Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2001 3:07:53 AM EDT
[url]freerepublic.com/focus/fr/588846/posts[/url]
Arsenal seized at Westville house (Connecticut)
Constitution/Conservatism
Source: New Haven Register
Published: 12-12-01 Author: William Kaempffer
Posted on 12/12/01 3:01 AM Pacific by Sandy

NEW HAVEN — Police in bulletproof vests Tuesday converged on a quiet Westville neighborhood and seized an arsenal of illegal assault rifles, canisters of live ammunition and a box of hand grenades from a pricey home.

A 31-year-old man who lives in the house was arrested.
"I've only seen this in a Bruce Willis movie," said one stunned neighbor, who came outside to survey the spectacle.

Inside 851 Forest Road, police recovered at least four AR-15 assault weapons, authorities said. The guns, a civilian version of the military M-16, are illegal in Connecticut. They also recovered bomb-making manuals and volumes of hate literature, police said.

"It's an ongoing investigation," said state police Lt. Robert Kiehm, the commanding officer of the Special Licensing and Firearms unit, which spearheaded the investigation. "We went in looking for assault rifles. During the search, we were able to find several."

The grenades were an unexpected discovery, authorities said.

"The ATF (Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms) and bomb squad are trying to make a determination if they are dummy grenades or active," Kiehm said.

The search shocked the quiet, wooded neighborhood of trimmed lawns and well-kept homes.

State and New Haven police arrested Charles Cornelius according to New Haven Sgt. Steve Shea.

Cornelius was charged with four counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon by the state police. He also was arrested on a New Haven warrant, Shea said. Both the state and city warrants were ordered sealed by a Superior Court judge, and details of the allegations were not immediately available.

Kiehm and Shea would detail how the investigation unfolded or how they first learned of the weapons.

Kiehm would only state that warrants were the result of a six-month investigation into Cornelius. Despite the hate literature and heavy firepower, police said they found no evidence Cornelius was planning an attack on a specific institution or person.

"Hopefully, we've gotten here before that," Kiehm said.

------------------------------------------------

Good ol' "Guilty till proven dead"

??6 mo. investigation for 4 AR's??
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:21:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Cornelius was charged with four counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon...
View Quote

In a truly civilized society, that statement would be considered an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#2]
There are illegal books and pamphlets? When they throw stuff like this out at the media it makes the whole thing smell bad.

Edited to say: The "ARSENAL" thing is always good for a giggle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
How long have AR's been illegal in CT????
I see a trend here. Looks like they are going to take gun-owners down one at a time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cornelius was charged with four counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon by the state police.  

Despite the hate literature and heavy firepower, police said they found no evidence Cornelius was planning an attack on a specific institution or person.

"Hopefully, we've gotten here before that," Kiehm said.

View Quote

Apparently, now one can be arrested for illegal thought, and what one MIGHT do in the future.

re: AR's in Connecticut -

ONLY preban are illegal, as only the preban ones are considered "assault weapons."

Apparently, in their minds, if it doesn't have a bayonet lug, it is FAR less deadly.

Idiots.

Glad I got the hell out of Connecticut.

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How long have AR's been illegal in CT????
I see a trend here. Looks like they are going to take gun-owners down one at a time.
View Quote

you just answered the .69 cent question. the question "what will you do when they come for yore guns?" should be "what will you do when they come for yore neighbors guns?"

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 3:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to live in Connecticut you have to respect their laws. You can either move to a state that allows you to own assault firearms, or work to change the laws in Connecticut. Other than those options, it's all useless bitching and moaning that won't change a thing.

How many gun owners in Connecticut sit on their asses on election day? How many would rather bitch and moan than get organized and fight for their Constitutional rights? I thought so!

edited to remove profanity

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How many gun owners in Connecticut sit on their fucking asses on election day? How many would rather bitch and moan than get organized and fight for their Constitutional rights? I thought so!

View Quote

A friend of mine went to a hearing in Hartford when they tried to pass legislation outlawing ALL AR15's the M1A, the FAL, of ALL variants.

The majority were limp-wristed "Please don't take my deer rifle"  wusses, incapable of stringing together two coherent sentences. Only ONE other had ANY grasp of state and federal provisions withion the respective COnstitutions that prohibited the type of legislation being considered.

CT gun owners have gotten what they deserve. They WELCOMED the fox into the hen house. Now the fox rules the roost.

(A notable excption being SOME of the CT gun owners here. But even when my friend (a CT resident) and I ( a non-resident ) sent out a plea for help, we were met with alot of apathy.)

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I think some people are finally beginning to see that the good guy (not saying this man is one) does not always come out on top.  Many of the founders only saw the glory of freedom in their own hearts and minds.  They died in the process of birthing that freedom.

Folks, it has been said that the Constitution is not in need of interpretation and even if it was it has been interpreted in our favor by our highest court.  The statement, "the dog crapped on the carpet" means..... the dog crapped on the carpet.  The second ammendment is just that simple.

