Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2008 12:37:51 PM EDT
First off I live in NY state and was at the Rochester Brooks shooting range. I own a Colt sporter Hbar model 6600 preban made in 1992. I was at the shooting range with the original 20 round magazines that came with my rifle. These magazines came without a date on them. I was enjoying some shooting when a fellow ar15 shooter started rapid firing 30 round mags. First thing I thought was here we go again with the expert range asshole. This guy banned me for a day once before when I had a guest pick up a weapon as I was firing. I guess guests are not even supposed to pick up an unloaded weapon while the member is firing. So I was banned for the day oh well. I wish the other AR owner was not shooting the way he was because I knew it would bring over the head expert. He is such an expert that he calls a M-16 rifle an M-17 and doesn't know how to even load a .22 semiauto for a new memeber.
This range pro wanted to check everyones magazines to see if the dates were before sept 1994. Everyone had a magazine that was made before the 1994 date. He didn't ask me to see my 20 rounders but what if he did? My question is I have other mags that were made and bought before the ban but they don't have a date. Is there a way to prove that my colt 20 rounders or thermold and orlite mags are legal?

Orlite mags say on them orlite-eng co
1135-1673 with a circle that says o/34

Thermold has an H22 on it says d @d inc wilson, nc usa

Thanks for any help. If you ever go to this shooting range watch out for this guy he is a rude prick that really knows nothing about any kind of guns except for over under shot guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
quit the rochester brooks and join the GCL, no one will bother you while shooting there unless you're doing something blatantly against  the rules.

ETA: GCL = Genessee Conservation League range
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would find another range!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
quit the rochester brooks and join the GCL, no one will bother you while shooting there unless you're doing something blatantly against  the rules.

Do you have a contact number there?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
 I'd tell him to FOAD.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.gclrochester.com/

Found it thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
another case of 'we are own own worse enemy'.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If they don't have a date on them tell him to fuc* off.

FREE
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a contact number there?

http://www.gclrochester.com/

awesome range, I wish that there was a range like that around here
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 I'd tell him to FOAD.

+1 He has no right to demand to check the dates on your AR16's magazines!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
 I'd tell him to FOAD.

seriously, sounds like a real cunt.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 I'd tell him to FOAD.

Lick my chocolate starfish.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the magazine law in NY? Is it illegal to own mags that were made after 05/94? If the answer is no to the question then I would tell him as politely as possible to go fuck himself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#13]
get a china marker and write 1975 real big on the floorplates or on the side.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks that club is half the price and looks sweet. The club I am at now hardly ever had wood set up to pin a target on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The NY AWB mirrors the old fed AWB as far as I know.

Additionally, you're shooting on private property.  You have the freedom to either comply with their requests / inspections or shoot at another range.

I certainly wouldn't want to give that place my money.  

true that is why I want to be sure that all my stuff and friends mags are legal before we go because he would call the police.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#19]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=34&t=321710

My recent case study of such places........
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I'd tell him to FOAD.

IMO, I'd talk to the guys who run the range, it sounds like this guy is probably hurting their business.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I'd tell him to FOAD.

Lick my chocolate starfish.

That's nasty.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I'd tell him to FOAD.

IMO, I'd talk to the guys who run the range, it sounds like this guy is probably hurting their business.

He is. My situation was that we set up our targets(only people on range) Put on the shooting glasses and ear plugs fired 2 rounds and put down rifle. Range pro(drove by 30 yards away) says I am banned for the day because the guest(who was a 2 tour Vietnam vet) touched the shotgun on the bench(which was unloaded) and I guess that was against the rules for guests. My friend said he was not getting a membership there after driving 1 hour.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would find another state.

This is EXACTLY the right answer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sickening.

Find a modern rifle friendly club.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sickening.

Find a modern rifle friendly club.

He just needs to join the GCL.

It's an awesome club, I wish that there was something like that out here.  The range i'm a member of out here is an hour away and has all sorts of silly rules.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#26]
  Is this your range master?  

"People think I'm crazy...worry all the time..."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j5Be5a86uA
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Spend your money elsewhere.  Even if you do comply with what they want you will continue to be harrassed, just because someone owns a firearm does not make them your philosophical ally.  Show an AR or any other EBR at a Fudd range and you will likely be harrassed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Brooks was quickly disqualified when I was searching for local ranges, due to excessive fuddness and, to some extent, price.

