Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 3:34:08 AM EDT
We are getting ready to fly for the first time with our 3 year old, FAA website says children flying to destinations within U.S typically don't need any proof of identification?? Typically?

Anyone got any experience of advice?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We are getting ready to fly for the first time with our 3 year old, FAA website says children flying to destinations within U.S typically don't need any proof of identification?? Typically?

Anyone got any experience of advice?

Seeing as toddlers are made mostly of liquid you need to put them in  a clear zip lock back to get them through security......

( sorry , not a lot of sleep this week and getting kind of slappy, I have no idea the requirements for flying with kids.)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
They don't need I.D. in most cases, but I've been on a few flights where a muzzle would have been very welcome.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Flying with a toddler..... Requirments?

DUCT TAPE!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Bring a BIRTH CERTIFICATE just in case..At checkin tell them you have small children, and the airline will usually accomodate you and get everyone seated together. Kids seated with both parents cause less of a ruckus.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Snacks and toys/books to occupy him.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Nyquil.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Stay fXXXng at home or take if possible the car.

I hate those *(à*ç(%" with small children sitting behind me in the plane. Give me violent toughts *kill all humans*

Serious. Find a way that they do not cry the whole flight. Much better for them, for you and all the other passengers.

But I guess with a 3 years old you should be okay.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Stay fXXXng at home or take if possible the car.

I hate those *(à*ç(%" with small children sitting behind me in the plane. Give me violent toughts *kill all humans*

Serious. Find a way that they do not cry the whole flight. Much better for them, for you and all the other passengers.

But I guess with a 3 years old you should be okay.

I have flown from Vegas to Charlotte with a kid kicking my seat the whole way and generally just causing a ruckus. Mine will not be one of those. Flying at 2100 so hopefully he'll sleep the 2 hour ride.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#9]
was waiting for that post......

ETA:  beat by OP by 53 seconds

Kids crying is a normal thing.  It isnt pleasant for parents or other around them, but it is not fair to say they can not use a mode of transportation because jr is a little fussy.  Kids dont know how to make their ears pop, so the flight is a little more uncomfortable for them too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Bring a BIRTH CERTIFICATE just in case..At checkin tell them you have and the airline will usually accomodate you and get everyone seated together. Kids seated with both parents cause less of a ruckus.

That is mostly what I was wondering, he'll be with both of us and an older niece and be in a car seat.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bring a BIRTH CERTIFICATE just in case..At checkin tell them you have and the airline will usually accomodate you and get everyone seated together. Kids seated with both parents cause less of a ruckus.

That is mostly what I was wondering, he'll be with both of us and an older niece and be in a car seat.

If you can borrow one of those $75 dvd players with screen for the boring parts of the flights...It will help you quite a bit from having ot tell kiddo from peaking over the seats and keep him busy for a while.

Also,We went to CA and had no idea we would be going to mexico while in San Diego till the last minute..Though a birth certificate is not required, its good to have in case you cvross into mexico or canada..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

edited, becasue of your edit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you can borrow one of those $75 dvd players with screen for the boring parts of the flights...It will help you quite a bit from having ot tell kiddo from peaking over the seats and keep him busy for a while.

Yeah, we have a couple of those. We have one we keep in the car, we planned on bringing that just in case too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:12:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, you could of quoted what post you were waiting for.

see above for my edit about the jack ass telling you not to fly with a kid.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nyquil.

Kharn

Ive seen a parents give benerdryl during flights to make them go to sleep.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Flying with a toddler..... Requirments?

Requirement: She must be hot!!!!

ooops, wrong thread.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#17]
What airline and time.
Dont want to be on the same flight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#18]
So you would fly with a small kid knowing he/her is in pain? Great!

I would think that some bubblegum should fix the problem tho....
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me give you that jack ass right back for flying with a small kid knowing that it causes pain to said children and discomfort for everyone else in the plane.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nyquil.

Kharn

Ive seen a parents give benerdryl during flights to make them go to sleep.

I'm a parent.  The oldest flew 21 times before the age of 3 (Southeast Alaska was home).

Kids cry usually on take off and landing due to the inability to pop eardrums during cabin presssurization.  Benedryl is very good to remove mucus from the nasal and eardrums which makes this much easier on the kids.  

No Benedryl?  Have the kid drink water while taking off and landing.  If you can't get water passed security, do get bottled water the attendents when you initially get onboard.  

Don't get the water from the tap in the head/bathroom.  You no idea where they loaded water before (cross contamination).    

