Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2008 7:46:55 AM EDT
I posted this in the Handgun Forum but didn't get much feedback.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that might own 1 of the above and uses a Horizontal Shoulder Holster for carry. I'm looking for a rig for doing that and I was looking for recommendations on which types and makes you seem to like.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Come on now, nobody out there carries concealed using a Shoulder Rig of some kind ?

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I OC a 1911 in a Galco Miami Classic. Most comfortable rig ever.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#3]
isnt the pt99 and pt100 the new generation taurus 92f/96f copies? if so there should be PLENTY of holsters.

ETA : Yes, the pt99 and pt100 are the new copies of the 92f and 96f.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
isnt the pt99 and pt100 the new generation taurus 92f/96f copies? if so there should be PLENTY of holsters.

I would guess that is probably true, and I know that there are rigs out there, but I'm looking for some " real-world" feedback from people that may have been using them for a while.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my customers carries a Taurus 92 in a Galco Miami Classic, which is the horizontal carry rig.  It hides well under a vest.

Personally I dont care for the horizontal style because every time you turn around, you sweep everyone with the muzzle of a loaded pistol.  My customer solved this issue by carrying his gun with an empty chamber.  I don't agree with that idea at all.  I have a Galco VSH, which carries it (Sig) muzzle down.

ETA - very comfortable, although expensive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One of my customers carries a Taurus 92 in a Galco Miami Classic, which is the horizontal carry rig.  It hides well under a vest.

Personally I dont care for the horizontal style because every time you turn around, you sweep everyone with the muzzle of a loaded pistol.  My customer solved this issue by carrying his gun with an empty chamber.  I don't agree with that idea at all.  I have a Galco VSH, which carries it (Sig) muzzle down.

If you are having problems with handguns going off on their own, in a holster, you need to see a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that might own 1 of the above and uses a Horizontal Shoulder Holster for carry. I'm looking for a rig for doing that and I was looking for recommendations on which types and makes you seem to like.

I have a Galco Miami Classic and also an old (very old) Assault Systems nylon shoulder holster. IMO the nylon holster is actually more comfortable to wear for 12+ hours.
For some reason horizontal shoulder holsters get the Rodney Dangerfield treatment but I find them much more comfortable than any IWB rig and many OWBs I've tried.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Galco Miami Classic and also an old (very old) Assault Systems nylon shoulder holster. IMO the nylon holster is actually more comfortable to wear for 12+ hours.
For some reason horizontal shoulder holsters get the Rodney Dangerfield treatment but I find them much more comfortable than any IWB rig and many OWBs I've tried.

Are you talking about the Uncle Mike's type of nylon holster ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd have to recommend the Miami Classic as well.  I'm carrying my M-9 in it now, but not as a concealed rig.  I wear it most often around where I'm deployed over my Safariland leg holster.  It's pretty comfortable.  I tried a nylon off-brand that didn't work so well.  

Anyway, I'm happy with it.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are having problems with handguns going off on their own, in a holster, you need to see a gunsmith.

Because sweeping yourself and others during the draw is a good idea? Or would your just carry it and never draw?  Muzzle orientation is a valid criteria for holster selection no matter where you carry, strong side hip, crossdraw, Thunderwear or shoulder holster.

Perhaps you could post some video of yourself drawing from a horizontal shoulder rig and delivering accurate fire on a target at 10 yards without sweeping yourself or others behind you. Any sub 2 second draw from concealment would be good, I'd be interested in the techneique.

Gringop
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Use to, and sometimes still carry my P226 in a Galco. Don't remember which model though. Its very comfortable.

eta: miami classic.

This looks like a cool option
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
i use a galco jackass for a p229...

works great
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I've carried concealed in shoulder holsters, and mostly horizontal shoulder holsters, for 30 years.  When I lived in a cooler climate I carried this way every day, now I usually only carry in a shoulder holster in the winter or when riding a motorcycle.  I like carrying this way, it's far more comfortable to me, I hate having a lot of weight on my belt, even with a stiff gunbelt.  Even when belt carrying, which I do most of the time now, I use a stiff gun belt and the super duty Perry suspenders, which transfers most of the weight to my shoulders, letting me keep the belt one notch looser.

Lots of good holsters on the market, just be sure to get one with wide straps and a double or triple mag carrier on the offside to balance the rig.  Without the balance weight you'll either end up with an overly tight elastic strap on the offside, or having the offside connected to the belt, something which I find to be uncomfortable.  I much prefer the rig to be balanced, adjusted to ride high, and having no connection with the belt on either side.

Of course, what you find most comfortable may vary.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because sweeping yourself and others during the draw is a good idea? Or would your just carry it and never draw?  Muzzle orientation is a valid criteria for holster selection no matter where you carry, strong side hip, crossdraw, Thunderwear or shoulder holster.

Perhaps you could post some video of yourself drawing from a horizontal shoulder rig and delivering accurate fire on a target at 10 yards without sweeping yourself or others behind you. Any sub 2 second draw from concealment would be good, I'd be interested in the techneique.

Gringop

If someone else is carrying from a shoulder harness and has to sweep me to draw down then so be it.  Chances are the situation is pretty fucking serious, and the risk of being swept is minimal to the threat that presented the deadly force situation in the first place.

I dont want to play the Internet badass game, but I have been barrel swept more than a few times while clearing through houses.  Its not good, but its the reality of combat.

The biggest thing for me is finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a light brown leather one, forget the brand, for my PT100, double mag pouch version. I wore it twice and it was really comfortable. It ended up just not being what I wanted to use, oh, and I got a Glock that does just fine on my belt when I do CCW. The PT100 is now my bedside table gun.

Want a barely used holster at a decent price?

As info, the PT100 is hardly a 'new' gun.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you talking about the Uncle Mike's type of nylon holster ?

Not exactly like Uncle Mike's, the closest thing I could find on the net was this elite survival systems rig. I believe assault systems evolved into elite but I could be mistaken.

The wider part over the shoulder and the increased flexibility of the nylon makes it more comfortable imo.
I'll +1 the offside mag carrier too, it does help balance the weight.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#17]
www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html

This is a great one and it does not require tie downs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Shooting Systems did evolve into Elite.  I still buy some of their stuff since they are a local company.

Of the hundreds of people that I know that carry daily, I would be hard pressed to name 3 that use a should rig for every day use.  They are IMHO more useful if you spend a large amount of time sitting(desk or car).

You see more on Hollywood cops than you ever will in the real world.

Galco is still the benchmark for shoulder rigs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top