Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 4:29:18 PM EDT
email:
I'd like to point out how sad it is that they must state they are using replica's, and explain you can't get hurt by them.  I think they should use real guns with blanks.  and, that part was bolded in the email too (along with the building/dates)

ETA:  I am, however,  glad they are doing this training, I think its a great idea.

To: Case Western Reserve University Students, Faculty and Staff

Re: Police Training Scheduled for July 21-25

Case Western Reserve University police will be receiving hands-on training in the latest rapid response techniques to active shooter incidents the week of July 21 at Storrs House in the North Residential Village.

Training will take place inside the residence hall at 1615 Mistletoe Drive from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, July 21; Wednesday, July 23; Thursday, July 24; and Friday, July 25.

During this training, which is endorsed by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy, several uniformed officers from Case Western Reserve, University Circle and Cleveland police departments and Parma City Schools will be on site carrying replica handguns.

In addition, some of the exercises will involve scenario training in which students, faculty or staff may be posing as victims.

While in training, the officers will use Air Soft replica handguns to simulate a lifelike firing effect. Air Soft handguns are nearly exact replicas of the guns used by the police departments except that they feature an orange barrel that identifies the weapon as a training tool. The handguns function on CO2 gas and fire a small white plastic pellet at a very low velocity, so risk for serious injury or property damage is relatively nonexistent.

Throughout the week, signs will be posted around the residence hall to note police training is in progress, and police and security vehicles will be parked on site. Yellow caution tape also may be used around the building to alert members of the campus community to the training exercises.    

Contact campus security at 368-3333 with questions.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]

lol
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
saw similar at norwich university. the pussification continues
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not use what you would normally carry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no idea.  But, I imagine many of those undergoing the training are probably thinking the same thing we are, and the decision to use plastic toys made by the higher ups.

I kind of want to go watch
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The only thing I've noticed you can't really simulate with AS is the trigger reset.

The rest, in a controlled and realistic environment, is great training. Force on force type thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top