Do keep snacks they like.  Limit the sugar.

Try to have you get the aisle seat to allow the kid the extra seats to romp in.  

Have the kids watch landing and takeoff from the window seat.

Bring toys... lots of them.  Do check the "play area" before flight to ensure the cabin cleanup crew was paying attention.  

Rent a DVD player.  For $10 bucks a flight, it's an easy attention getter for the kid.  

Find out which bathroom has the kid changing table before the flight and change the kid there.  Nothing like having a "loaded" diaper changed in the main cabin .

We have had countless people comment on how well the kids behaved, some even said they didn't know we were behind them....

Much luck!  It's not all that bad to fly with the kids and they will talk about it for days!

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#21]
You can't bring KIDS on a PLANE!!!!!

Morons.

Sorry...carry on.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#22]
We fly with our two kids all the time and they fly quite well.  The key is to keep them happy and keep their ears equalized.  

Here's a couple of things to be sure to bring (lists above helped):

1.  Bring a birth certificate or other form of ID. Most often they are just looking for something with their name and proof of age.
2.  Bring sippy cups and ask the flight attendant to get a drink before takeoff.  The sucking on the cup and swallowing will help them equalize their ears.
3.  Snacks...lots of pretzels, goldfish, etc.  Keep them fed, they will stay quiet and should fall asleep once their tummies are full.
4.  Toys or other entertainment.  The DVD player is a good idea...lots of shows they like.
5.  Bring their car seat if you can fit it.  If they're above 2 years old, they can't be a lap rider, so make them as comfortable as possible.  Keep them in their comfort zone and they will acclimate quicker.  Hauling the thing through the airport can be a pain, but it's well worth it.  To carry the seat through the airport we have one of these: Pac-Back
6.  They need to be in a window seat (for safety reasons).  If you're flying an airline that lets you pick your seat, make sure they can see out...it will keep them entertained during takeoff and landing.  You can also close the shade when they want to sleep.  If you get a row where you get part of a window, then you will have to deal with the other travelers maybe wanting the window open.  
7.  Also try to get somewhere forward of the engines.  The hum of the engine will help calm them down, but behind the engines is typically louder.

If I can think of more, I will let you know.

M

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me give you that jack ass right back for flying with a small kid knowing that it causes pain to said children and discomfort for everyone else in the plane.

He said "a little more uncomftorable" not torture..I do agree though it can be annoying to hear a baby screaming or whining and parents are just as frustrated and uncomftorable as everyone else..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
He said "a little more uncomftorable" not torture..I do agree though it can be annoying to hear a baby screaming or whining and parents are just as frustrated and uncomftorable as everyone else..

It doesn't have to be bad.  Plan ahead, do what you need to to keep the kid comfortable (as I described above) and things "should" work out fine.  We rarely have any trouble.

M
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#25]
The requirement would be not to fly with one while I am on the plane.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#26]
You're taking a later flight - a good idea.  The whole process of traveling may throw his schedule out of whack though.

If you think he might be a handful, you could give him a little Children's Benedryl.  It is safe, benign and it might knock him out for most of if not all the flight.  It also has the added benefit of clearing his sinuses so his ears will equalize quicker when the cabin is pressurized.

However, it could make him hyper and jittery.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You're taking a later flight - a good idea.  The whole process of traveling may throw his schedule out of whack though.

If you think he might be a handful, you could give him a little Children's Benedryl.  It is safe, benign and it might knock him out for most of if not all the flight.  It also has the added benefit of clearing his sinuses so his ears will equalize quicker when the cabin is pressurized.

However, it could make him hyper and jittery.

I think he'll do fine on the plane he is all boy and pretty fearless and is never shy to try new things, besides like you said it'll be a later flight and he'll probably fall asleep once we get going.

Some of you guys view might change once you have kids or maybe you'll just keep them away from the general public until they are 18. I have had bad experiences before with kids on planes too, there are also times I didn't even realize there were kids on the plane until everyone was disembarking.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#28]
If you're lucky, you'll get someone like my wife or I sitting behind or beside you.  While I can't stand the high pitched screams and temper tantrums, I take them for what they are...a minor annoyance that only a certain amount can be done about. (Unruly kids, especially those old enough to know better, whose parents don't get them under control is a different matter.)   My wife loves little ones and usually ends up playing games with them (making funny faces, playing peek-a-boo, showing pictures of our pets).  I do also, but to a lesser extent.  Hey, since I can't leave I might as well try to help out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Our daughter is 2 and a half and has been on 4 plane trips with her 5th coming up in a few months. We have never had any problems with her crying or acting up. Several of the people around us had those "Oh fuck, a toddler!" looks on their faces when we got on the plane... On every flight, we have had someone that was sitting near us make a comment about how well behaved our daughter was during the flight.  Have not had any problems/issues with identification yet... Our daughter looks like us... if you're a white couple trying to board a plain with an adopted Asian/Black/etc. kid, you might get more questions...

