Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 2:57:48 PM EDT

www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0605082nicholas1.html

Billionaire Drug Bust

Broadcom's co-founder charged in tawdry narcotics indictment

JUNE 5--A technology billionaire was a drug fiend who trafficked in cocaine, Ecstasy, and methamphetamine, spiked the drinks of business associates and employees, hired prostitutes for himself and others, and maintained several narcotics dens, including one in an underground lair at his Los Angeles mansion, prosecutors charge. In a remarkable federal indictment unsealed today in Los Angeles, Broadcom co-founder Henry T. Nicholas III is portrayed as an out-of-control wild man who scored drug caches for Super Bowl parties and rock festivals and had his dealer invoice him for these illicit purchases. A copy of the felony drug conspiracy indictment against Nicholas, who is reportedly worth about $2 billion, can be found below. The 48-year-old Nicholas, who was charged with securities fraud in a separate U.S. District Court case, allegedly "used threats of physical violence and death and payments of money to attempt to conceal his unlawful conduct," according to the indictment. Prosecutors allege that, in June 2002, Nicholas and Broadcom entered into a $1 million settlement agreement with an employee who was aware of the executive's "unlawful narcotics activity." The hefty payout, which Broadcom covered, contractually prevented the employee from speaking about Nicholas's drug abuse. The billionaire apparently did little to conceal his drug transactions. On one occasion, in the lobby of Broadcom's southern California headquarters, he directed an employee to provide cash to a courier "in exchange for an envelope containing controlled substances," the indictment charges. On a drug-fueled 2001 private plane flight--during which Nicholas allegedly used and distributed narcotics--the pilot was forced to don an oxygen mask due to the "marijuana smoke and fumes." According to a March 2008 Forbes story, Nicholas, with an estimated net worth of $1.8 billion, is ranked 677 on the list of the world's wealthiest individuals. (18 pages)
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, I'd like to have 1.8 billion.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll help him out for $100 million dollars.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
That much money he can buy his way out. Wait & watch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

With that much money I'm surprised the idiot isn't in the Cayman Islands right now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With that much money I'm surprised the idiot isn't in the Cayman Islands right now.

+1

I would be gone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I cannot say I wouldn't be in his shoes if I were a super billionaire. That much money can do things to you. That's alot of hookers and blow. I;d most likely end making a fortress island and collect weird shit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1 slap on the wrist, maybe probation.

some people are better than others.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
So what I'm reading is, successful member of society jailed for a victimless crime?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Dude stiffed contractors building his underground hookers & blow bunker!!!

www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-nicholas18jul18,0,7022711.story?page=1&coll=la-home-center

Dude looks like he has teh aids
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I'm sure he's fucked everything with two legs and four.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Dude stiffed contractors building his underground hookers & blow bunker!!!

www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-nicholas18jul18,0,7022711.story?page=1&coll=la-home-center

I knew that guy sounded/looked familiar! That lair was awesome.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
How come I don't have any billionaire friends who love drugs/hooker parties?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Hookers and blow, which everyone here aspires to have - well, he got 'em, and an underground bunker to boot. He should be our hero
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
If I had anywhere near that kind of money I'd buy Reed Knights firearm collection.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#15]
The .gov doesn't care about a conviction.  This is about asset forfeiture.  He'll walk, but the public servants will all be driving around in his nice cars.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn. That sounded like a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if his legal team will get him a lesser sentence or off the hook?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a fun guy to hang with.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So what I'm reading is, successful member of society jailed for a victimless crime?

+1
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

^ this

america reaps what she sows.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

... allegedly "used threats of physical violence and death ...to attempt to conceal his unlawful conduct,"

Victimless my ass.

Good bust hope he does hard time and brings down a lot of drug dealers and users with him

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#22]
He'll be a lovely wife to some other prisoner since guys like him are in great demand on the inside.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... allegedly "used threats of physical violence and death ...to attempt to conceal his unlawful conduct,"

Victimless my ass.

Good bust hope he does hard time and brings down a lot of drug dealers and users with him

He wouldn't need to conceal his unlawful conduct if said conduct wasn't illegal.

For all I know he could have threatened to kick the ass of someone wishing to blackmail him.  This is a man who legally earned tons of money, ikes to get high and fuck hookers.  He's not terrorizing neighborhoods, selling heroin to pre schoolers, killing old ladies for spare change...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Another drug using underachieever .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top