Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2001 1:32:58 PM EDT
How do you haggle down the price of a gun with your dealer? Do they even like when you try to get a cheeper price? Is it better if you had an ad with a competitors price and what are my limitations in general?
BALOO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
As a Gunshop owner I can honestly tell you this.
If a guy is just shopping me for a price I give my standard price and if its to high for him then I lost a sale. For one of my regular cutomers that buys alot of stuff I'll cut him a little better deal if I can. Why should I make a guy a deal that has never bought anything from me? My prices are usually the lowest around this part of the country anyway. If some mom and pop shop with 15 guns beats my price and gets a sale big deal. They need to eat and thats the way I got started in the first place.
Don't be rude about it. If you bargain a little it should not bother your dealer. I myself don't mind a guy trying to make the best deal he can and I don't blame a guy for trying to save a buck when he can.
MY .02 worth
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't haggle about new gun prices. Nor do I haggle about the cost of a camera at Circuit City, or a freezer at Lowe's, or a box of doughnuts at Kroger's.

If I go to Walmart looking for a VCR, and I see Kmart has it cheaper, I'll buy at Kmart, even if Walmart will price match.

By the same token, If Jim's gun shop has an Armalite for $825, and Bob's gun shop has an identical rifle fo $750, I'll buy at Bob's. Reward the guy who's pricing better.

If you're talking about bringing a copy of Shotgun News into a gun shop and showing the guy an advertised dealer price, I wouldn't, unless you want to get thrown out with comments about the marital status of your parents at the time of your conception, or the suggestion that you perform an unnatural act upon yourself.

Used guns are a different story. That's not true retail and I have no qualms about offering a fair price, IF I INTEND TO ACTUALLY PURCHASE THE GUN. If the dealer won't meet your price, he may make a counter offer that is within your limit for the gun, or he may tell you it's priced as marked. Either way, he will most likely not get pissed off, as he understands the nature of the used gun market. There are exceptions, though.

Practice is the only way to learn how to haggle. Common sense goes a long way too. If the absolute most you're willing to pay is $300 for a particular used gun, and the dealer is asking $400, chances are he's not going to come down to your price range, so it's better not to ask and piss the guy off with a lowball offer.
If you're absolute max is $300, and the guy is asking $325, make the offer and he just might move on it.

Above all, never make an offer unless you're willing to buy if he accepts your offer. Nothing is more infuriating than accepting an offer, and then having the buyer back out. It's rude, and it's contrary to common business law.

"Old gun dealers don't argue with their wives.
They just dicker."  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The only time I ever haggled with a dealer over a gun was a new Sig. I think he was asking $585 and I offered $525. He said no. I offered $535 and he accepted.

The other few dozen purchases were sans-haggling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Geez I haggle just about every purchase.  There's almost always some room on guns, and the dealer can back off a little.  If you are talking pawn shops there usually is a lot of room, so bargain accordingly.  If you can't get the price quite where you'd like it, then you start asking for some extra mags, a scope mount or maybe some ammo.  It also helps if you are buying more than one gun at a time and are looking for the "package deal."

Dealers tend to like me.  I never tirekick a gun unless I am serious about buying it, and often I do.

But bringing in SGN and waving ads in some dealer's face is thoroughly uncool.  I'd tell the dumbass to order it himself if he's so smart.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing wrong for hagglin on a used gun.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I've found that no matter how much money you spend at Hasset's in Waynesboro, Tom will not want to go down on a price.  He's a tightwad, plus I don't think he knows where to buy his guns.  He claims that he is only charging a little over his overhead, but I can go down the road to Dominion Outdoors and get the same gun for a lot less.  Case in point, I checked the price Hasset's could give me on a Mossberg 590 parkerized, then I went to Dominion.  The difference was almost $60.

Don't haggle with gun dealers, they don't want to hear it.  Shop around, check online, and go with who has it cheaper.  If you buy from a place like the EE you can get great trade deals that you wouldn't otherwise have.  Plus, people selling their stuff are often much more receptive to serious offers (i.e. haggling).
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck gun dealers. If they don't want to be competitive with their prices, buy it online and pay the transfer fee.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The owner of my local gun shop knows me fairly well as I've been a customer of his for over 6 years and he always cuts me a deal on almost everything I buy from him, no need to haggle and with him I wouldn't.  At gunshows, you betcha I haggle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I love to dicker,buying or selling.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll make offers, usually the price I'm willing to pay, out the door, at a couple of the gunshops I frequent. I have a couple of rules:

1. I don't make silly offers or comment on prices in SGN or GL.

2. I make offers when I'm sure of the value and have a reasonable idea of what the gun is worth and what the dealer likely has in it.

