Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:49:56 PM EDT
87-year-old man found alive after three days in the wild

09:08 AM MDT on Monday, July 21, 2008

Challis, Idaho - Search and rescue crews are celebrating today, after they found an 87-year-old man missing for three days alive.

The man, whose name has not been released, went for a ride on his four-wheeler late last week according to Custer County Chief Deputy Levi Maydole.  The man became disoriented and was not able to find his way back home.

He ended up near Jim Creek in the Livingston Mine Area along the East Fork of the Salmon River – just about fifteen miles from his home in the Boulder-White Cloud Wilderness Area.

When he became disoriented, he began driving around on the four-wheeler to try and find his way, and may have run out of gas, according to Maydole.  At that point, the man stayed with his four-wheeler and decided not to hike to safety due to health concerns.

After a nearly two-day long search by Custer County officials, volunteers with Idaho Mountain Search and Rescue were called in for a relief effort.  On Sunday night, the man was spotted from a helicopter helping in the search from the air.

Crews got to the man and loaded him on a Life Flight helicopter, and paramedics took him to a Boise hospital. He is expected to be released today.

Link
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Heh, my dad is 69 and riding ATVs in Colorado right now.

(This wasn't him)

(Next story like this might be though)

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
What's his screen name ?  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Garmin GPSmap 60c for my dirtbike for just this reason.

It's a bitch when you get turned around out in the middle of nowhere.

Good for the old man for toughing it out and making it though!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]
tough old guy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top