Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/13/2008 6:09:25 PM EDT
Are you for, against or indifferent to equal legal rights for gays in the United States?  Does where you live influence your opinion?  Does religion?  What is the common feeling where you live about the issue?  Speak your mind.  Say whatever you want just realize you represent where you're from ;)

My take:

Whose to say that two people who love each other, sometimes more than hetero couples, can't have legal equality?  I don't care about the term "marriage" because religion x= politics.  

What ESPECIALLY bothers me is that a gay man in a hospital cannot be seen by his mate oftentimes because there is no blood line or legal relation.  That means a couple that has been together for 35 years cannot be together on their death bed.

I'm an AR-15 owning EMT from New York and I support the cause.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't care.

But I don't want to hear about it ALL THE TIME.  Just like I don't want to hear about other relationships.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I haz cheezburger....
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I would tend to agree with you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont give a shit about gay couples or hetero couples. Gov. should have no say in any of it anyway. Gay people being gay is by a wide margin the least important issue ever debated.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, for you yeah.  It's not for the guy or girl who can't see his/her partner in the hospital.  Perspective is relative.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
PIE

Or does that ruin the thread.... well at least for the non-lesbians.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't care.

But I don't want to hear about it ALL THE TIME.  Just like I don't want to hear about other relationships.

Bingo!  I don't care how someone lives their life, just stop yelling about it and always being in everyone's face about it.

Besides, I didn't know they didn't have equal rights.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not going to go out of my way to criticize other people's alternative life style just as long as they don't go out of their way to criticize my, "traditional" lifestyle.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the government has no business dictating whether two consenting adults can enter into a legal contract based on their sex, or what marriages a church should recognize either.

I've never understood what the controversy was about, who cares if somebody chooses someone of the same sex as a beneficiary or gives them a power of attorney?

Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't care.
Just don't get in my face about it and wwe are all good.  

I am also going to say this may end badly...  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Sept 08 asks if polesmoking is equal rights?

Let me make it clear, Anyone, and I mean EVERYONE male already has the same right as me. To marry a woman.

And all women have the same right as my wife, to marry a man.

Anything else is an abomination of the word marry.

DoI care if you smoke pole? Not hardly. Nor shoot drugs, nor sniff buttcrack. Keep it out of my face & away from my kids and life is well. Insist on special treatment and I will do the same.

If polesmokers can marry, my wife and I want to marry her Dad, her Mom, my Dad & my Mom. Then they will have great insurance too.

See how fuckt up special treatment is???

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
It doesn't matter to me either way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't care.

+87...

stay outta my face .. do what you do outta my sight .. i dont wanna hear about it .. i dont care if you are gay or straight..

never had problems with gays until i went off to college and they had a large militant gay contingent there.. for folks like me who mind there own biz.. such folks are their own worst enemy..

and equal rights for a sexual preference? sheeese....
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I am not pro gay marriage because it is a religious practice which I don't feel that the right to be fucked with.  I don't have a problem with civil unions.  I could care less about what people do in their own homes.  But I don't want it shoved in my face every time I go out of mine.  With all of the talk of gay friendly schools and shit like that just pisses me off.  It is further encouraging discrimination by doing this.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Your dirty sex makes God send hurricanes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
How it should be in my opinion:

If you want to enter into a legally binding contract with somebody, go to the government.

If you want to get married, go to a church.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Funny how many of the so-called "conservatives" from liberal states --like New York-- are quicker to sympathize and adopt leftist ideals and talking points.  Nah, must be a coincidence.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't care.

Bingo!  I don't care how someone lives their life, just stop yelling about it and always being in everyone's face about it.

Besides, I didn't know they didn't have equal rights.

You bring up a really good point - but consider this:  This is the final civil rights frontier for the US.  They made a big deal about other civil rights movements (women, blacks...).  Is this cause less important?  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I dont give a shit about gay couples or hetero couples. Gov. should have no say in any of it anyway. Gay people being gay is by a wide margin the least important issue ever debated.

