.

fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get this: My girlfriend is an audiology doctoral student. You know, hearing doctor.

You:  The only reason you're studying audiology is so that you can use noise to kill people over the phone.

Her:  That's ridiculous movie stuff!

You (loudly): AH-HA!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Why would it be illegal to have a sound suppressor in your luggage? It isn't a dangerous item in any sense of the word.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
the comments in that article are great
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, they are required for doing any kind of hunting in most countries over there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why would it be illegal to have a sound suppressor in your luggage? It isn't a dangerous item in any sense of the word.

It's illegal to bring them into the U.S., where they are regulated.  Just because it's okay in Britain doesn't make it okay here.  If they'd flown in from Amsterdam with a bunch of hash in their luggage, I suspect they'd get the same less than hospitable welcome.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get this: My girlfriend is an audiology doctoral student. You know, hearing doctor. I told her I planned on getting 1 or 2 (or 5 or 6 ) cans. Most importantly, they'd prevent hearing damage. I figured she'd love that...

Me: "Well, actually, they're very tightly regulat- "Well, I'm trying to keep my career options open in this economy.  Assassins get paid quite well"

Fixed it
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get this: My girlfriend is an audiology doctoral student. You know, hearing doctor. I told her I planned on getting 1 or 2 (or 5 or 6
) cans. Most importantly, they'd prevent hearing damage. I figured she'd love that...

Wow, that sucks for you.

My wife was like " Cool, where can you get one and can we get one for my gun too?"  

You better straigten her out quick.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Outside of some possible use in the 1930s, has there been any documented cases of someone using a can to commit a crime?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#17]
To me it's pure sense to use a suppressor.   It's neighborly to make less noise when out
practicing, or hunting.  It's kinder to the irreplaceable and vulnerable ears.

I don't see anything evil at all about suppressors.  

CJ
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To me it's pure sense to use a suppressor.   It's neighborly to make less noise when out
practicing, or hunting.  It's kinder to the irreplaceable and vulnerable ears.

I don't see anything evil at all about suppressors.  

CJ

I'm 100% there with you. It should be a requirement for hunting. I hate hearing shots echoing for miles.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder how expensive they are over there? I assume they don't have anything like our tax stamp.
It really wouldn't be that hard to get one through the mail I bet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sad.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

planning my euro vacation
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

<badfish furiously scribbles notes>
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No they aren't.  

From my somewhat limited investigations, New Zealand and I'm pretty sure Switzerland requirements are little, if any.  Sweden's is strictly prohibited.  Italy, Germany, France, Austria just to name a few are either strictly prohibited, or *HIGHLY* restricted/regulated.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No they aren't.  

Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No they aren't.  

Please elaborate.
Check my response above.  I have a house in Italy, and spend a lot of time there, and in my course of time spent there, I've researched firearm laws quite a bit.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brilliant! When she gets her MD, she can write you a prescription for a can.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can't have tritium based sights over there either.

Nuclear protesters?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I picked up a new sound mod a few weeks back , for my 10/22 cost £ 36 , and a good can for a .223 will cost from about £250 upwards.
just saving some cash so I can got my Remy 700 vssf screw cut and have a can fitted .

I need permission on my FAC to get one for a firearm but need nothing to get the SAME can for an airgun.

Hunting and pest control and a given for sound mods but even club shooters get them for H&S reasons

john

edit for link.

this is the one o got you can click the pdf to see more of it.
sound moderator
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wonder how expensive they are over there? I assume they don't have anything like our tax stamp.

It would be a lot easier just to make one.  I mean, they sell pipe here don't they?  Pay your $200, get your stamp, then build yourself one if you're looking to get one cheap.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#31]
At least the story didn't say they were banned in all 50 states.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#32]
2 Lt plastic pop bottle works great

john

legal note

the above statement is for entertainment purposes only and I do not condone the use of a two Lt pop bottle as a DIY sound moderator, thats all
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No they aren't.  

