Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2001 1:44:35 PM EDT
[red]RANT MODE ON FULL AUTO[/red]

I went to my local indoor pistol range this afternoon and while signing in to use the range the guy said that he needed to see my FOID(Firearm Owners Identification) Card. This particular gun shop/range never required people to show a FOID card just to use the range. I’ve been to other ranges in Illinois that did require a FOID card to use a range, but didn’t think of it as a state law. So I asked the guy if thr requirement to have a FOID card just to use the range was a state law or the gun shop’s law. The guy said according to the way the politicians read the law(that irked me right there. I didn’t know politicians knew how to read), anyone in the state of Illinois in possession of a firearm must have a FOID card. So I asked him, what about people who want to take shooting lessons. The guy replied that if he is with a licensed instructor such as from the NRA, then the "student" does not need a FOID card. Otherwise, anyone else would need a FOID card. The guy also said that this law has been in the books for years, but the State Police never enforced it. But apparently, the Illinois State Police, whether they are on gun owners side or not, have been forced by anti-gun politicians to enforce the FOID card law.
 Not that I like any of the gun laws in Illinois, but I almost can accept the fact that if a person of Illinois really wants to own a gun and shoot firearms on a regular basis that he needs to have a FOID card. Again, I can almost accept this. Being a gun owner in Illinois, I am  forced to accept it.
 But for someone who just wants to experience the sport of shooting for one afternoon with a friend, but doesn’t want to own a gun, being required to purchase and go through a background check for a FOID card and waiting weeks for the FOID card to be sent, just for them to go to a range for an hour or two once or twice in their life just to see if they like shooting or not is totally asinine!!

What do these wonderful human beings of Illinois politicians have in store next?? Having little 12 yr old Tommy show his FOID card before he can unwrap his Red Ryder BB gun at Christmas??!!

[red]RANT MODE ON SAFE[/red]

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]The guy replied that if he is with a licensed instructor such as from the NRA, then the "student" does not need a FOID card. Otherwise, anyone else would need a FOID card. The guy also said that this law has been in the books for years, but the State Police never enforced it. But apparently, the Illinois State Police, whether they are on gun owners side or not, have been forced by anti-gun politicians to enforce the FOID card law.[/b]

There is no exemption except if you are and out of state person using your firearm hunting or target shooting legally or if you are under the age of 18 and under the direct supervision of the parent who has to have a FOID.  Illinois law = no FOID no Shoot except for the above exemptions!

In Dupage County at Gun World in Bensenville someone brought armor peircing ammo and fired it at the indoor range.  (they allow center fire rifles).  The rounds were going through the armor and through the brick wall and exited the building in a residental area.  After that the State Police were there Checking FOID cards at the range.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I see I'm not the only one in Illinois who can't stand these stupid,draconian firearms laws.(damn chicago liberals). I vote we eject cook & dupage counties from the state. (Sell 'em to Wisconsin, maybe). Anyone second the motion?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
We also have no concealed carry- despite our State constitution mimicing the United States 2nd ammendment word for word. I am not necessarily against "license and registration" as long as I can defend myself and mine... How do we change it? Anyone?

[8D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
HEY I feel your pain!!! BUT leave WISCONSIN out of this. WE have enough problems with Madison!!WE just now got CCW to be voted on in the state house.(I don't think it will pass!!)Maybe Chicago can be its own little utopia with that Idiot Mayor for it guru![):)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HEY I feel your pain!!! BUT leave WISCONSIN out of this. WE have enough problems with Madison!!WE just now got CCW to be voted on in the state house.(I don't think it will pass!!)Maybe Chicago can be its own little utopia with that Idiot Mayor for it guru![):)]
View Quote

LMAO   [;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#6]
and they keep getting re-elected by......
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
This has been going on around the Chicago area this year.  I brought two new shooters to gun world to try it out, and they could not go in.

I just keep FOID apps in my trunk, and hand them out to people.  

Anwyays, I am going to Bristol tommarrow, anybody up to shoot?
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I often go to Gun World as it is the only indoor range and the closest range where I can shoot my rifles. I always known this place to be strict with FOID cards and type of ammo used. I am not about to argue with them as I want this place to stay in business so I can enjoy shooting my rifles there.
It's a shame that millions of gun owners rights are lost just because one idiot had to shoot armor piercing bullets in an indoor range.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and they keep getting re-elected by......
View Quote