Our strategies:

* Talk about the trip ahead of time so they know what to expect - they understand a lot more than you think they do
* Book flights around nap times and bed times - our daughter has fallen asleep on every flight so far
* Be sure to have books, toys, small stuffed animals, and snacks
* Moving sidewalks, elevators, and escalators are usually fun for 3 year olds
* Make the most of your time in the terminal - we let her (quietly) play and run around a bit before getting on the plane.
* If possible, be sure to let them see the planes outside taking off, landing, getting luggage loaded/unloaded, etc. This also helps 'em to understand more about what's going to be going on.
* Our daughter has never had much trouble with her ears, but we carry Benadryl and Tylenol/Motrin just in case
* Sippy cups and/or drinks with straws
* For water, we carry large, empty Nalgene bottles in our carry-on luggage and fill them up at one of the water fountains or one of the restaurants once we're through the security checkpoint

Long before we took our first plane trip, we got into the habit of taking her to many different restaurants, stores, festivals, etc. so that she understands how to act in public. We're a bit lucky in that our kid is pretty calm/happy and she usually is pretty reserved. She also watches us for her cue as to whether the situation is OK or not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Please bring or do whatever it takes to keep the kid reasonably quiet. And if the kid has cold or flu , please consider another mode of transportation.

Last time I flew commercially there was a toddler screaming and yelling and making a fuss and spewing mucus and schmeg. Between that and the stinky person near me I now avoid commercial flights if at all possible.

And thanks for asking and trying and in advance being considerate. I can tell already you're not one of the problem types. I hope you and your family have a nice trip.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Only requirement is a pacifier please.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#32]
We flew with all three of our kids even when they were still wet behind the ears.  Their mom would nurse them (under the age of one) on take-offs and landings.  Make sure you don't load them up with sugar on the day they fly.  Give them some liquid decongestant about 30 minutes before take off.  If they are cutting teeth, make sure you keep their gums well swabbed with Numzit or Orajell Teething Gel.

The kids that act up on planes generally act up in cars, etc.  The more that kids travel, the less stress it is on them.

Even so, make sure their little asses are dragging and they're well doped when you get on the plane.

Even the Baby Jesus understands this.  It isn't child abuse.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Requirements?  Tranquilizer for either you or the kid.

AV1611 out...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Nyquil.

Kharn

+1

And ear plugs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Typical. Id take a copy of the birth cert just in case. My daughter has flown 4 times already, and she is barely two.

Pack snacks, stuff to color or doodle. If you have a portable DVD player that will be good. The only thing you have to watch for is take off and landing can cause their ears to hurt. Have a pacifier or bottle or something for them to suck on. Yawning will help too.

Good luck - you should be fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Just make sure the cardboard box has a few holes poked in it to let in the air.

No idea, seriously.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The difference is the parents are the only ones in the position to do something about it. There are things you can do other than letting a fussy child wail until they go to sleep. Plan ahead. I am much more understanding if it appears the parent is doing something other than ignoring the child to attend to the screaming. There have been some excellent suggestions made here for occupying children trapped on a plane.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#38]
[Sam Jackson] I'm Motherfucking tired of these motherfucking kids on this motherfucking plane!!! [Sam Jackson]

DVD Player
Drugs
Food
Toys
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#39]
My kids usually sleep.  Since they are forced to sit still they tend to crash out and have no issues with take offs and landings.

I envy the little buggers actually, they can actually fit in the seats so the experience is more pleasant for them than me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Jack Daniels.

Oh, you mean for the kids?

Talk to your pediatrician and pharmacist.
Decongestants may help with equalizing the ears.  Drinking or chewing on takeoff will as well,
Antihistamines can help make them sleepy, but can actually wire some kids ups

Try before you fly.

What time is bedtime?

2100 is bad because jr will be awake and stimulated by all the new yet tired.  Recipe for disaster.

Try a late nap so he wont be as tired.

toys, etc go without saying.  Portable DVD player may work for some kids too.

Flying with your kids is stressful.  (at least it is for good parents )
Good luck

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top