Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 2:33:19 PM EDT
Do I have to put thermal compound on the processor?  It doesn't mention it in the install instructions, but I figure I better be safe and ask.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want the CPU to last more than a few seconds or perform to where it was made to, put the goop on.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done it on two systems I built.  Never had any problems.  I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use it unless it has a thermal pad attached to the back of the processor.

make sure you don't put too much on the processor.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you using the default intel heatsink or an aftermarket one ?

If its the default heatsink no. It has a thermal pad on it which makes the grease pointless. If its a aftermarket one without a thermalpad then yes.

Tinkering with computers and piracy since 2006

ETA: You now must post pics once you finish the build
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you using the stock Intel heatsink?  If so it should have thermal compound pre-applied to it.  If you see three gray stripes on the bottom of the heatsink that is the compound and it is gtg.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep I'm using the stock one, and I see the 3 gray stripes of paste now.

Thanks for the responses guys.  Off to finish this bugger after I finish my beer
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
yes, use silver5
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
goto the tech forum.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
even on the retail box ones i scrape that crappy pad off and use arctic silver stuff.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ETA: You now must post pics once you finish the build

Ha, this is nothing fancy... it's going to be using onboard video for chrissake

I'm just being a good son and building one for my mother.  (upgrading from an old p4, this is going to blow her old one away)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
we all demand pics of the finished product
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are not overclocking then the stock heatsink and thermal pad are fine. Install as per instructions.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thanks for the responses guys.  Off to finish this bugger after I finish my beer

I hope you spread that around.  I'm picturing 3 thin lines.  You want complete coverage.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
even on the retail box ones i scrape that crappy pad off and use arctic silver stuff.

And +1 on Merrell's post - If you're not overclocking, don't bother.

I've overclocked CPUs for years, the few degrees difference the artic silver will keep the CPU won't mean diddly of you are not overclocking.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you spread that around.  I'm picturing 3 thin lines.  You want complete coverage.

They are not thin lines, and it will spread once clamped down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top