Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2008 10:23:56 AM EDT
I don't understand what would make someone want to be disarmed and defenseless in a society where the violent prey upon the weak. Especially since often times the violent show the weak no mercy at all. Hell, the violent will kill kill the weak just for fun!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

That'd be the reason for it right there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

That'd be the reason for it right there.

Quoted for truth.

Repeat a lie enough (all guns are dangerous; all gun owners are miniature Columbines waiting to go off) and enough sheeple will believe it to influence the nation as a whole.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
In the case of my wife, it came about being taught that in schools & growing up in an anti-gun liberal community.  Couple that with a household neutral (at best) on guns, and being the victim of a gunpoint robbery (including being tied up & told multiple times she was going to die).  She really didn't have much of a chance to gain a favorable opinion on guns.

I just gave her a 10/22 and she enjoyed shooting it.  That's a huge leap for her, and I am very proud.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I think alot of the time its simple ignorance, and people not thinking things all the way through.  If my only exposure to firearms was watching the 5 o'clock news and seeing the endless parade of homicides they bump up to the top of the broadcast, I might be anti-gun too.  

The bottom line is, take someone who doesn't know much about firearms to the range and show them what its about.  If they have questions, don't belittle them, answer honestly.  Teach them the safety rules, make it fun, don't criticize their shooting technique.  Start with guns that aren't especially intimidating, and then move on to the fun stuff later on, once a certain level of familiarity is reached.

To us, its clear that guns don't cause homicides anymore than spoons cause people to be fat, but to someone who has never held a firearm in their own hands, they might not have ever thought about it that way before.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I dunno, my mom's husband is really anti gun. It's one of the only topics in politics I've seen him raise his voice while discussing (well about "assault weapons" anyway).
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think alot of the time its simple ignorance, and people not thinking things all the way through.  If my only exposure to firearms was watching the 5 o'clock news and seeing the endless parade of homicides they bump up to the top of the broadcast, I might be anti-gun too.  

The bottom line is, take someone who doesn't know much about firearms to the range and show them what its about.  If they have questions, don't belittle them, answer honestly.  To us, its clear that guns don't cause homicides anymore than spoons cause people to be fat, but to someone who has never held a firearm in their own hands, they might not have ever thought about it that way before.

Exactly!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Because you are far more likely to shoot a member of your family than a burgler.

-Years of media propaganda and the general desire to stick their head in the sand account for 95% of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#8]
People are taught that the "Police will protect you."
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Explain to me how average people can choose to be anti-gun

FEAR..........pure and simple.

If they are afraid of it........they think that YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE IT!!!

Yes, people are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#10]
"I don't have a gun.  Every time I hear about a gun is when some gun-nut shoots up a mall.  Just ban them all - it doesn't effect me, and it gives me a false sense of security."

That is why.  People don't give two shits about rights they personally do not exercise.  Just look at your average GD thread.  If they don't have a dog in the fight, then most folks here would gladly ban this or that, or continue its bannination.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#11]
most of the public in this country is STUPID including Obama
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
The average non-gunner has no exposure to guns other than movies, crime, and officer friendly.  Guns are scary.

If there were no guns, there would be no gun crime.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I've made damn sure both my girls respect guns, no how to use them and have banged into their heads that they are always loaded, even when disassembled.

I take them shooting and talk to them all the time about how guns save more lives than take them.

I've done my best to offset the anti gun crap that gets thrown at them every day by the school and media.  The rest is up to them.  Unfortunately, too many kids have parents that were brought up in the 60's and 70's, and they are being taught that "Guns are the evil tools of the man, and only criminals have them".
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I find it somewhat ironic that the entertainment industry glorifies guns on tv and in movies, but yet these same people condemn them at the end of the day.

Growing up, my dad owned a few hunting rifles and took me shooting. This was after i gained a huge interest from none other than, you guessed it, movies and television. I don't specifically remember being taught in school that guns were bad per say, but i was like any other young boy, i enjoyed playing war and cops and robbers and whatever bullshit you do when you're young. My parents didn't discourage it, so here i am today.

I would think the parents would have the biggest influence. If you grow up in a pro gun, or even a neutral house, you're far more likely to grow up feeling the same way. If you are never exposed to guns, and told time and time again they are bad, you're probably far more likely to be anti-gun when you become an adult.

That's my theory anyways. Of the friends i have that are "pro-gun" they grew up around them, or were exposed to them. The people i know that are either anti-gun or indifferent, were never exposed to them.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Those people are incompetent and they know it.  And they project thier incompetence onto everyone else.

They are the people the antigunners always talk about shooting themselves or have thier guns taken away and used against them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Every TV show, if people are in danger, and one gets a gun, the others say, "What are YOU doing with a gun???  Is that gun registered?"  There's someone trying to kill them, they know that maniac is coming, but they are horrified that someone might use a gun to protect them.

And if I were in danger, I would not give a damn if the gun were registered, legal, had a barrel that was a bit too short, or any other "illegality".

Some people have a "gas chamber mentality."
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#17]
When my son was 2 years old, my ex-wife decided that he would not be allowed to play with toy guns, because "guns are evil"...about a week or so later he comes into the living room with a Lego contraption in his hand...she asks him what it is, and he replies "it's my gun! ptchoo! ptchoo! ptchoo!" Kids will find a way...now, at 10, he has a compound bow and a Red Ryder BB gun. When I had all of my kids here for Christmas and the summer, I went over gun safety with them. I told my ex I was gonna do it, and when she protested, I told her that she could not stop me and that it would be better for them to know and respect guns than live in fear and ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't understand what would make someone want to be disarmed and defenseless in a society where the violent prey upon the weak.

40+ years of media/public education indoctrination.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Because every time they see a gun on TV it's being used in a crime.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Think of how smart the average american idol watching, britney spears/lindsay lohan/paris hilton tracking, oprah watching person is then you got your answer.
Then realize by definition, half the population is even dumber than that.

The tv drones believe every single thing the anti-gun media and anti-gun screenwriters put on the idiot-tube and lack the mental capacity to logically analyze what they see-> If real life were like that hollywood shit, then there would be around 280,000,000 murders by firearm every year. In reality there are only approx 11,000 murders per year by all types of methods.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Think of how smart the average american idol watching, britney spears/lindsay lohan/paris hilton tracking, oprah watching person is then you got your answer.
Then realize by definition, half the population is even dumber than that.

The tv drones believe every single thing the anti-gun media and anti-gun screenwriters put on the idiot-tube and lack the mental capacity to logically analyze what they see-> If real life were like that hollywood shit, then there would be around 280,000,000 murders by firearm every year. In reality there are only approx 11,000 murders per year by all types of methods.

This is why we must get out the VOTE Obama tells them how good he is for them
Just like his buddy the Ex Mayor of Detriot(?)
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Honestly, a lot of it probably has to do with the impression that the thugs on the street, with their "nines" and "Glock fo'tays," are a representation of the average gun-owner.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Conditioning from birth and fear.

Almost every person I've encountered (who have any sense in them) that I've talked to about firearms have changed thier perceptions.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Ignorance and conditioning, same as why some  religious people want to tell me how to live my life since they've been conditioned the same way (abortion, living in sin, ect...).  Both need to butt out of my life.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
 People don't give two shits about rights they personally do not exercise.  Just look at your average GD thread.  If they don't have a dog in the fight, then most folks here would gladly ban this or that, or continue its bannination.

Absolutely.  When old Uni-Vibe expresses some flavor other than the dominant koolaid, he gets labelled "Troll" and worse.  

Free Speech for Me, but Not for Thee!

Was it ever different?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#26]
The Commies have em hoodwinked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top