Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 7:31:39 AM EDT
For some reason, any piece of technology I touch becomes inoperable.

First it was my digital camera that I take with me everywhere. When I power it on it sounds like gears grinding and the lens will not extend enough to take a picture. This was yesterday.

Then, the final straw this morning.

My scroll wheel on my mouse crapped out.

This kills any and all scrolling... on afrcom its absolutely necessary!

I didn't realize how much this feature contributed to the interweb experience before this morning and after 20 minutes, I miss it dearly.

Going out today to purchase a new mouse and camera.  

Damn.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
My grandmother is like that.  Any electronic instrument that she comes in contact with stops working.  We call her a pinch.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I work in the technology department at a retail store.

I might people like you all day long. One guy who tried installing his own ram somehow cracked his motherboard in two.

You're definently not alone
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think these breakages are due to negligence. Just pure bad luck.

I've had many cameras before that worked every time I powered them on. This on just up an decided to not work one day.

Same for the mouse. Worked great for a late night surfing of arfcom but then when I tried only a few hours later...Nothing.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#4]
me too,

it is well known and documented with my friends and fam, that i can stop a expensive electronic device by being in close proximity.  also my name into any data base, bank, airport, payroll, hotel, bad things happen, if i had a nickel for every time i was standing across the counter from a befuddled clerk while they are saying "sorry ,this has never happend before".
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]
good thing that those things break, most of afrcom would never leave the house otherwise!

eta: on a more serious note, I"ve got a similar trait.. if there is ANY problem to be found here in the office, I'm the one that finds it. be it hardware or software.  oh yeah, if something was going to break, guess who's using it when that happens ?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The camera is screwed and so is the mouse. But you can just use the arrow keys on the keyboard to scroll the webz in the mean time while you save up the $20 bucks to get a new one...the camera well...start saving now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
me too,

it is well known and documented with my friends and fam, that i can stop a expensive electronic device by being in close proximity.  also my name into any data base, bank, airport, payroll, hotel, bad things happen, if i had a nickel for every time i was standing across the counter from a befuddled clerk while they are saying "sorry ,this has never happend before".

I love it when that happens. Being here in Tallahassee, we have the largest electromagnetic in existence just a few miles down the road. Everytime something stops working in the store, I blame it on the MagLab. Pretty soon, everybody around is going on about the MagLab and how it destroys all electronics in the area. I walk away and they all sound like a bunch of tin-foil hatters.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's see...in the past six months,

- My computer HDD dies
- My sink disposal cracked
- My sprinkler piping cracked and leaked
- My toilet internals broke
- My TV lost sound and has no digital inputs anymore
- My Blackberry's scroll wheel died

I think I caught your disease too...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For some reason, any piece of technology I touch becomes inoperable.

First it was my digital camera that I take with me everywhere. When I power it on it sounds like gears grinding and the lens will not extend enough to take a picture. This was yesterday.

Then, the final straw this morning.

My scroll wheel on my mouse crapped out.

This kills any and all scrolling... on afrcom its absolutely necessary!

I didn't realize how much this feature contributed to the interweb experience before this morning and after 20 minutes, I miss it dearly.

Going out today to purchase a new mouse and camera.  

Damn.

Same thing happened to my Konica Minolta, which is owned now by sony. I called thier tech support and they warrentied it right away. The actual shipping process took nearly a month but the camera has worked perfectly ever since.

Contact customer support for the camera company, let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#10]
If using Firefox, space bar scrolls down, shift+space bar scrolls up.

My Nikon 4300 once wouldn't extend the lens.  I gently wiggled the lens to see if it was catching, it extended, no problem since.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
me too,

I love it when that happens. Being here in Tallahassee, we have the largest electromagnetic in existence just a few miles down the road. Everytime something stops working in the store, I blame it on the MagLab. Pretty soon, everybody around is going on about the MagLab and how it destroys all electronics in the area. I walk away and they all sound like a bunch of tin-foil hatters.  

I starting that rumor here today.  Thanks...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
pssst...buy a mac.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top