The Democratic majority. The city of Chicago being the largest populated city in Illinois and makes up the bulk of voters is made up of mostly liberal, anti-gun democrats. I know and talked to many people who live in Chicago and they HATE guns. Mainly because of the gang violence there and their view is get rid of all guns. Handguns are already banned there. I even know people in the military that live in Chicago and they even support gun control.
The rest of Illinos is mixed between pro and anti gun. Still the majority is made up of the soccer-mom types that don't support the 2nd amendment.
With all the pro-gun voters in Illinois who rallied together in the past presidential election, Al Gore still won Illinois over G.W. Bush.
Illinois gun owners only hope of gaining back their rights is either the gun hating population has a change of heart and view of guns and starts voting for pro-gun politicians or these same people get lazy and forget to vote for their gun-hating politicians or if the 2nd amendment is forced by the federal government upon all states rather than letting each state make up it's own constitution.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I often go to Gun World as it is the only indoor range and the closest range where I can shoot my rifles. I always known this place to be strict with FOID cards and type of ammo used. I am not about to argue with them as I want this place to stay in business so I can enjoy shooting my rifles there.
It's a shame that millions of gun owners rights are lost just because one idiot had to shoot armor piercing bullets in an indoor range.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
View Quote

Well, you better use that place while you can, cause there is going to be a runway on that building soon.  Right behind it is the airport.
I talked to one of the dudes there a while back, Daley is going to take that place out with the new runway.
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Chicago.

I will be out of here in a year and a half when I graduate.  Probably back to VA (aside from the one handgun a month thing, not a bad state).  

Unfortunately, IL is like the other states with major cities--the population of New York, LA and San. Fran., Chicago, generally can overcome the population of the rest of the state (the moderates and conservatives that live close but not in the city) and control the political agenda for the state.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, you better use that place while you can, cause there is going to be a runway on that building soon.  Right behind it is the airport.
I talked to one of the dudes there a while back, Daley is going to take that place out with the new runway.
c-rock
View Quote

I don't know how that can be. That whole section of buildings on the north side of Irving Pk Rd would need to be taken down for a clear landing/takeoff passage for planes if they made a runway there.
Also, I don't see with all the complaining of Bensenville residents on air traffic noise how a runway can be built right across the street, just a few hundred feet, from a large community of homes.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Armaliter,

Asking for a FOID card has been going on for a while. I'm just surprised that the shop you visit took so long to catch up.

The local store will not even let people handle the guns in the diplay case unless they have a FOID card.

Right before I bought my Beretta 92FS, I wanted to take the basic pistol course offered by the local NRA guy. But before I could, I needed to have a FOID card since I would be touching a firearm.

Grrrrr... I hate IL.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe it should be called the [b]F.T.I.D.[/b]
Firearm TOUCHERS Identification Card.

Because according to Illinois law-makers, you don't necessarily have to OWN a gun or even shoot a gun in order to need a FOID card.

All you need is to touch it!!

Like I said, it seems pretty stupid for a person to have to go through all the paperwork just to pick up a gun.

And what about ammunition. Why does anyone buying in Illinois need a FOID card to look at ammunition???? I can order ammo from a company outside Illinois without a FOID card and have it delivered to by front door! So what good does the FOID card do there??

What is the danger of handling ammunition at a gun store without a FOID card?? Is someone going to "throw" the round at over 1000 fps??

How politicians get away from passing laws that make no sense and why people support these laws is making my head hurt. [>:/]

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I was on leave visiting my in-laws, who live in Oak Lawn (Cook County) and wanted to go shooting, but didn't bring any ammo (other than my self defense stuff) and called to find out where to buy ammo. No go from every place I clled, even though I'm military, and a non-resident.
Well, that part is changing, due to the new shotgun museum and shooting range being built in southern Ill. But I couldn't even "legally" let my father in-law handle my CQB (but behind closed doors who cares).
I've told my wife that I refuse to live in that communist state, and she is okay with it (for now).

[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#16]
-----------------------------------------------
The Democratic majority. The city of Chicago being the largest populated city in Illinois and makes up the bulk of voters is made up of mostly liberal, anti-gun democrats. I know and talked to many people who live in Chicago and they HATE guns. Mainly because of the gang violence there and their view is get rid of all guns. Handguns are already banned there. I even know people in the military that live in Chicago and they even support gun control.
The rest of Illinos is mixed between pro and anti gun. Still the majority is made up of the soccer-mom types that don't support the 2nd amendment.
With all the pro-gun voters in Illinois who rallied together in the past presidential election, Al Gore still won Illinois over G.W. Bush.
Illinois gun owners only hope of gaining back their rights is either the gun hating population has a change of heart and view of guns and starts voting for pro-gun politicians or these same people get lazy and forget to vote for their gun-hating politicians or if the 2nd amendment is forced by the federal government upon all states rather than letting each state make up it's own constitution.
-----------------------------------------------

Their is still one other option.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Is there something about living in a city that makes people stupid or do all the stupid people want to live in a city? Densely populated areas seem to be devoid of common sense.

