Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2001 9:42:40 PM EDT
I noticed that AR15 has a strict "no racist slur" policy for posts.

I also noticed the new Sept 11 gallery has a section called "Ragheads and Hippies"

Now, I have no problem with the ragheads thing...we're not talking about Americans here, and yes, Virginia, that DOES make a difference. But what bothers me is the knee-jerk hypocracy....No racist slurs, period, end of story on the boards, but a slur for a gallery, by those running the board....

My point? Get rid of the NO RACIST SLUR policy. Institute a policy of self-censorship and self restraint. I understand how difficult that can be, and I appreciate everyone's wish that this board doesn't become a refuge for the Darren Bufords of the world. But I can't stand that on one hand we're primping for the newsies who come looking to this site for "evil" posts to demonize gun owners and on the other hand ignoring our own advise.

And for those of you looking at my number of posts and thinking, "who the f*ck is this clown", go back a few site reconstructions....I've been here for a very long time.

Vass
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand them, neither "raghead" nor "hippie" refers to any specific race, therefore, the term "racial slur" would not apply.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I get your point, Vass, however the common dance around here is "it's their board, they pay the bills, they make the rules".  I don't always agree with it, and since it's a flexible policy enforced by individual moderators with differing opinions it often comes across as hypocritical... But it does make for generally better behavior on the board. You can take it up as your banner, as others have, but I don't think it'll change. And Zardoz, for your edification, a raghead is generally a derogatory slur refering to a person of middle-eastern descent, just so you know.

It's kind of ironic, the parallels between this argument and the gun control debate...

The Mods are "doing it for the children..."
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I know what a "raghead" is, but I just don't see it as a particularly rascist remark.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't misunderstand...I don't particularly care if anyone is offended by any of the terms that may or may not be used on this board.....One of the greatest fallicies in 21st century America seems to be that you have a right to not be offended..

However, the "no slurs" rule doesn't particularly jive with the picture gallery (which I might add, is one of the best and most comprehensive that I have seen....fine job).

As for the people in the picture that "rag head" described, that is probably the most friendly moniker that could be placed on them. In the case of the hippies, they're ignorant, in the case of the ragheads, they're the enemy.

My point was that the board should be a little more self-censoring......Again, I can see moderators deleting threads posted by someone who clearly has a much deeper agenda than simple love of firearms. No one wants the place to turn into a forum for racial supremecy twits. But the occasional comment can be rather entertaining, and I think we're all adults here.

From what I can see, that seems to be the defacto policy anyway, so I guess the policy is just there so that the mods have something to point to when they have to drop the hammer.

So then, like, nevermind.

I'm bored.

Vass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top