Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2001 4:25:31 AM EDT
He saw me carry my AR-15 into my work area and screw a soda can launcher (my design) onto the barrel!  He said "It looks good, lets go try it."  So I grabbed some .223 blanks and 1/3 lb of tumbling media to weigh the empty can down a bit and shot it in front of the shop.  It went about 50 yards.  I have a very cool job!  I am in charge of 50BMG ammo construction and the gunsmithing dept. at Summit Ammunition.  We are a type 10 manufacturer, which allows us to make ammo, machineguns, and destructive devices.  My day is spent listening to cool tunes on the radio while either loading 50BMG or doing repair work.  Sometimes when things get a little boring we will go outside and rip a mag or two out of a supressed M-16, shoot a supressed Beretta 92, head out to the range to fire up one of the .50s, or set off some binary explosives.  WE are also working on some small runs of hard-to-get calibers, and some blanks.  R&D is a blast!

Does anyone else have a cool/low stress job?

Balming
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Balming,

My sympathies go out to you man! Keep your head high and keep on searching for that 'Dream Job' and I know someday you will get it! Times won't always be this tough........

Wait a minute! WTF am I saying?!

You lucky (*$&$#*+%$ How DARE you rub our noses in the pile of Doo-Doo most of us call a career!
You, are a lucky man!

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm jealous any openings?MY job is very stressful and thousands of people lives and safety depend on me.I would like to hang out at your job and have fun while at work.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmmm 50 replies and no other low stress/cool jobs?

Anyone?

Balming
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
[b]Does anyone else have a cool/low stress job?[/b]
Ahh No!

It's funny. I've always pegged you for a computer nerd,I.T. kind of guy [%|]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
While I may not get to have as much fun with guns at work, being the finance manager at a Harley Davidson dealership is about as low key and laid back job as I have ever had.

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#9]
All I do is sit here in my pajamas and listen to CDs and decide which ones are good and throw away the ones that are bad. Oh, and I sometimes fly to far off places.

No stress at all.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been too embarrassed to bring this up before but I'm in charge of selecting the panties Ms. B. Spears is not gonna wear tomorrow.
Well maybe actually this job is not "low stress."
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:55:55 AM EDT
[#11]
My job is low stress but why talk about that.  Is your company hiring anytime soon? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#12]
i have a low stress job. i work at a cocacola warehouse. load trucks. get done, go home. if it does get a little frustrating, i can always break some cans(lots of damaged and expired soda) breaking cans of pop is more fun than one might think. but i admit, if dosent campair to bienary explosives.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#13]
No offense, but what do you make an hour hand loading ammo?

Sure it's nice to have a low stress job.  It would also be nice to make more than $8 an hour.

I'll stick with my high stress job and drive to MY land to pop off rounds on the weekend.

Just my 2c
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#14]
My boss saw me carrying my AR15 to work one time too. He asked if I was getting laid off. True story.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Way cool job, I can't think of a better place to be except maybe the Playboy Mansion in Homby Hills. Who says that you can't combine work and play?

Man for you folks that are taking your ARs into work, wow! I would never do that as it would really freak out a lot people.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#17]
When you get tired of keeping up that brutal pace you can always take a lowstress cashiers job at a Circle K in downtown New Orleans near Canal street or in Birmingham.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hmmmmmm 50 replies and no other low stress/cool jobs?

Anyone?

Balming
View Quote

Ummmm, the wife let me do the dishes last night.[>(]

Lucky Bastard!![;)]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#19]
… I thought you were an embalmer for a funeral home? Anyway, a fun job is the best.

I’ve been very fortunate to work in the field I like: Military Aerospace. Nothing like standing next to a Longbow when she’s spinning her rotors at 100% NR.  Or sitting in the cockpit  of an F18E/F fighter running it’s APU. Got a workstation in my office that has the latest version of UniGraphics software loaded on it (the worlds most comprehensive and powerful CDA/CAM/CAE system). It looks like a spaceship!
I especially like working complex loft engineering issues and parametric design in 3D solids. The tougher the problem the better. My specialty is in advanced engineered materials specifically, fiber reinforced composites. We have a nice large gym on campus and the plant is big enough to go for long walks or even jog to break up the day. On Fridays the gang likes to split for lunch and go to some nice restaurant or golf course for an hour or two. No boss to speak of, I’ve been there long enough that I work without “supervision”. I usually take December off each year and am lucky enough to leave and arrive when I like without “asking” anyone. I’ve wallpapered my office with maps of the world.
I have a kick ass stereo and headphones at work and I try to listen to at least one new CD each day. I lurk this site and have even turned some “like politically minded” friends onto it as well. I’ve been fortunate and I’m grateful to be employed now. I feel bad for my friends here and elsewhere that have been temporarily displaced but things always get better.
I guess I can say that I too like my job.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Is this company have any managerial positions open?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I work at Barrett Mfg. The guys in assembly build the guns, I check off on the work then shoot them. Shoot all day about 3 days a week. I average sometimes about 1500 rds a week of 50 BMG fired.