GCL ended up coming in second in my search, due to price and the range design.  I went with Canandaigua Sportsmen's League.

Poster above is right, fighting guns are frowned upon in pretty much all NY ranges.  Your best bet is to find one that's willing to overlook them in exchange for the membership fees, and which is often empty.

You'll still have to be polite about the noise, since it's hard to find any range that doesn't have close neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#30]
i would move to a free state
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i would move to a free state

Tried that, got too hot, came back.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn..........just damn.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#33]
dude, Find another club..and fast....

i would drive three hours one way for a day...then deal with that total BS !

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
 I'd tell him to FOAD.

I'd move out of that fucking commie state.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a winner!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I need to join GCL.  I used to be a Brooks member...  But it's a bit high, and so is ammo.  

Most of the crowd was pretty good, I didn't get much stinkeye for the EBRs.  But it is definately more of a shotgun range.  For rifles, they don't really give a shit.  Sometimes wood is up, and sometimes it isn't.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
get a china marker and write 1975 "pre-94" real big on the floorplates or on the side.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#38]
The Thermold and Orlite magazines are pre-September 1994 manufacture.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#39]
This is, incidentally, a good argument for specifically buying datestamped preban magazines.  NYS is not a great place to rely on presumption of innocence.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Shit on his doorstep.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

BS, I had a know it all member bother me there and tell me that I better hope a cop doesn't show up because I would be arrested for 5 felonies. I had 5 preban date stamped mags on me. After that I quit GCL.

There was another member that had a problem at Rochester Brooks. They called the cops on him over something stupid. You should post this in the NY HTF.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/thread
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
 I'd tell him to FOAD.

Sure you would tough guy.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS, I had a know it all member bother me there and tell me that I better hope a cop doesn't show up because I would be arrested for 5 felonies. I had 5 preban date stamped mags on me. After that I quit GCL.

sorry you had a bad experience.  I was a member from 05-07 and only have memories of good times shooting without interference by nosy idiots.  I only got yelled at once by an RO for not properly supervising my friend who was new to shooting (if a member brings a guest, only one can shoot at a time), but that's it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry you had a bad experience.  I was a member from 05-07 and only have memories of good times shooting without interference by nosy idiots.  I only got yelled at once by an RO for not properly supervising my friend who was new to shooting (if a member brings a guest, only one can shoot at a time), but that's it.

I had many great experiences there. It's just that I'm young, 22, and I think this guy thought that since he had a good 20-30 yrs on me that he would come over and be range commando that knew the law. I heard the whole "prebans are only legal in a preban rifle" line. GCL is just too square of a range for me anyways. It's great for benchrest or "long" range shooting around here though. They cater more to pistol shooters though. Best range around if you shoot pistols no doubt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Must be a democrate
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

A true "expert" knows that is the proper marking for all M-17 magazines!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Put it as 1875 and say you got them from me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Badge + gun + warrant = you can look at anything you want.

Anything less = fail.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
First off I live in NY state and was at the Rochester Brooks shooting range. I own a Colt sporter Hbar model 6600 preban made in 1992. I was at the shooting range with the original 20 round magazines that came with my rifle. These magazines came without a date on them. I was enjoying some shooting when a fellow ar15 shooter started rapid firing 30 round mags. First thing I thought was here we go again with the expert range asshole. This guy banned me for a day once before when I had a guest pick up a weapon as I was firing. I guess guests are not even supposed to pick up an unloaded weapon while the member is firing. So I was banned for the day oh well. I wish the other AR owner was not shooting the way he was because I knew it would bring over the head expert. He is such an expert that he calls a M-16 rifle an M-17 and doesn't know how to even load a .22 semiauto for a new memeber.
This range pro wanted to check everyones magazines to see if the dates were before sept 1994. Everyone had a magazine that was made before the 1994 date. He didn't ask me to see my 20 rounders but what if he did? My question is I have other mags that were made and bought before the ban but they don't have a date. Is there a way to prove that my colt 20 rounders or thermold and orlite mags are legal?

Orlite mags say on them orlite-eng co
1135-1673 with a circle that says o/34

Thermold has an H22 on it says d @d inc wilson, nc usa

Thanks for any help. If you ever go to this shooting range watch out for this guy he is a rude prick that really knows nothing about any kind of guns except for over under shot guns.

What a fucking Nazi. Find somewhere else to shoot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top