3. I don't make offers in earshot of other customers.

The gunshops I'm known in have gotten to the point where they will make me offers, or the owner will come over, when the shop is crowded, and tell me what he's willing to do on a gun I'm looking at.

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#12]
First off, if i'm buying a new gun from my dealer i know about what its going to cost me. I have bought a few from the same place and go there enough for other stuff to be a regular. When i'm buying new i usually just say "what kind of a deal can you work me on gun-x?" At that point i'm am going buy/order it anyway but anything below standard retail is a blessing.

He doesn't give real deep deals on guns but he helps you out in other things. I got a few colt 20rds for $5 less than he had marked w/o mentioning anything about the price.

As far as the SGN goes, i always thought it was rude...but he puts old ones out on the counter as give aways and for custumers to look through. [:)]

The main reason i go to a gunshop isn't for buying guns, its for talking with the other regulars and the owner about cool stuff...like we usually discuss in this forum. Unfortunatly the owner just hired a new guy...what an idiot. I heard the new guy telling some kid that our SEALS over in afganistan are using M-14's.  Wow, are the SEALS even there? Don't nearly all SF guys use M-4's? Most did in blackhawk down. Well the new guy then proceded to bash AR's. Especially the nice pre-ban colt for $1000 by saying that a new SA M-1A is so much cheaper. Needless to say i reminded him that an M1A is over $1000 and that a postban AR is only $700-$800.  Oh, he also said that class three guns havent gone up  in value in the past 20 years. ok, ranting mode off.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I do the same thing in a gun dealer that I've always done at local stereo shops, car dealers, furniture dealers, etc..  I put the money, I'm willing to pay, on the counter or desk, and calmly wait for a response.  They know I'm serious when they see the cash, and the salesperson knows he isn't wasting his time on someone who isn't serious.  I don't haggle, argue, discuss, beg, or in any other way, waste their time.z
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#14]
As a rule, I won't haggle on new guns.  You know about how much it cost the dealer and it is probably not too far off base in my experience.  Used guns are a completely different story.  Chances are, the dealer gave the prior owner squat for it, regardless of the true value.  So if the used gun is tagged at $400 and you honestly think fair market value is $350, go for it.  Dollars to donuts he bought it for about $250.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I always haggle on purchases or wait for sales at Traders.  I don't go in like a dick though, I just ask what I think is fair and I never do it unless I have the cash.  If the guy won't meet the price, I go somewhere else.  Prices in California are for the most part way to fricken high.  Frick, a standard Kimber is $750 bucks in most stores.

I also don't get my prices out of SGN and I want the dealer to make at least a decent profit so he will stay open to serve me.  It has always been a positive experience for me, even when the guy won't meet my price as I always get ammo or something else to support his business.  

The other side to the positive experience thing is I don't deal with dicks.  If the dealer cops a lot of attitude or just pays attention to his friends, I won't do business with him, even if it means I might pay more.  There is a gun store in El Cerrito where I walked in with cash to buy a .22 he had.  Guy wouldn't give me the time of day cause he was talking to his buddies.  I just walked out.

Another thing I've done for the past couple guns it order through Davidson's website.  They put the offer out to participating gun dealers in my area who present their best offer.  I could pick one or pass on all of them.  If I like it I pay a deposit to Davidsons, go into the store to do the paper work and pay the balance and in 10 days (thank you California) I have my new gun.

Baloo, just offer what you think is fair, most dealers are pretty good about it.  Check around a lot of shops as well, you get to see the variation in prices and the variations in attitudes.  Plus shopping for the gun is half the fun. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
OK I hagle. I offer my price and intend to back it up cash. A gun store in town has a pre-ban eagle arms complete as it was from factory even with  a mag(car look alike upper 4" FH?). he says he picked it up cheap from a lady that needed cash for car repairs. He asks $1200 I offer $1000 out the door. He counters at $1050 and acts strange when I do not take it. I looked at the rifle and decided that it is only worth $1000 to me before I made an offer. All of his new guns are over priced. Did I offend him by not buying it? Does it sound like I am trying to loww ball him? Seems I can buy a pre-ban lower for $650 and build any upper that I want for the difference.We are talking used and been handled here.

-Cruizer
Maybe I am just cheap but he is a cocky F*** and I would raather have the extra $50 in my pocket.

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Above all, never make an offer unless you're willing to buy if he accepts your offer. Nothing is more infuriating than accepting an offer, and then having the buyer back out. It's rude, and it's contrary to common business law.
View Quote

This reminds me of my boss....he was asking a certain price for his business...after haggling for awhile I agreed...& he backed out!  To make matters worse, he "sold" a portion of it to two new partners...who contributed squat to building that business.