What's the kicker? I don't have to clean them, the assembly shop does.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Balming,

How do I say this?

Oh yeah, I know...

I hate you man!

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Everybody just SHUT UP!

(I love my job, I love my job, I love my job... OK I feel better now!)
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am very glad to have my job, and I enjoy it.  Installing cable makes people happy.  That being said, [b][i][red]LET ME KNOW OF ANY OPENINGS!!![/red][/i][/b]
View Quote

ditto on all of the above, cable business sucks right now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes, very cool, Balming! I consider my job to be pretty cool (going to lots of dirt bike races, hob-nobbing with the stars of that sport and shooting photos), but the deadlines for stories make it high-stress. Used to work in the same building as some of the gun books, and we'd regularly hear various small arms being fired for photo sessions next door. That was kind of cool too. [;)]
(Edited to add: Hey, this is my 250th post. IIRC, that would've made me a Senior Member here. Hooray for me.)
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I have very stressful job. Toolmaking, I love the job but with new guys and short dead lines makes it very stressful.
 On the good side I got keys to the shop. My boss seen me working on a AR on a sunday. He never said a word.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Is your company hiring now?
[beer]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a cool job too. (low stress) I am a gemstone wholesaler. I work for myself about 4 hours a week and make about a grand a week. Before that I did timeshare marketing which was also way easy, I'd make about $1400 in 28 hours or so. So I make less now but i also work 24 less hours in a week. It's nice to have time to do whatever I want. Used to spend lots of time at the class 3 range but my friend moved to Nevada. Actually I almost miss working.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone else have a cool/low stress job?"
View Quote

[size=6]NO![/size=6]

Although about once a week I also would like to take one of my friends to work.  4-5 mags along with it.

[IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Balming--

How does the Summit Ammo compare to Talon?  I have only shot Talon and TNW.  Never again on the TNW (hard extractions on my State Arms, a ripped off rim in my Barrett 82).

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#33]
ar50troll,

Let's just say that I make more than $8/hr and leave it at that, OK?  And by the way, I also can drive out to my own range, bench and all, on land that I own, if I need to do some long distance work.

Sorry guys, no open positions, but we are planning on relocating soon and having a storefront and range with machinegun rental.

Balming
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#34]
OK, ill be the first to say it.

my job sucks,

if the overtime doesn't kill me inhaling the carcinogenic fumes for 14 an hour will [xx(]

What do I do?  im a welder
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#35]
AFARR,

To answer your question I'll describe our manufacturing process instead of beating up the competition.  We start with Lake City brass bought from a demill facility.  We use the same headstamp in every can so you won't get any mixed brass.  The brass has never been fired, but we inspect, swage, full length size and polish it. New CCI primers are used. We use military powder (demill facility) that we buy in large lots to help uniformity.  A pulled military bullet is then seated.  All of our bullets are inspected, run through a sizer die, and then polished before use.

We offer AP, API, APIT, Tracer, Incendiary, and Spoter/Tracer.

We have run over 5000 rounds through our original Transferable water cooled Colt .50 beltfed, as well as our M2.  It runs great!  Several of our customers with bolt action .50s have said that it extracts much better than other .50 they have tried.  I can honsetly say I have never had a single complaint.

By the way, if any of you guys live close o North Alabama, we will be having a small machine gun shhot this coming Saturday.  We will have 1 or 2 .50s, an AK, a few M-16s, an MG-42, a few 1919s, some suppressed stuff, and a few other odds and ends.  It should b a blast!   Email me for directions.

Balming
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#36]
You suck!!!! Aw..... do you need a helper?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Balming,

Sure you don't need an armorer to clean and maintain those weapons?........well, it was a thought.............
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I work at Barrett Mfg. The guys in assembly build the guns, I check off on the work then shoot them. Shoot all day about 3 days a week. I average sometimes about 1500 rds a week of 50 BMG fired.

What's the kicker? I don't have to clean them, the assembly shop does.
View Quote

Sounds like fun for short term but over time I think you could do some damage to yourself from putting yourself through all that .50 cal recoil....It might shake your brains into scrambled eggs....

John
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#39]
One word....$#@%$#^^%$##@!!@~~&*&^%^&&%$##@#!!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Man I want to be just like you when I grow up.
[beer]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a pretty good job even though it's not in the weapons industry.  I'm a sales engineer for a telecommmunications company in Las Vegas and my boss is in Irvine, California.  I only talk to him about twice a month.  Pretty much come and go as I please, etc.  It has it's moments, but for the most part it's the best job I've ever had.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Any openings?

BTW, I hate you. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey you landed a sweet job, man.

Mine ain't bad, either....I get the quiet satisfaction of pissing off the liberals one AR at a time.
Here's a toast to a brother in "arms"...
[beer]

Curt
Olympic Arms
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top