Those who would violate it must have the cost increased to whatever level necessary to make them stop.  We simply don't have the guts anylonger.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:25:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Garandman, you hit the nail on the head!  I am also aware of too many GUN owners that say/believe the same thing..."Don't take away my hunting rifle/shotgun...I don't care about them "assault rifles"...what do you need them for?"  Well that kind of attitude has allowed the MA legislature to pass draconian gun laws.  Many handguns cannot be sold in MA now because they don't meet the liberal AG's "standards".  But these deer/duck hunters didn't see that coming.  Many prior licensed handgun owners now cannot renew their handgun licenses because of minor past misdemeanors.  Bet they also didn't see that coming. Finally, many rifle owners ( for ex. M1 carbine) found out that because the rifle that they had and haven't shot for 30 years now required a handgun license to own because it was a high capacity firearm...and they can't get one because of the new "stringent" gun laws...bet they also didn't see that coming!  Because of these new laws, the number of licensed handgun owners as well as regular firearms owners fell dramatically in MA.  Ben Franklin said it once.."We all hang together or we will all hang separately".  In MA, I fear it is too late.  Everyone else out there pay attention to this!  MA has been called the "example" state by the gun control groups!  Pay attention.  If we could only wake up the other "stupid" gun owners and let them see that we are ALL GUN OWNERS, not handgun, not assault rifle, not shotgun owners!  We are all GUN owners!
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Kalifornia's laws.....are spreading like a virius...slowly, they'll be in your state to.[:(]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 4:33:04 AM EDT
[#11]
111AAAm-O-Tramp,
Do you see what a complete idiot you look like by saying that. Respect the laws huh! How about respecting the supreme law as in the U.S. Constitution.

This is the first time I ever heard of someone getting in trouble for having preban. Most often the other way around like having a post ban with preban features.

This is bad, but until this year it's always been the "extremists" getting coverage for this type of thing. The more upper middle class that is seen being arrested for this kind of thing might wake some people up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#12]
In 1994, Connecticut passed a law banning the sale of a number of assault weapons. A list of models was compiled and these were no longer allowed to be sold. The Colth AR's were on the list, although Ar's by any other manufactuare were not. Anyone owning one of this evil "assualt weapons" was allowed to keep it, but they ad to register it. You were required to get a passport photo, set of figerprints and fill out alot of paperwork. I only know this cause I worked in a gunstore at the time, I don't own any guns. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Kalifornia's laws.....are spreading like a virius...slowly, they'll be in your state to.[:(]
View Quote

Actually, in the last five years, SC has both legislated in concealed carry, and legalized Class 3.

Also, you don't need a permit to buy a handgun from a private party here.

Freedom is good.

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#14]
 There is hope.......Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine are still FREE.......we still have OUR AR's .........partially because "they" know better then to try and take them.........

This whole arrest situation is stupid.....No information is "illegal" unless you live in a communist state...BTW I imagine the "hand grenades" or "unregistered destructive devices overdue on a tax stamp"  were probably the dummy variety sold at most surplus stores - most likely inert..........Arsenal....hell, I feel like an outcast because I don't have a walk-in gun safe yet..........

Live Free or Die
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, in the last five years, SC has both legislated in concealed carry, and legalized Class 3.

Also, you don't need a permit to buy a handgun from a private party here.

Freedom is good.

View Quote
....no doubt...some of the states are A.O.K...I LUV VT+AZ!

.. but since I live back east(MA)and have had to engage a ATTY.$$$ to keep my rights you can understand my jaded prespective.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#16]
mk1iii

OK so now what? Still bitching and moaning and talking, and no ((((((Action)))))).

Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad they got him before he went mad and killed people.  Glad they took the guns too because they have been known to go into attack mode and kill without any thought.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#18]
My wife put a huge smile on my face about a year ago when one of these "police confiscate arsenal" stories hit the news.

After they ran through the list of what this guy had in his house, she turned to me and said, "1200 rounds of ammunition? That's all?"

...made me so proud...
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you want to live in Connecticut you have to respect their laws. You can either move to a state that allows you to own assault firearms, or work to change the laws in Connecticut. Other than those options, it's all useless bitching and moaning that won't change a thing.

How many gun owners in Connecticut sit on their asses on election day? How many would rather bitch and moan than get organized and fight for their Constitutional rights? I thought so!

edited to remove profanity

View Quote

what he said!!!
i passed up a job transfer to CT because of their rabid anti-gun mentality,  decided it was easier to find another job than give up my freedom and my firearms.  
no AR's, need permit to purchase, permit to own, gun not allowed outside of house, blablabla.

most of the citizens are only concerned about their freakin huntin' rifle, not looking at the bigger picture - once the evil SUR's were gone, the handguns were next, then they will come for your freakin huntin' rifle.
..and the non-voters and sheep keep returning the same politicians to office, prefering a gov't handout over their own freedom.

GUN CONTROL WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE VOTERS.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top