Friggin icehole.

If a man can't be counted on to keep his word...what good is he?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuck gun dealers. If they don't want to be competitive with their prices, buy it online and pay the transfer fee.
View Quote

I always love this one - Who is going to do your transfers genius?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:43:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

The "Gun Fairy".[:E]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 2:29:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I generally haggle over any purchase with an initial price tag of over $400.  Whether its guns or cars doesn't matter,  what does matter is whether or not your a good/regular customer and whether or not they can afford to chop the price for you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I haggled at Sears in the tool dept.
I and a friend wanted socket set and a c-miter saw between us....asked the girl for an extra discount over the 'sale prices' and the 10%, if we bought both from her. She kicked in an extra 5%.
You can sure ask if the guy will go lower on a gun. If he won't, he don't, then you can pay his price or move on
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#22]
My FFL and I have a very cordial relationship. Whenever I want to trade a gun or buy one, we have a piece of paper that we pass to each other. You would not believe how many figures are scratched off that paper until we ultimately come to a deal.

Of course I know that he has to make money off me but I try to control how much since I do my research before I go to his shop. In return for my consideration, he does most of my transfers for $10.00.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#23]
The price on all durable goods (Cars, washing machines, guns) is negotiable.

A happy gun dealer is one who has learned it is better to make $1.00 profit on 1000 guns than $1000.00 profit on one gun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Duh, the smart gun dealer who has his head out of his ass and is with the times, not the dickhead gun dealer who still thinks he has some sort of monopoly, prices his shit accordingly, and then expects to be treated like God because he hands out a few favors to repeat customers.

There, was that really out that difficult for you to figure out?

By the way, I do have a great working relationship with a local FFL who has figured out that times have changed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's my rule of thumb, if I'm using a dealer I respect (who also respects me), I'll be willing to pay a little extra to support his business.

Now if a dealer wants to price guns like a used car salesman, and he wants to act like a used car salesman, then I'll haggle with him or not buy from him at all.  This applies to new or used guns.

The difference between gun dealers and 90% of all other businesses is that gun dealers vary a lot more in prices.  If you're looking for a new TV, you can go to Best Buy, Circuit city, etc... and the chances are you will find the same product for the same price, + or - a percent or two.

Now look for a new gun that cost the dealer $500, and chances are you will find:
A.  Legit dealer who wants $550 for the gun.
B.  Asshole who wants $650 for the gun.
C.  Moron who will never sell the gun for what he wants, $750
D.  Crook who prices at $850 and will haggle if you're smart enough to.

Case in point, I was looking for a new Para P14 limited.

One dealer wanted $730, but didn't have the exact model in stock.  Dealer #2, who I despise, but went into the shop anyway, has the exact model I wanted.  The price tag was marked "$1100 retail, sale price $1000."  I talked to the employee, and right away he said he could give it to me for $900, without me even asking about the price.  I told him he was still a little high, so he says "hold on, let me talk to my manager..."  He comes back and says, "Ok, I can sell it for $850, but only if you buy it today..."

Who do you think I went back to in the future???  Act like a used car salesman, and I will treat you like one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I try to haggle on new and used gun prices.  The local dealers are always ready to haggle.

The Pawn Shop is a totally new game.  If they are asking $500 figure they only paid from $250 - $350.  

I have purchased a Mossberg 500 for $75 and a Russian (yes Russian) SKS in a Pawn Shop for $125 just because I did the haggle!

medcop

hmm, wish I still had that Russian SKS..oh well the $$ I got from it was nice!
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#27]
... It seems that at my community fun stores there are always first time buyers that pay sticker because they don't know any better. They usually are drooling and googly eyed.
Good, they're our buffers.

... My purchases usually last a couple days or so. I'm never too anxious and I scrutinize the hardware closely.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't haggle.  I just don't buy from higher-priced establishments (read: Carter's Country) unless the people are nice (read: like the folks at what was the old Guns Warehouse and unlike the dicks at Carter's Country).

