Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2001 3:19:45 PM EDT
A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum..

Well, actually it was the Inspection Station about 30 miles prior to Van Horn,TX. operated by the Border Patrol...

Now mind you My youngst son Ian (11 yrs old) and I were driving to Arlington Tx to attend my fathers 71st b-day.And in the back of the Xterra were 3 rifles and about 1000 rds of ammo.My .45 was underneath my seat...

Although I have a CCW and reciprocity exists between AZ & TX it's still an uneasy feeling to have said armament on board whilst in another state...

Now to the point. As we rolled closer to the officer I noticed he had a sniffing dog checking out the under belly of the semi's and sticking it's snout through the windows of the autos.

I pulled to a stop, the young officer heeled the dog then looked at me and my son...His question " Are You Guys American?" I replied "Yes sir we are" At that he said "You may Go"

He was very stoic in his look...It was a quite profound situation...A very strange emotion for me to say the least.

9-11-01 has altered the very fabric of, well...everything!!!

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a good thing to read...
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You should have said, "Si."

Michael
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
That happened on my way back from South Padre island. The BP had a checkpoint.  Just asked for my DL and if I was an American citizen.  hmm.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Michael
View Quote

yes-Oui-Si...Yes-We-See...Get It???

P.S. No Offense, but I'm proud to be a born in America, English speaking, Caucasian...But you have to realize my hearitige requires the men to wear a skirt(Kilts)...[;D]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
That I know of I'm Danish, Irish, English, French and Creek Indian - a real American.
I've always wanted to say "NO" to the American question but not enough to put up with the hassle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Soon we are going to give a neat little card "proving" you are a citizen.

National ID Card, anyone?[IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]

Papers citizen!
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was stationed at MCAS Yuma, a few of us would make semi-routine trips to the Corona distributer in Algodonas, Mexico.

One trip, as we were comming back across the border with 18 cases of "Mas Finas Cervesa", the BP agent asked each of us "Where were you born?".  Everything went just fine until LCpl Robles truthfully answered "Columbia, South America".  None of us had any idea that red headed, freckle faced Robles was a naturalized citizen of Columbian / Spanish decent.  We assumed he just didn't sleep in HS Spanish class.  It took about 30 minutes to get everything straightned out with ALL of us and the beer back in the USA.

Semper Fi    
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When I was stationed at MCAS Yuma, a few of us would make semi-routine trips to the Corona distributer in Algodonas, Mexico.

One trip, as we were comming back across the border with 18 cases of "Mas Finas Cervesa", the BP agent asked each of us "Where were you born?".  Everything went just fine until LCpl Robles truthfully answered "Columbia, South America".  None of us had any idea that red headed, freckle faced Robles was a naturalized citizen of Columbian / Spanish decent.  We assumed he just didn't sleep in HS Spanish class.  It took about 30 minutes to get everything straightned out with ALL of us and the beer back in the USA.

Semper Fi    
View Quote

I have a friend (former Detroit PD - retired) that HATED going to Canada cause he got hassled at the border by customs one time real bad... (course after he told me the story...I laughed because he was hassled coming BACK into the U.S., so it was actually OUR customs that gave him the hard tiome, not the Canadians.
and this was YEARS ago.
Anyways, apparantly coming back across, (and he has an "ethnic name") the customs guy is is giving our Mr. Juoz a hard time, and asks him where does he live?, (Detroit), citizenship? (U.S.), where were you born?, ( xxxxxx, Germany)where do you work? (Detroit PD), so the customs guy starts in about my friend couldn't be a cop cause he wasn't born here, and he was naturalized and all that, but my friend wasn't naturalized, he was born on a U.S. Military Base in Germany where his Dad was stationed!

I remember one time coming across the border home with my sister from visiting my Grandmother in Windsor when I was a kid (my Mom is from Canada) and the agent was asking all kinds of questions to her, where did she work, what school she graduated from, what hospital she was born at.... that was probably 15 years or so ago.

No_Expert
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm confused: you were asked this question while still in the USA?  I thought S. Padre Island was within the US?  Were you coming back from Mexico?  That doesn't sound right since guns/ammo are a HUGE no-no in Mexico....get jailed & everything confiscated for having as little as one spent brass in your vehicle.

Did he ask for any proof other than your DL that you were an American?

I wonder how he would react to someone that did not "look" American but had a valid ID?