Living in down state Illinois is like living down wind and down hill from a big hog farm. You have to live with all the shit and all the stink, even if you keep your own place clean.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't know how that can be. That whole section of buildings on the north side of Irving Pk Rd would need to be taken down for a clear landing/takeoff passage for planes if they made a runway there.
Also, I don't see with all the complaining of Bensenville residents on air traffic noise how a runway can be built right across the street, just a few hundred feet, from a large community of homes.

Simple.  They are gonna do it to save the Chirrens!

My wife & I were born & raised in Chi.  We escaped!  I strongly urge all of you who can to escape.  If enough good folks leave Chi, lets see how Dick II's Utopia pans out.  Who will pay your taxes lil dick?

Went to the Springfield gun show last weekend.  Had to produce a FOID just to touch Ammo / Firearms. Nice selection of Beanie babies & snausages tho!

Mike
[+]:D][>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Interesting letter from the COncealcarry newsletter I got today.  Kind of describes Chicago's Utopia...

HE TRUTH ON THE WAR IN CHICAGO

In recent news the shooting deaths of 2 black women in Chicago, one on
the
stairs of her church, has reawakened the cry for MORE GUN CONTROL for
random
firearms attacks...

What the City and the Chicago Police Department is NOT Telling the
General
Public is that they are in the midst of the largest Gang/Turf War the
city
has expereienced since the days of Al Capone and Prohibition.  All over
DRUGS......

Word on the street from RELIABLE STREET SOURCES on the City's west side
is
that the 2 waring Gang Factions in a terrority dispute over the largest
drug
terrority in the city is only beginning....the unfortunate deaths of the
black women was no random shooting, no stray bullet but  a very loud and

clear message from one gang to the other.....and this is only the tip of
the
iceberg of innocents caught in the middle to come...

Chicag of Chicago Mayor Richard Daley and his goons are trying to
downplay
anything that has to do with gangs and or drugs and make this the poster

child of gun control....how much more control do they need they already
have
a gun free city...for the innocent and law abiding that is...  Local
aldermen
and precinct captains are avoiding calls the issue completely from
frightened
residents that have the guts to call...all hoping it will fizzel out
without
much more violence and death that the media can sink its teeth into.

Residents on the west side are not stupid and they are scared and there
is no
calvery coming to their aid ...the calvery has gone south for the
duration of
this gang/turf/drug war and the local media has been TOLD to keep it
under
wraps and only report the need for MORE gun control !  

We've yet to hear how they intend to deal with the lawless and law
breakers...as usual..

Top Ranking police officials are looking for any excuse to not confront
the
issue they KNOW exists and play along with Daley and make it another
antigun
mantra...

Problem is the street cops on the West Side KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS AND
WHAT
IS HAPPENING AND WHAT IS ABOUT TO COME DOWN...and they have made their
stand
that they FLAT REFUSE to get involved and put themselves in the line of
fire......

Residents of the West Side are in absolute terror and their cries and
pleades
to City Hall and the Police Headquarters are being flat out ignored....

Gangs are licking their chops at the City and Police Departments Flat
refusal
to acknowledge the real senario in place and are making plans and
carrying
them out undaunted and unchallenged....

Welcome to the City of Chicago's West Side.....enter at your own risk !!

Regards,

Xxena
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[red]RANT MODE ON FULL AUTO[/red]
But apparently, the Illinois State Police, whether they are on gun owners side or not, have been forced by anti-gun politicians to enforce the FOID card law.
What do these wonderful human beings of Illinois politicians have in store next?? Having little 12 yr old Tommy show his FOID card before he can unwrap his Red Ryder BB gun at Christmas??!!
[red]RANT MODE ON SAFE[/red]
[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
View Quote

The ISP is just doing their job. Those folks are suppose to enforce the laws and if they individually don't do the job, the govt will bring someone that will.
The problems with politicians is that the gunners just complain/whine about state gun laws, and complain that the NRA and state gun rights orgs don't do anything.  The trick is to personally campaign for pro politicians and against the antis.  Its nothing glamourous, and a hell of a lot of WORK. Like here in Calif, you are pretty much in the minority. Plus to make matters worse, many of the gunners don't want to even reg to vote becaues they don't want to serve on a jury or be put on a list, so....
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:41:32 AM EDT
[#22]
OUCH!

Armaliter,

I am also a resident of the politically correct state of Illinois. I too HATE this garbage. In Illinois, it is illegal to own a gun and or ammunition without an FOID card. I had the pleasure of being arrested for this some years ago after I shot an intruder standing over me in my bedroom. My FOID card had expired the week before. After untold thousands of dollars, I was given all of my guns back that the Peoria Police Department came in days later with a warrant and removed from my home. Did I mention I went to jail that day for obstruction? I was cleared of the charges and the judge gave me some information: "If you own a gun then have your FOID card current" For a gun range to check your card is not illegal however, I would NOT allow them to see it. They have no basis to check it. Unless you decide to make am ammo purchase or a gun purchase. The next time you go in refuse to show them and tell them it is private and confidential. I do it all the time and have yet to be refused shooting anywhere. If I go to a range to shoot IPSC or IDPA, some clubs require the card number. Again I refuse, based on the fact that it is personal and confidential. I reinforce the fact that I am a legal gun owner and will only show my ID, because that's what it is, to law enforcement officers only if needed to prove I am within the law. What really makes me upset is when you buy a gun they still do a background check on you anyway. The whole idea behind that card was to make sure you are a law abiding citizen. Talk about stupid!

