Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2008 9:03:39 AM EDT
So do the dems really believe that this is a good thing? Or are they just trying to get those votes from the lower class? How can anyone think universal health care is going to be better in the long run?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So do the dems really believe that this is a good thing? Or are they just trying to get those votes from the lower class? How can anyone think universal health care is going to be better in the long run?

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's both - they are pandering to the lower-income folks AND believe it's a good thing.

If designed properly, and combined with pay systems and insurance, "universal" health care doesn't have to be a bad thing.  Basically, we already have a form of it - it's just really inefficient.  Right now, people without insurance STILL get medical treatment, and YOU still pay for it.  They either get MedicAid or MediCare, which is paid for with your tax dollars, or they go to the ER and then don't pay - in which case it is paid for by your higher insurance premiums and higher hospital bills.  So it's not like people without health insurance aren't getting medical care now - so if a "universal" system makes the whole mess more efficient, but still allows private insurance, then it would actually be an improvement.

Of course, more likely, politicians will fuck it up.

True enough, although I reject the concept that it's the state's duty to provide care for anyone. Government bureaucracy will, by it's very nature, be much less efficient and more wasteful than a free-market. With over regulation, lack of tort reform, high taxation, and mandated "free care" as you outlined above, the government and pandering politicians have created our health care problems. Since government has created this "crisis" (I actually disagree that there is a "crisis"), I doubt that these same people who created this problem could do anything beneficial.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The Dems are very good at using your and my money to buy votes from nonproducers.

"Universal Health Care" = Medical Rationing

Right now people from countries with Socialized Medicine, including our neighbor to the north, Canada, and the UK, two systems held out as examples of what we should do, come to the United States for procedures and treatment they can't get under their systems back home.   Or they are put on waiting lists with the probability they will die before receiving medical care.

So, if we institute Universal Health Care, that is, Socialized Medicine like Canada and the UK, where will WE go to get proper care?

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont like the idea for many reasons, one of them is I dont want to pay for something I wont use
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top