Yup....do what you want behind closed doors, just dont fucking flaunt it out in the open.  I hate people that are over the top gay.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone else think this guy is a troll? I smelled troll right away then saw his post count and reg date.... yep
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Are you for, against or indifferent to equal legal rights for gays in the United States?  Does where you live influence your opinion?  Does religion?  What is the common feeling where you live about the issue?  Speak your mind.  Say whatever you want just realize you represent where you're from ;)

Ok...

what the hell do I care where someone shoves their dick?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sept 08 asks if polesmoking is equal rights?

Let me make it clear, Anyone, and I mean EVERYONE male already has the same right as me. To marry a woman.

And all women have the same right as my wife, to marry a man.

And under proposed changes, you'd have every right to marry a man.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Are you for, against or indifferent to equal legal rights for gays in the United States?

Bullshit phrases in a bullshit argument.

He who frames the debate wins.  The answer is: they already have the same rights as anyone else.  They want special recognitions, not equal rights.  Anyone who buys into this 'extra equal' bullshit is an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I has cheeseburger.

ETA- damn, beat by skillets, 2nd post too....
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not a troll.  I'm just getting a sense for what gun owners think.  I'm a psychology major and an avid AR-15 fan.  I enjoy educated discourse.

I also want to hear what it is like in other states besides NY.

Many of these responses are interesting.  It seems a lot of people missed the part about this topic not being about "marriage" just equal rights.  Also we're not talking "special rights" or like in your face converting crap.  I'm talking about peoples' opinions to having a law on the books allowing LEGAL "togetherness."

What do you think?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Are you for, against or indifferent to equal legal rights for gays in the United States?

Bullshit phrases in a bullshit argument.

He who frames the debate wins.  The answer is: they already have the same rights as anyone else.  They want special recognitions, not equal rights.  Anyone who buys into this 'extra equal' bullshit is an idiot.

This is clearly not the case.  As I mentioned earlier - a gay man cannot see his mate in the hospital because they are not legal partners.  There is no LEGAL equality.  They have human rights just the same.  We're talking civil rights.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#27]
If gay people want to be miserable and have a 50% divorce rate like the rest of us, we might as well let 'em.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If gay people want to be miserable and have a 50% divorce rate like the rest of us, we might as well let 'em.

Haha right on!
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm not a troll.  I'm just getting a sense for what gun owners think.  I'm a psychology major and an avid AR-15 fan.  I enjoy educated discourse.

Many of these responses are interesting.  It seems a lot of people missed the part about this topic not being about "marriage" just equal rights.  Also we're not talking "special rights" or like in your face converting crap.  I'm talking about peoples' opinions to having a law on the books allowing LEGAL "togetherness."

What do you think?

Wait.. You just said it wasn't about marriage.  A sentence later you talk about legal togetherness?  Tell me how that is not the same thing...

My statement still stands from earlier.  I think marriage is a RELIGIOUS union.  If two gay people want to have a civil union I could give two shits.  If they want to have a religious union and try to change the definition of that religious view, then I have a problem.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#30]
If 5 dudes kick my ass, I suck, but if 5 guys kick my ass and I say I am gay HATE CRIME??
I also believe if you don't what gays, black, or what ever in you apts. you should have that right too, not .gov telling you what to do.  Just like the damn smoking ban here, I don't smoke but it should be up to the bar, restaurant owner or what ever to make that choice. Equal is equal, so no gay pride marches, because their are not Straight only marches, no all white schools so no all black schools NO wet so NO bet and so on
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I do not agree with Gay Marriage one bit. I think it is morally wrong.

BUT.

I think it should be 100% legal. The government's purpose is not to tell people what they can or can't do, when it comes to situations like this.

But, that means they don't get anything special. No tax cuts, etc. Exact same stuff a Male-Female couple would get.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#32]
How about equal rights for our non-human companions?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

My take:

Whose to say that two people who love each other, sometimes more than hetero couples, can't have legal equality?  I don't care about the term "marriage" because religion x= politics.  

