Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2008 4:55:02 PM EDT
I've seen on here a bunch of times about how Congress might go to fillibuster proof majority in the Senate and the House is expected to become more Democrat.  Why is that?  How is it that they're expected to gain more seats when they're running a 9% approval rating, less than half of the President they like to blame everything on.  Please explain, because I don't see how the most unpopular Congress in recent history is expected to go further into the favor of the people who are ruining it.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not see how.  All of the house seats are up for reelection.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
As I've said before: The Democrats act like the Republicans are still in charge; despite having majorities in both chambers, they present themselves as "the underdogs." People who don't pay attention believe them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Because the media wants more Dims and they are not unbiased observers, they have gone full fledged political and have become the marketing wing of the DimokRAT party.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Because the media wants more Dims and they are not unbiased observers, they have gone full fledged political and have become the marketing wing of the DimokRAT party.

It's sad, but true.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Just the fact Obama is on the presidential ballot means more of the welfare state will vote.  They all know that Democrats are the only ones who look out for the po' folks and could potentially vote a straight ticket.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Generally people aren't happy with congress as a whole but they're happy with their Reps & Senators.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
imo with the sweet housing deals and the drilling BS, i see the democrats LOSING more seats.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Generally people aren't happy with congress as a whole but they're happy with their Reps & Senators.

We have a winner!  Thank you.  The overall approval ratings of Congress are irrelevant.  The approval ratings of individual representatives and senators by their constituents is what really counts.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Because they liken every republican incumbent or candidate to Bush.  And the media says so.

Oh and those asshole protest voters.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Because the american people are a bunch of morons that believe the Republicans are still in control of Congress.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've seen on here a bunch of times about how Congress might go to fillibuster proof majority in the Senate and the House is expected to become more Democrat.  Why is that?  How is it that they're expected to gain more seats when they're running a 9% approval rating, less than half of the President they like to blame everything on.

Because there are far too many people who vote R or D, period.  And there are more who insist upon choosing "the lesser of two evils".

That California Legislature has an even worse approval rating than Congress.  Guess what?  Other than the ones getting termed out, they'll all be re-elected, unless they're caught with the proverbial live boy or dead girl.

On top of all that, you have to remember that half of all people have an IQ of under 100 points.  They crowd into big cities and vote Democrat because they're incapable of thinking or reasoning, but they'll gladly protect their welfare check, their union job, their injured sense of "fairness", or just plain do what the brightly-colored signs tell them to.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Because a few years ago when we had the Presidency, the Senate and the House the ass hats did nothing thereby disillusioning the base.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Why is Congress expected to go more to the Democrats?

Who is saying that, the media?

The same media that is pushing for Obama to win?

You need to change channels to reality and stop being propagandized by their bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
DRILL HERE, DRILL NOW
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I've heard that history shows that The People like (and vote so) the Congress and President are from opposing Parties.  

I guess the view is it's good to balance it all out.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Alot of it has to do with President Bush's low favorable rating.

People are "Punishing" the Republicans because HE'S the focal point.

Considering though that "Generic" dem' candidates are out-polling "Generic" Rep' candidates by 10-15% it IS (VERY) interesting why BHO isn't 20 points out in front by now isn't it?Hmmmmm
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#17]
In the senate we simply have way more open/vulnerable seats than they do, like by a 10/1 margin, it's simple math really.

The house is less clear cut, but if you look at the individual races the case is pretty strong the Dems will pick up seats.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]
We need to make Congress as pro gun as possible, in case Obama gets elected.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Considering though that "Generic" dem' candidates are out-polling "Generic" Rep' candidates by 10-15% it IS (VERY) interesting why BHO isn't 20 points out in front by now isn't it?Hmmmmm
Yeah but Congress as a much lower favorable rating than Bush.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I know man.

I just mentioned it because the fact that BHO doesn't seem to be sharing in those huge  percentages showing favorable outcomes for the dem's is interesting (To me at least).
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#23]
This is why you should help your local Republicans win the seats. Voting for the POTUS isn't enough. You need to elect Senators and Congressmen as well. If you put a McCain/Palin sign in your yard also put up one for your Congressman and Senator as well. Get the name recognition out there. Most of these guys face little oppositon, and that why they keep getting re-elected.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I know man.

I just mentioned it because the fact that BHO doesn't seem to be sharing in those huge  percentages showing favorable outcomes for the dem's is interesting (To me at least).
I think it is because the saying "all politics is local" rings true.  In most congressional districts you have pet issues that are important to those voters, perhaps one opponent opposes some sort of factory or something along those lines or the guy may just be a well known good ole boy who shares no core Obama values.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Because McCain choosing Palin is the first thing the Republican Party has done so far to indicate that maybe they've figured out what everyone else knew while they were losing control of Congress?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Because a few years ago when we had the Presidency, the Senate and the House the ass hats did nothing thereby disillusioning the base.

And angering the independents.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's sad, but true.

Roger that!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Several reasons:

* Backlash against GW, his policies, and appointees.
* Repub. congress critters quitting and opening up what were safe seats.
* A continuous trickle of Repub. corruption and idiocy scandals.

The common thread is self-inflicted wounds.

If we can take McCain/Palin at their word that they will root this out, things could be very different at the next election.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#29]
It's called propaganda.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's called propaganda.

This.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Vote Republican.

There are still seats the Dems hold that are only a frog's hair from losing this year. Just vote and get your family and friends to vote.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Going to sound like a whacko-religious-nut... but try reading Revelation, Daniel, and Ezekiel - it is all laid out in those three books...
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Media told us it would.

People are sheep.

Most folks still think the Republicans are now and have been for the last two years in charge of the Congress.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I do not expect it to go that way.  The media wants it to happen so they tell us for 6 to 8 months that it will happen.

Just like the Presidential election.  They want Obama to win so we have been hearing for a good while that he is winning.  It is bullshit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top