Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 9:36:02 PM EDT
Do you think the settlers just vanished due to something other then the natives killing them all?
Simular to what happened in the movie "Storm of the Century"?

Roanoke Island
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to post a link to the story as I doubt many here have heard of it.

I think it was a combination of famine and the natives.  The survivors most likely were absorbed into one of the tribes.  That doesn't explain why they never found any traces though.

ETA:

Never mind.  I am bored, so here it is.  

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony

ETA to the edit:  To slow.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Killed and eaten by the savages.

Fucking savages.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You might want to post a link to the story as I doubt many here have heard of it.

I think it was a combination of famine and the natives.  The survivors most likely were absorbed into one of the tribes.  That doesn't explain why they never found any traces though.

ETA:

No absorption.
There is no DNA/lineage attributable to that group amongst Native Americans.
They were killed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

No absorption.
They were killed.

That kills my theory.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe they built a raft to sail back to england, and they all drowned trying to save Wilson.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

No absorption.
They were killed, DIED.

That kills my theory.  

Hope my edit helps
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard they were quite tasty    ooops did I say that out loud?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
They became The Others.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:33:00 AM EDT
[#9]
It's Bush's fault.

Global Warming was a contributing factor.

Final nail in the coffin: they weren't doing it for the children.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:36:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Zombies ate them...........

(This is arfcom)

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I lived in that area for 5 years, and starvation is not an option, with a tidal sound replenished by the ocean. Most likely the natives got pissed off at them and killed them all. There are people in the outer banks who claim to be related to Raleigh's settlers, and have native american ancestry, but inter-marriage has been so common that no DNA test would prove anything after so many generations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top