Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
"Lightning bolt!  Lightning bolt!"

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Gag me with a +5 spoon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll never ever understand those people and games. Ever.
Not that I'm complaining, mind you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Never played, is that what they do?
Just make up a bunch of shit?

Yes and no. The game and most of the story is created, controlled and described by a Dungeon Master. They usually use premade quests of campaigns as a guide for everything. Within that framework everyone has their own characters that can do whatever they want. So yes you make a bunch of shit up, but as it is a board game, you get to fight a bunch of enemies and monsters to gain wealth and power!

I'm fairly new to the game. I've only been playing for about a month and half. The small group of friends that I currently play with have been playing off and on for years. Most of them started in middle school. Some of them had really unhealthy obsessions with the game in HS and practically lived the game 24/7. Its kinda sad, but I understand. Leaving the basement wasn't for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I just found a documentary about the board game. It might help you understand or something.

The Dungeons & Dragons Experience pt1
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#9]
<--- DnD geek, years and years...

Haven't played in like 2 years tho.

- BG
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Find out this weekend!

I've had sex with a woman, does that disqualify me?

I'm not sure, does she live in Canada?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
about as geeky as elite tactical airsoft units with mock funerals
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Find out this weekend!

My friends and I are all going to this place called War Dogs to play the 4th edition the day it comes out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Tried D&D about 25 years ago (freshman in college)........one night was enough for me
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I LOVE D&D .... in videogames. Neverwinter Nights was fun as shit, for example, as were a number of early D&D knockoffs from the mid-90s.

I never, ever got the appeal of tabletop D&D though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I LOVE D&D .... in videogames. Neverwinter Nights was fun as shit, for example, as were a number of early D&D knockoffs from the mid-90s.

It depends on the group and the DM. If you get a real evil DM who consistantly tries to kill everyone it won't be much fun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
LARPing is of the debil

"Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!"

Yeah, uh.

Sterilization ray!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
LARPing is of the debil

LARPing is to RPGs as Airsoft is to ARFCOM GD.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to play D&D when I was younger, and then I played computer versions of those games later in life and still do somewhat to this day.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

When you're with a group of people that has NO qualms admitting that they are all complete and utter losers, you completely disregard the fact that what you are doing is ridiculous.  You just have a good time, and it is good, harmless fun.

I got kicked out of game for being drunk once.  Not the most rowdy crowd.

- BG

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I would like to add that my character is a 6'8" level 4 Paladin Half-Orc with a neon pink anklet from a defeated foe. All the other players say my character is gay because I used a human necklace as an anklet. I just say hes metro.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends on the group and the DM. If you get a real evil DM who consistantly tries to kill everyone it won't be much fun.

Bill Haverchuck: He thinks being the Dungeon Master gives him the license to mess with our heads.
Harris Trinsky: Oh, I'm Sorry. Perhaps I should let you encounter kittens and grandmas so as not to upset you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I would like to add that my character is a 6'8" level 4 Paladin Half-Orc with a neon pink anklet from a defeated foe. All the other players say my character is gay because I used a human necklace as an anklet. I just say hes metro.

I want to play a dwarf named Carlos.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you're with a group of people that has NO qualms admitting that they are all complete and utter losers, you completely disregard the fact that what you are doing is ridiculous.  You just have a good time, and it is good, harmless fun.

But what do you do if you're not a complete and utter loser and aren't very good at pretending to be one?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But what do you do if you're not a complete and utter loser and aren't very good at pretending to be one?

Join the football team.  We'll be gaming while you get laid.

- BG
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to play a dwarf named Carlos.

I forgot to mention that my Paladins name is Master Shake.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#29]
girls wouldn't talk to me so I comforted myself with sleepless nights of D&D
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You're supposed to get drunk and play D&D! It's in the rule book! You have to see everyone cry with drunkenness about how they will never know females! Again, its in the rule book!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#31]
This one guy would say something smart if he wasn't afraid of getting smacked in the grill.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

You can game and get laid. You just have to roll a d20 for initiative.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're supposed to get drunk and play D&D! It's in the rule book! You have to see everyone cry with drunkenness about how they will never know females! Again, its in the rule book!

I was in a very low key crowd.  In high school, I almost stopped a game because I went out for a smoke and they didn't approve.  "Balor, we've discussed this before.  No smoking!"  

In college, alcohol was prohibited from DnD sessions (DM's rules.)

Back with another group back home, they had some Mike's Hard lemonade one night, so I brought beer and rum the next time.  I got shitfaced and booted from the game.  They told me to go watch TV while they continued.  

S'ok, I passed out in their bed.

- BG
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But what do you do if you're not enough of a nerd to get into tabletop D&D but you're not enough of a jock to give a shit about sports but you're not enough of a prep to give a fuck about pocket protectors and impressing girls with speeches about Obama and global warming?

Oh wait, I know this one, I already solved it... you learn to fly.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you put the wrong name on that quote, genius.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I was manager at hobbytown for awhile
gamers are the most vile smelling creatures to walk the face of the earth
seriously we had a regional magic tourney at the mall we were in
700 social misfits place stunk like gamers for at least a week
The warhammer regional was almost as bad but there was only maybe 100 players there but at  the warhammer model tanks and shit  are kinda cool and those guys go to great lengths to paint and customize them
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I was a vendor at gun show for awhile
gun show attendees are the most vile smelling creatures to walk the face of the earth
seriously we had a regional gun show at the fairgrounds we were in
8700 social misfits place stunk like gun show ramboes for at least a week
The gun and knife regional was almost as bad but there was only maybe 1100  attenddees there and the ar15, ak47 and shit  are kinda cool

fixed
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I think you put the wrong name on that quote, genius.

Sorry about that, I deleted most of the replys and it got kinda screwed up. I shall fix it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I was manager at hobbytown for awhile
gamers are the most vile smelling creatures to walk the face of the earth
seriously we had a regional magic tourney at the mall we were in
700 social misfits place stunk like gamers for at least a week
The warhammer regional was almost as bad but there was only maybe 100 players there and the warhammer model tanks and shit  are kinda cool

I feel bad for you. That must have been pure hell...
Warhammer is kinda cool though. My group of friends have been discussing starting a warhammer game night.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
gun show attendees are the most vile smelling creatures to walk the face of the earth
The gun and knife regional was almost as bad but there was only maybe 1100  attenddees there and the ar15, ak47 and shit  are kinda cool

fixed

I can almost not argue with that
there are some pretty nasty fucks at guns shows too the % is just a bit lower
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#41]
S:                                      
I:                                      
W:
D:
C:
Ch:
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

fixed

And a similar number of the ladeez.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

fixed

And a similar number of the ladeez.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#44]
wow... that brings back so many memories.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
S:                                      
I:                                      
W:
D:
C:
Ch:

The fact that I know you started off playing 1st Ed. by the order you list the stats in is very sad. Good thing I have guns to keep me happy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#46]
That video gave me a -13 boner
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Would you rather have them running around in the real world?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you rather have them running around in the real world?

I want to cast magic missile.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
S:                                      
I:                                      
W:
D:
C:
Ch:

The fact that I know you started off playing 1st Ed. by the order you list the stats in is very sad. Good thing I have guns to keep me happy.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. Hell its kind of sad I remembered it. We did used to have some awesome times playing that until we found vagina.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
S:                                      
I:                                      
W:
D:
C:
Ch:

I was wondering if anyone would catch that

Uber geek.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top