Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:28:05 PM EDT
I think the chance of this happening is somewhat plausible, otherwise I wouldn't be putting it out there.  

Say the Heller ruling comes down more or less on the side of an individual rights interpretation of the Second Amendment.  Now say Obama//Hillary wins the election and appoints two new supreme court justices during their term.  Six years down the road another gun case makes it to the supreme court and they reverse Heller and any subsequent pro 2A decisions.  Would people more likely be willing to resist/oppose confiscations or new gun laws in the event of this?  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about willingness to resist, but yes, I can imagine a pro-rights decision being overturned (or neutered) not far in the future.

In the past, the Supreme Court has ruled that "a black man has no rights that a white man is bound to respect," that you can go to jail for calling a police officer a "god-damned racketeer," that you can go to jail for distributing anti-draft leaflets, that segregation is fine so long as it's "separate but equal," and that it's OK to put American citizens in prison camps and confiscate their property if their grandparents were born in a country with which we are at war.  The Supreme Court does not have a good track record as a protector of rights.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't know about willingness to resist, but yes, I can imagine a pro-rights decision being overturned (or neutered) not far in the future.

In the past, the Supreme Court has ruled that "a black man has no rights that a white man is bound to respect," that you can go to jail for calling a police officer a "god-damned racketeer," that you can go to jail for distributing anti-draft leaflets, that segregation is fine so long as it's "separate but equal," and that it's OK to put American citizens in prison camps and confiscate their property if their grandparents were born in a country with which we are at war.  The Supreme Court does not have a good track record as a protector of rights.

That inspires a lot of confidence, now that we are basically looking to them as our last hope for gun rights.  

BUMP!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top