Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2001 1:31:36 PM EDT
Since I have the house to myself today I decided to get a few boxes of rifles I had in the closet and start cleaning the cosmoline off of them.

So far I've been at it for about 3hrs and I've only got four M44s cleaned up enough so that you can touch them without getting grease all over your clothes. They aren't even close to shooting condition yet. I've still got 8 boxes left!

I'm not gonna get all of this stuff done before everybody gets home and I have to quit. Why can't they just vacuum seal the guns in bags with a light coating of oil instead of using this crap?

Michael
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it's pretty nasty stuff, but it sure does work!

Man, you should have seen the cosmoline on my Enfield!
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
They use if for the reasons that you hate it, it doesn't come off. I hate cleaning it up too. But if want something to keep the rust off for years and years without reapplying, Cosmolene is the trick. They dug up some WW2 mausers in Cz that were coated and are in near mint condition today after 50+ years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I found that gunscrubber dissolves it no problem!
View Quote

There is a lot of stuff that will dissolve it, but it's still dripping everywhere and getting all over everything. Then it gets in all of the cracks where you have to scrub it out.

I started using mineral spirits cause its cheap and it works pretty good. If I clean too long though I get feelin kind of funny [%|]

Well, my break is up...back to work.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
every machine that we get in our shop has cosmoline all over them.  if ya think cleaning it off a gun sucks try taking it off of a fadal milling center.  that stuff is in every nook and cranny on there.  but not any rust!  thats when you go find the lowest ranking airman in the shop and set up a few days of training for them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Aqua regia works and is a good all-purpose gun cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
How do governments clean 10s of thousands if not 100s of thousands of guns when they decide to take them out of deep storage? Surely they don't have 1000s of guys sitting there scrubbing rifles while watching Junkyard Wars for days on end.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Had bad are they? Is it everywhere? Down the barrel to?
I have yet to deal with this pleasure but wonder how it's really done.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Ponyboy, cook the rifles.  No kidding. Boil a huge vat of water.  Bring it to a boil and dip your rifles.  You may want to take your stocks off the rifles.  My dad did this in the ROK forces. They used to get Surplused M1s from WWII and they would boil them in a 55 gallon drum.  The boiling will actually get some of the dings out of the wood.  You may need to sand and reoil the the stocks.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Still, cosmoline’s a lot easier to remove than rust.

If you’re doing a bunch of rifles at once (and it sounds like you are), it might be worth getting one of these auto parts cleaning setups like some garages use.  You know, a tub and brush thingy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Would you prefer rust?, take them down to your auto repair shop, and ask if you can put them into the cold parts cleaner.

Make sure you take the bolt assembly apart, if you don't, the firing pin will stick and cause
AD/ND.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Mmmmm...cosmoline.... (said in Homer Simpson voice)

Take your guns to a local furniture stripper (seen in the Yellow Pages) and work out a deal to have the entire gun assemblies dipped in the "hot tank" that is used to strip wood furniture. I doubt it will hurt metal finish, so, dip that stuff too. If it works for furniture, it will work for guns.

You might have to have the guns dipped twice, usually the second time (if needed), say about a week later, will be after you have detail cleaned and reassembled the guns, as cosmo can still weep out of wood after an initial cleaning. Bear in mind, cosmoline replaces the natural oils in the woods and permeates every pore of metal- hence no rust or rot.

Cosmoline is a pain to remove, but without it, virually all old milsurp guns would have turned into piles of rot and rust long ago.

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I luv cosmoline!!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Spray it with WD40 and wipe it right off. After that you can put whatever you want on it (CLP?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top