Customer service goes a long way with me.  Customer disservice earns anti-advertising.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#29]
At the local store I pay sticker price to support the place.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#30]
As a manager at a gun shop and a buyer, I most say that if you do not shop around and haggle then you are the dumbest moron around and you deserve to get but fxxked every time ( with out the Vaseline or a little sand if you like) I always haggle and I expect it from our customers. Everything is priced for trade, If you are paying with cash then you get a 50.00 to 100.00 off deal. Now we have a dealer in town that is screwing customers like crazy. He makes 125.00 profit off a High Point and over 200.00 on a name brand gun. here is the catch, They bring the gun in to use after they are tired of it or it is just not what they really want. Now customer wants to know what it is worth on pawn, trade, or buying it out right. He thinks we are the crocks because we can only offer him what it is worth ( usually 200.00 to 300.00 less than what he paid for it.) Customer then gets pissed and storms out screaming and cursing as he goes out the door how we are trying to screw him.Case in point, Guy brings in a Ruger p97 and wants to trade it to use for a Smith + Wesson 40.06 tactical. We have 2 of them and consecrative numbers in 98% conditions ( Demo Models) Price is 675.00 I offer the man 325.00 for his gun in trade. Man says: WTF I paid 450.00 for this gun- I just cant loose that much. I asked where did you buy it at (Dick head that is screwing people) I told him He should shop around. We sell the gun for 400.00 and I offered him wholesale price for his gun, But he still said I was trying to rip him off.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#31]
  I help out at a shop in my spare time, I get well taken care of in return.

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I buy from my local dealers to support them.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Duh, the smart gun dealer who has his head out of his ass and is with the times, not the dickhead gun dealer who still thinks he has some sort of monopoly, prices his shit accordingly, and then expects to be treated like God because he hands out a few favors to repeat customers.

There, was that really out that difficult for you to figure out?

By the way, I do have a great working relationship with a local FFL who has figured out that times have changed.
View Quote

While you and WalMart may have great relationship going, the rest of the number of FFL's have been dropping in substantial numbers and soon it will not be as easy as you think.  I agree times are a changin'.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As a manager at a gun shop and a buyer,

If you are paying with cash then you get a 50.00 to 100.00 off deal. Now we have a dealer in town that is screwing customers like crazy. He makes 125.00 profit off a High Point and over 200.00 on a name brand gun.
View Quote

If you can afford to give $100 off on a deal and the dealer that is screwing customers like crazy is making a $200 profit - how are you making a profit and not "screwing" people.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:50:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I haggle on anything i sell but only for retail "pick-up" sales at my store.Everyone gets a discount, even if it's just the shipping charges, since they are picking it up.
You should also try to bring cash anytime you go into any store to haggle.It will help.
Eric the ammoman
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a manager at a gun shop and a buyer,

If you are paying with cash then you get a 50.00 to 100.00 off deal. Now we have a dealer in town that is screwing customers like crazy. He makes 125.00 profit off a High Point and over 200.00 on a name brand gun.
View Quote

If you can afford to give $100 off on a deal and the dealer that is screwing customers like crazy is making a $200 profit - how are you making a profit and not "screwing" people.
View Quote

Did you not read what a wrote. I said 50.00 to a 100.00. we only try to make 50.00 on any deal. sometimes we make more but only if it is a pawn and we usually sit on it for 3 months before putting it on the shelf. At lest we take trade ins, The other guy....LOL........ HE doesn't buy used guns and no trades at all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
While you and WalMart may have great relationship going, the rest of the number of FFL's have been dropping in substantial numbers and soon it will not be as easy as you think.  I agree times are a changin'.
View Quote

Wow, when did Wal-Mart acquire McDaniel's hardware store? Many of the local gun clubs also have FFLs and do tranders for members. Times aren't as bleak as you gougers would have us believe.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I have my own account there...that is prefered customer status, the price might stay the same, but a couple boxes of ammo get thrown in
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I know exactly what you mean.  You should try Shooter's Station in Conroe if you had been going to the Carter's on the north side.  They'll treat you right up there.  People at Carter's are assholes, plus Bill Carter actively campaigns against gunshows because he loses money.
View Quote

Yup.  I'll probably swing that direction during the weekend afte rthe New Year, when I get back to the states.  They a Saturday-only store or are they godless heathens like Carter's who are willing to make money on any day of the week?  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#42]
At my local Gunshop I was treated like dirt (I'm a college student who looks around a LOT) until the owner found out who I was (My parents sold him a LOT of land and my dad prosecutes those who write bad checks).  Instantly I was receiving $50 bucks off every firearm I looked at.  After spending a thousand bucks he started throwing in holsters or cases for free on new gun purchases.  After a few more purchases of ammo and more firearms I started receiving a $75 dollar discount, a free case, and a box of ammo thrown in.  Used is a different story.  Cash is King.  I will show up with what I think it is worth in cash and walk out with a new (to me) firearm.  No cases or holsters on these purchases but a good deal none the less.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks to all for replying and not making this a soap opera.
BALOO.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Haggle for everything. (except condoms [:D])
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top