Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2008 9:26:22 PM EDT
or both?  worried about salt and rust.. it will be locked in the glove box of a jeep...if it matters its a kimber 1911

last time i went to the beach i was about 10 so i have no idea what a short amount of time in salty air can do..

thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Both!!

put a nice coat of oil on it before you go, and clean the sand out of it when you get home..
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you're leaving it in the glove box why don't you just put it in a ziploc bag or some other sealed container?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC recent Kimber barrels have horrible corrosion resistance.

I would put a light film of oil on it.  I had a light coat of rust on my AR barrel after 10 minutes from dumping a mag or so.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Get something like this VCI emitter and put it in the baggy. You might pick one up at a gun store. You can get a smaller quantity from some web sites.

Poly Gun Bag

ETA: I got mine from theinhibitor.com

The SHEATH mentioned below is good stuff. I use it on my reloading equipment. No rust.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Both. But don't use too much. The air is much worse at night. Salt fog and whatnot.

Rub it down with a little sheath (now called barricade). Very good stuff. I know people that live on an island in Fl and keep their windows open all the time. They oil their guns about once every 2 months with CLP or sheath (barricade).
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]
BOTH! you will need it for protection from nothing but the air in a glove box. Ask me how I know. And mine was oiled and cleaned.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
How about go have fun and dont worry about it.

The amount of salt air that will penetrate a closed car and a closed glove box in 3 or 4 hours probably couldnt be measured.

Its certainly not enough to harm a quality firearm.

wipe it off with a greasy rag when you get home and forget about it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top