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Hakuna Matata, Rafiki!
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Michael
View Quote

Yeah, I did that while driving from California to Texas once.

They were not amused.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
citizenship? (U.S.), where were you born?, ( xxxxxx, Germany)where do you work? (Detroit PD), so the customs guy starts in about my friend couldn't be a cop cause he wasn't born here, and he was naturalized and all that
No_Expert
View Quote

So when did it become necessary to be a US born citizen to become a cop?  I know that naturalized citizens can't hold the office of President, but that's a long way from being a cop.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Its funny how many people do not know much about Citizenship.

When I become Naturalized, at work, at recognition party on giving part of your 5 Yrs in exchange for a Pen as Gratitude for Service, the President of Company blurted out ...I see you just got your Citizenship .. I guess Welcome into world of paying taxes ...

I opened my mouth momentarly .. and I shut it .. and smiled and took the Pen...and walked back and wondered if he was really thinking my paychecks had zero % taken out for state, federal and SS.  Wow, he must have thought I must be dumb to become a Citizen then.

Just did not want to waste time informing him that I paid all the taxes just like everyone else while I was a resident of USA.

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#16]
You have Border Patrol checkpoints at the state line? That would be different. I've never seen any between Illinois and Indiana.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I lived in El Paso nearly 3 years. Grew used to being asked my citizenship anytime I left the city - whether I was heading north (New Mexico) or East (Texas - the rest of).

Best I could figure is the BP kind of gave up on the city of El Paso - just too much traffic crossing the border.  They made their real money catching folks trying to go even further.

I've never been so glad to be nearly ghostly white (Swedish, Slovakian, and Irish blood) - made things easy).

Adam
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:17:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You have Border Patrol checkpoints at the state line? That would be different. I've never seen any between Illinois and Indiana.
View Quote

Near the US border with Mexico, there are checkpoints near the border to pick up illegal immigrants who get onto the roads after illegally crossing the border. This has been going on for years and is considered by the courts to be a function of our border security. The stops have to be narrowly focused on immigration status, and have to be brief, unless additional suspicon is developed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That I know of I'm Danish, Irish, English, French and Creek Indian - a real American.
I've always wanted to say "NO" to the American question but not enough to put up with the hassle.
View Quote
Alright.  I am .25 Creek Indian (my grandmother was full Creek).  They were an Alabama tribe (Alabama means 'here we rest' in Creek) until some were moved to Oklahoma.  Had to respond since I don't see many claim Creek heritage.  Most usually claim Cherokee.

I was running up and down US90 in TX two years ago putting in OC192 optical transmission equipment and also up I25 in NM and had to stop at quite a few of the Border Patrol checkpoints.  I was usually in a rented Exploder loaded with circuit packs.  Most of the time they would just walk around the Exploder and look in back and just motion me on.  As I pulled into one of them, I thought I would be a smartass and as he walked up I said "No habla English".  He laughed and said "Sir, the singular is no hablo, not habla".  We both laughed and I said "Well, I guess that is my Spanish lesson for the day".  He was very nice and thanked me for putting a little levity into what had been a long, boring day.  I wonder if they still have a sense of humor.  I hope so.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#20]
This is the question they should ask when someone apllies for a job, if they aint American, they should be taxed at 50%, and tattoed with a big red X on their foreheads.

This would turn America around back into a REPUBLIC, democracy my A**!

Waterdog
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Crack border guards!  I feel so safe now.  Hey, McVeigh was American.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, welcome to Texas! I see no problem whatsoever with stopping folks near the Border -we are at war, you know!

An insofar as McVeigh being American, that just means we've got a lot of work to do!

Eric The(OnOurOwn!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I feel safe now that all someone has to do to get through a border patrol is say they are american.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is the question they should ask when someone apllies for a job, if they aint American, they should be taxed at 50%, and tattoed with a big red X on their foreheads.
View Quote

To paraphrase a popular saying, no good discussion goes unpolluted...
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So when did it become necessary to be a US born citizen to become a cop?  I know that naturalized citizens can't hold the office of President, but that's a long way from being a cop.
View Quote

The Customs guy was way off-base, the only privilege or job reserved for natural born citizens is to be President or Vice President of the US.  He needed to read his copy of the Constitution, esp. Amendment 14.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

An alien sniffing dog?
View Quote

No...If M1A-A1 answered "Si Senior"....The dog will start to bark.

Alien hearing dog....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top