What ESPECIALLY bothers me is that a gay man in a hospital cannot be seen by his mate oftentimes because there is no blood line or legal relation.  That means a couple that has been together for 35 years cannot be together on their death bed.

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you think?

Wait.. You just said it wasn't about marriage.  A sentence later you talk about legal togetherness?  Tell me how that is not the same thing...

My statement still stands from earlier.  I think marriage is a RELIGIOUS union.  If two gay people want to have a civil union I could give to shit.  If they want to have a religious union and try to change the definition of that religious view, then I have a problem.

In the US we have "marriage" and "legal partnership."  Since we have separation of church and state, one does not affect the other.  In this particular discussion we are discussion the legal aspect instead of the religious "marriage" aspect.  Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Pro equal rights voter here.  Just don't get in my face with the ghey stuff and I have no problems with you, and in turn I will not push my straight beliefs on you.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
How about equal rights for our non-human companions?

In AMERICA animals cannot sign a legally binding contract?  Obviously.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Man was meant for woman, woman was meant for man.

That's it.  There are no extensions to that statement,  no exceptions, no 'buts'.

Any other combination is a mistake at the very minimum, but I tend to prefer the term "abomination".

As far as I'm concerned, homosexuality is a disorder that needs to be treated or cured,
not a "choice" that needs to be tolerated in the name of "diversity".

I see homosexuals as unfortunately damaged goods.  I hope the day comes when their
condition can be treated or cured.

That being said,  I'm not actively anti-homosexual.   I'm no more their enemy than i
am the enemy of someone who has cancer.   I see both types of people as having an
unfortunate condition that I hope can be treated and cured some day, that's all.

As long as people aren't getting in my face about their lifestyle,  we won't have any
problems at all.      Do what you want but if it involves intimacy,  do it where I can't see
it, no matter who you are or where you are.  (Unless it's my girlfriend with me.)

CJ
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You bring up a really good point - but consider this:  This is the final civil rights frontier for the US.  They made a big deal about other civil rights movements (women, blacks...).  Is this cause less important?  What do you guys think?

Being Black is what you are.

Smoking pole is what you do.

Apples vs. Oranges.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I am generally "pro equal rights" insofar as I recognize that homosexuals have the same civil rights recognized under the Constitution as everyone else.  

As for gay marriage, I am personally opposed because I just don't like the idea of two guys being married.  It's not a moral thing, it's a "that seems weird" thing.  

However, I think the government has no place in the marriage business.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#40]
What people do in their bedroom is their business.

If they do whatever they are doing in public, or take an agenda to the classroom it's a different matter.

We don't pay taxes to have some Commie teachers indoctrinating first graders into the mindset that the solid waste removal system of the human body is some sort of an amusement park.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My take:

Bullshit.

Enlighten us, oh wise one.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#42]
NOMB , I on the other hand , LOVE the taste of pie !
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#43]
ROME...
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I do not agree with Gay Marriage one bit. I think it is morally wrong.

BUT.

I think it should be 100% legal. The government's purpose is not to tell people what they can or can't do, when it comes to situations like this.

But, that means they don't get anything special. No tax cuts, etc. Exact same stuff a Male-Female couple would get.

If that's how it was I don't think anyone would complain at all.  That's the final goal of it all.  Everyone seems to think gays are looking for MORE rights than everyone  Not the case.  What you said is dead on.  The government really SHOULD have no place in it but they do.

It goes along the argument before: Let gays be as miserable as hetero couples.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
As far as I'm concerned, homosexuality is a disorder that needs to be treated or cured

You've got to be kidding me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being Black is what you are.

Smoking pole is what you do.

Apples vs. Oranges.

A great deal of well established psychologists and scholars in the field of social psychology would disagree with you.  Freud being a main stream example.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Meh, I don't care who you fuck.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#49]
To bad God isn't an ARFCOM member.  The biggest lie and downfall in American society is that there is no "wrong" and "right," just what "feels good".  

Practicing homosexuality is living in sin.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#50]
As a fan of freedom and equality, I support gay rights.

It depresses me to see so many here who allow their religious beliefs cloud their judgement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top