Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 8:02:29 AM EDT
This story got me thinking about ammo choices for self-defense pistol ammo, while out in the woods, compared to standard rounds while at home/in the city. For instance, I carry an XD45 loaded with Federal HST +P 230gr. Knowing that my .45 is the only pistol I have right now to cover all situations, do you think that ammo is sufficient for a similar situation against a black bear? Or, given the size and bulk of a bear, would FMJ be better? What about staggering rounds between JHP and FMJ?

Let's hear opinions.

FWIW, we don't have grizzlies in Oregon so a black bear would likely be the largest animal to have to defend against (other than a sasquatch/monkee... but that's a whole 'nother thread).
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't why your combo wouldn't handle black bear. Hell you see guys at the mall that weigh more than most black bears.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This story got me thinking about ammo choices for self-defense pistol ammo, while out in the woods, compared to standard rounds while at home/in the city. For instance, I carry an XD45 loaded with Federal HST +P 230gr. Knowing that my .45 is the only pistol I have right now to cover all situations, do you think that ammo is sufficient for a similar situation against a black bear? Or, given the size and bulk of a bear, would FMJ be better? What about staggering rounds between JHP and FMJ?

Let's hear opinions.

FWIW, we don't have grizzlies in Oregon so a black bear would likely be the largest animal to have to defend against (other than a sasquatch/monkee... but that's a whole 'nother thread).

I would stick with JHP's. I think a .45 would be adequate for almost all Wild Animals short of a Moose, Elk, etc. There was an article in a Glock Magazine I read a few months back where a guy killed a Black Bear that broke into his home with a .40 Glock 22. He emptied almost an entire magazine into the Bear, the article said, but it stopped the Bear cold.

I would not feel undergunned out in the woods with a Springfield XD45 with good JHP ammo and couple of spare Mags. If you can a small carbine in a good rifle caliber would be better though with the pistol as a backup. Something like a Marlin or Winchester lever action in the right caliber would be great for the backwoods if a Rifle is not a problem or too heavy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the good JHP +P and spare mags
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It doesn't matter what you miss with.

With some of these beasts, anything other than a CNS hit = miss.

_MaH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top