Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2008 4:06:00 PM EDT
So, I currently work 1530-0200 four nights a week - I get Friday, Sat, Sun off.  I usually get to sleep by 0300 on Friday morning and wake up at about 1100.  From that point on until Monday at 1500, I am free from work.  Wife works from home, so we get to have lunch together, enjoy each other's company while she isn't busy, get to walk the dogs, I get to read, cook, surf the net, ad nauseum.

I get into work today and my supervisor tells me that our department in the hospital has to trim some hours, modify schedules, yadda yadda.  He tells me that my new schedule is Wed. 1530-midnight, Thursday 0800-midnight, and Friday 0800-midnight.  So I'd be working two 16-hour shifts (only get paid for 15 hours due to mandatory 30 minute breaks every 8 hours) - the 16 hour shifts would be after only about 6.5 hours of sleep the night before.  I know some people can handle that, but I really need 7.5-8 hours of sleep to function properly.  I'm 42 years old and don't know if I can handle this sort of shift.  But wow, you say, you get 4 days off every week!  Well, I get 3 days off now, and get enough sleep and don't have to work 16 hour shifts.

Now, here's an additional kicker - due to only getting 38 hours instead of 40, and losing out on a lot of my shift 2 and shift 3 pay differential, I am going to end up losing $3600 a year ($300 a month), which is a 7% pay cut.

I think it is time to start looking for a new job.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top