I will be voting for Patrick O'Malley for Governor and John Cox to the senate. O'Malley is the only candidate FOR CCW. Something to consider at the polls next year. Down with ryan and his "let's do what other states do" and raise our fees on car tags......GEEZ!

Where in Illinois are you from? I am located in Eureka, just outside of P-town. I moved out several years ago...    
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Btw...Illinois residents, if you live in Chicago there is a group that is really active. John Birch, hope I spelled it correct. His group, conceal carry inc is on the cutting edge. He is an in your face person. Read some of his information. http://www.concealcarry.org/
Sign up for his news letter. He IMO is a real stand up guy fighting for gun owners.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
c-rock
View Quote

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
View Quote

I am not sure if it is a runway, but I got my info from the mexican dude that works there, who wears tons of gold. Something from the airport is going there.

You know who I am talking about. [;)]

c-rock
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am not sure if it is a runway, but I got my info from the mexican dude that works there, who wears tons of gold. Something from the airport is going there.

You know who I am talking about. [;)]

c-rock
View Quote

Yes I do. He often works upstairs at the range desk and he is actually more helpful and honest than the two "white" guys that work there.

If O'Hare does build something in the area, I hope Gun World will try to open an indoor rifle range someplace else nearby instead of going out of business.

I hear Bass Pro Shop in Gurnee allows ARs now. You ever been there? It is ALOT further from me than Gun World,about an hour away, but I would like to try it out if they allow ARs and other centerfire semi-auto rifles.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Bass Pro allows AR's? I didn't think they allowed rifles at all!

Hmmmm.. might be worth looking into, it's farther than Bristol, but a lot closer than Ottawa.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#27]
The Bass Pro in Gurnee allows rifles up to .378 wertherby.  No fifty's.  
Its $9.00 a hour.  25 yrd indoor range.  
This is the email I got from them a while back.  
I am that nice to share.

If you make it to gurnee, forget going there, go up to bristol.  Its not much farther up the road.  Plus it is outside. Easier on the lungs, and on the ears.
c-rock

][email protected]

Your rifle is fine as long as it is not fully auto or capable of firing
bursts. In additon armor piercing, incinderary or exploding rounds are not
allowed. Jerry Van Huis is the store Manager and if you have any issues
with misinformed associates he can correct them on the spot. You asked do
we want your business...... My answer absolutely!!!!!!!!!!! Come on in and
give us a try!

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I forgot, Maxon's inn Des Plaines, the back range is setup to handle rifle shooting now. They re-built it just recently.  
Only thing is,
you have to be part of the "crew" there to shoot rifle.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Grrr.... private ranges.

I don't network enough to get invited to any. [B)]

I guess it's Bristol then. Although 2 weeks ago the RO let my buddy fire 5 9mm rounds full-auto to test a mag in his m-11.

Should have seen the looks on peoples faces! Some people were PISSED! RO was standing behind him the whole time, and gave my buddy full approval. Love messing with the hunters...

Av.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Grrr.... private ranges.

I don't network enough to get invited to any. [B)]

I guess it's Bristol then. Although 2 weeks ago the RO let my buddy fire 5 9mm rounds full-auto to test a mag in his m-11.

Should have seen the looks on peoples faces! Some people were PISSED! RO was standing behind him the whole time, and gave my buddy full approval. Love messing with the hunters...

Av.
View Quote

Maxon's is not a private range, but rifle shooting it is. I usally go there for pistol, and .22, and shotguns.  
Still working on getting in on the rifle part. Just really for testing, and for new shooters.

those hunter types have issues.  I did let some mini-14 guys try my AK and AR.  They left with a different attitude.

This one guy showed up with his kid. They had a M1A, and a AR.
I was there with the 590A1, 10/22, SLR-95, and my AR15. All sitting in the rack during a break.
Guy came over, and said, "you have a good start on a black rifle collection"  
Had to giggle to that.
All in all, a good day.  I like shooting there. Saves on the ammo, work on the marksmanship, the breaks give you a chance to B.S with others.  
This Saturday was empty.  These next couple of months are going to be like that.  

I want to plan a dusk shoot there, to see how bad the flash is on my rifles and such.  They are open till 5:00 pm.

c-rock  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top