From my somewhat limited investigations, New Zealand and I'm pretty sure Switzerland requirements are little, if any.  Sweden's is strictly prohibited.  Italy, Germany, France, Austria just to name a few are either strictly prohibited, or *HIGHLY* restricted/regulated.

They're not prohibited but it takes special reasons to get them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be a lot easier just to make one.  I mean, they sell pipe here don't they?  Pay your $200, get your stamp, then build yourself one if you're looking to get one cheap.

It would be a lot easier to work a little overtime, and buy a quality one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

john

legal note
the above statement is for entertainment purposes only and I do not condone the use of a two Lt pop bottle as a DIY sound moderator, thats all

Maybe if you're name is Steven Segal(sp?) assaulting an oil rig in Alaska, other than that not really.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

john

legal note

That actually does work? I saw it in movies(of course) and was doubtful. Didn't want to risk the prison time to try it and find out.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#37]
funny thing I read once - the reason for the suppressors laws in the US.  Seems Ag was one of the biggest supporters.  Crime might be a reason - but it was poaching livestock during the depression.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This would be ideal poison pill amendment for the next AWB.

If it passes, tax-free OTC silencers! Might make the AWB easier to swallow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No they aren't.  

They're not prohibited but it takes special reasons to get them.

Restricted would have been a better word.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, because the AWBs being proposed would make it so that post ban guns can not have a suppressor installed.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

john

legal note

That actually does work? I saw it in movies(of course) and was doubtful. Didn't want to risk the prison time to try it and find out.

I'd imagine it would lessen the noise enough for the ATF to consider it a 'silencer'. Not the most efficient way to do it though. Lining the inside with sound absorbent materials would help some. Think of it like your computer case. The fans are easier to hear when you take the sides off, not a night and day difference though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really, because the AWBs being proposed would make it so that post ban guns can not have a suppressor installed.

I assume you mean the ban on threaded barrels. There are numerous ways to attach things without screwing them on.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

john

legal note

I'd imagine it would lessen the noise enough for the ATF to consider it a 'silencer'. Not the most efficient way to do it though. Lining the inside with sound absorbent materials would help some. Think of it like your computer case. The fans are easier to hear when you take the sides off, not a night and day difference though.

You could always make sure it's full when you put it on the gun.  The liquid should absorb  the sound a little.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It really is crazy to see how sensible and retarded british American gun laws in general manage to be at the same time.

fixed it for ya

Even more accurate.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It shouldn't be illegal, but it is. We have plenty of dumb gun laws, that has to be the worst.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume you mean the ban on threaded barrels. There are numerous ways to attach things without screwing them on.

No; the ban outlawed devices which reduce or eliminate muzzle flash on post ban weapons.  You can't fit a suppressor to a 1994 ban gun or a gun that would be banned under several of the proposed bills since the sunset.

ETA: Actually, it was one of the evil features, so I think you could have had a suppressor on a gun which didn't have enough additional evil features.  No go on an AR though.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

silencer is also considered a "flash hider". since post-ban weapons couldn't have flash hiders, regardless of if they were threaded on or not, you couldn't put a silencer on a post-ban firearm regardless of how it attached.

that is, however, with respect to the last ban. who knows what the next one will look like...

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
funny thing I read once - the reason for the suppressors laws in the US.  Seems Ag was one of the biggest supporters.  Crime might be a reason - but it was poaching livestock during the depression.

Huh! Learn something new every day.

I still think full auto should be a $50 (max!) option on a new gun, and that silencers should be completely legal and easy to own...

Yeah I'm preaching to the choir here but these are great examples of the "death by a thousand cuts" approach to firearms laws...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh! Learn something new every day.

I still think full auto should be a $50 (max!) option on a new gun, and that silencers should be completely legal and easy to own...

Yeah I'm preaching to the choir here but these are great examples of the "death by a thousand cuts" approach to firearms laws...

Shit, on a lot of guns full auto should be cheaper than semi.  It's mechanically less complex to implement.

If all guns were banned, the black market would include home made open bolt mgs, due to their simple design.

IIRC Al Paulsen covers some of the historical legalities in one of his books.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I must be an evil muthafucka.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top