Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2001 7:34:23 AM EDT
I'm driving past the seen of a fender-bender this morning,and when I get about a mile from it,a car with a flashing blue light comes flying up on my ass.Not a cop, but one of those volunteer guys with the blue lights on their cars(I'm not sure what their official titles are).I can see this guy in my rear view and he wants me to pull over.
I'm thinking something must be terribly wrong for this guy to try to pull me over,so I did.
He gets out of his car and writes my license plate number down,comes to my window and asks for my driver's license.
Amidst my laughter,this fat-assed,greasy moron starts ranting that I drove past the accident scene too fast and he was going to "bring me in."
I told him to piss off and drove away.
Do you believe this jerk?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Because you didn't crawl past at 5 mph gawking at yet another fender bender?

How fast were you going?  Hope you told him to suck it.  Tell him to get a badge.
Ice
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Uh oh.  Our first rubber-necker ninja has been spotted.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't know about the rest of you all, but does a monicker named [b]Pottsy[/b] using the phrase "[b]this fat-assed,greasy moron[/b]" strike anyone else as funny.

LOL
Mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Uh oh.  Our first rubber-necker ninja has been spotted.
View Quote

It's all downhill from here.  I'm quite sure this is one of the signs of the end times.

"And God said 'Let loose the rubber-necker ninja to wreack his havoc upon the earth!'  And the angels let loose the fat-assed, greasy moronic abomination upon the earth, and there was much woe."

Or something... [}:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#6]
All hail RUBBER-NECK NINJA!

The keeper of the blue flame(atop his car)

The eternal pain in the ass to anyone who has ever tried to pass an accident scene or fire.

Kneel and pay homage to the tobacco stained lips and slack jaw of this powerful being.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

[b]NEVER EVER[/b] pull over for anything but marked cars(and trucks and motorcycles).  If you have your doubts, drive to the nearest police station or a well lit area (you should do that [i]anyway[/i]).  A real cop would be pissed, but once you explain, I don't think there isn't much they can do.  This is my opinion, and not legal advice.
Any legal experts?
View Quote

Not sure about where you live, but here cops try not to even make stops in unmarked vehicles, and are very understanding when people refuse to stop for anything but a fully marked vehicle. The only caveat being that once a marked vehicle pulls in and lights up, you pull over immediately.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Jeez, if that guy tried that in CA someone would shoot him.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, that was addressed when the mallninja was at large, here in Austin.  It is extremely rare to deploy an unmarked vehical on traffic control/patrol.  So rare, as to almost [b]never[/b] happen.  For all practical purposes, it just doesn't happen.
View Quote

Uhh...not quite. Unmarked cars get used for traffic enforcement ALL of the time.

Texas law does not make any allowance for whatbtype of car is to be used in traffic stops, or what kind of equipment it has. The minmum legal requiremtn for an "emergency vehicle" is a red light displayed on the front.

That being said, an umarked cop car used in traffic enforcement will probably have the following:
1) It will be Crown Vic (now called "Police Interceptor) of some type;
2) Red and blue strobe lights mounted on the dash or somewhere else on the front;
3) "Wig-wag" flashing headlights;
4)Possibly some strobes mounted in the turn signals.

My suggestion is that if one of these gets behind you, you go ahead and stop. If you live in the Austin area, many of your local agencies, including Austin, rountinely use those kinds of vehicles for traffic stops.

For what is worth, though, I wouldn't pull over for my "cop car" (it looks nothing like I described above) and wouldn't blame anyone else for not stopping for it, either.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]
In my state it's illegal to display a red or blue flashing light in a car (yellow is ok) because that's what the police use.  Also, as soon as an officer turns on his lights, you're considered "under arrest" and must submit to his commands.

If this clown did this to me, he would've been guilty of impersonating a police officer and false arrest, both felonies.  I could have legally shot him.  At minimum, I would've arrested and held him for the police to press charges.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In my state it's illegal to display a red or blue flashing light in a car (yellow is ok) because that's what the police use.  Also, as soon as an officer turns on his lights, you're considered "under arrest" and must submit to his commands.
View Quote

What state is that? I'd like to read this law.

If this clown did this to me, he would've been guilty of impersonating a police officer and false arrest, both felonies.  I could have legally shot him.  At minimum, I would've arrested and held him for the police to press charges.
View Quote

I guess I'd need to know what state you're in too look up the statutes, but shooting somebody in this circumstance would be a heck of a stretch. Your positive defense might be that the guy was kidnapping you, but with a bogus blue light as his only means of restraint, I think that would be a long shot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm driving past the seen of a fender-bender this morning,and when I get about a mile from it,a car with a flashing blue light comes flying up on my ass.Not a cop, but one of those volunteer guys with the blue lights on their cars(I'm not sure what their official titles are).I can see this guy in my rear view and he wants me to pull over.
I'm thinking something must be terribly wrong for this guy to try to pull me over,so I did.
He gets out of his car and writes my license plate number down,comes to my window and asks for my driver's license.
Amidst my laughter,this fat-assed,greasy moron starts ranting that I drove past the accident scene too fast and he was going to "bring me in."
I told him to piss off and drove away.
Do you believe this jerk?
View Quote

Tragically, yes I believe there is a moron out there like this making us look bad. In addition to being a Boss for the FDNY, I volunteer also, and I have a stretch to get to the fire station. I need to use a blue light or 2 to get the attention of those who are too busy to otherwise pay attention to the road etc.

Rather than get into the merits of paid vs. volunteer, I would like to suggest this: Immediately go to the local fire station whose jurisdiction this accident belonged to and RAISE HELL. Get the Chief...the Comissioners...and tell them exactly what you have said here. In fact, give ME their telephone # and I WILL call them. I have a moron like that in my Engine Company (where I am a boss also [shock] and he is on his way out for that and other kinds of stupidity.

On behalf of all truely professional unpaid emergency responders, please accapt my apologies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top