BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 10:22:57 AM EDT
Why or why now....poll coming

HH
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  Two dogs who will raise a hell of a racket.

2.  My friends Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.

3. 12ga.

4.  FAL
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Because it makes the boss feel like she is more secure.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had one in the past.  They are great and worth it so long as you get a reliable system not prone to false alarms.  Mainly useful for when you are gone on vacation or at your "predictible" daily job when criminals are likely to break in.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You, too, eh?

Backed up with some artillery, of course, even in this God-forsaken state.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have had one in the past.  They are great and worth it so long as you get a reliable system not prone to false alarms.  Mainly useful for when you are gone on vacation or at your "predictible" daily job when criminals are likely to break in.

I can see it being useful if you're a heavy sleeper and have no dogs.  90+ decibels will sure wake you up quickly.

HH
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Need an option for "will be getting one shortly"
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Dogs CAN be good, but they can't calll anyone for you, and if your dog is inside and you arenot home when a fire breaks out, a monitored system could save him/her.

As a cop I also made lots of burglary reports where the dog was in the house and the owners couldn't believe the dog didn't eat the burglar.  

I mostly have the system so when we are home, I will know before a criminal makes entry; allowing me to actually have a chance to access my firearms.  The secondary reason is that its comforting to know when we pull up to the house that it has not been hit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Need an option for "will be getting one shortly"

We're building right now and it'll be ready by mid-Sept.  We're going to have one installed, primarily for the loud alarm.  We'll have doors and windows hooked up.  Having guns/ammo and the will is not a problem.  Our main concern is that we're separated from our daughter in the new place and need to have her window hooked up, too.

I sleep heavy....I won't mind an incredibly loud alarm to wake me up...or my wife.  Dogs were out of the question because we already have 3 cats.

HH
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
It's hard to beat the bang per back of having signs that say you do.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#11]
We have one.

I travel alot and it makes the wife safer.

We do believe in a layered approach to our security.

Perimeter alarm is the first defense, then its the Mossy, AR, Glock, S&W, H&K....

Not necessarily in that order.

EDIT: It also gave us a break on our home insurance so it basically pays for itself.  The install was 60 bucks I believe.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
My security system is a dog and a gun
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Hubby works primarily in fire safety, but is also licensed in security. Everything's alarmed. House, shed, hell....even my bra has a freaken keypad on it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hubby works primarily in fire safety, but is also licensed in security. Everything's alarmed. House, shed, hell....even my bra has a freaken keypad on it.

....and I assume you provided him the security code?!?!?

HH
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

....and I assume you provided him the security code?!?!?

HH

HE installed it.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I do.  Too much stuff I value in there to not have a security system.  It's worth it for my peace of mind.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Got it. love it...

When i am at work it keeps the casual crack head away..

If they decide to test the alarm i have two dogs.. I usualy dont arm it when i am home, my xd 45ACP has me covered.

The alarm has easily paid for it self. I have the nicest shit on my block and all my neighbors who dont have one have been broken into mid day while at work.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, but I don't count on it to keep us safe.  In fact, I don't turn it on at night because you can't hear anything when it goes off.  Forget being able to locate the sound of glass breaking or someone walking.  Instead, we use the alarm primarily for three things:

1.  There's a perimeter chime that sounds whenever a door or window is opened.  That makes me sure that nobody can sneak in without us knowing while we're there.  No kids sneaking out, either.

2.  The smoke and fire alarms are integrated into the system, and the monitoring company will call the fire department for us if we're out.  A few minutes might make a big difference with a fire.

3.  When you come home and disarm the system, it will tell you if there have been any problems or if the perimeter has been breached.  That way I know there's nobody waiting in the hall closet to smack me with a sock full of pennies.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got it. love it...

When i am at work it keeps the casual crack head away..

If they decide to test the alarm i have two dogs.. I usualy dont arm it when i am home, my xd 45ACP has me covered.

The alarm has easily paid for it self. I have the nicest shit on my block and all my neighbors who dont have one have been broken into mid day while at work.[/quote]

Wow...I wonder if they lost more by NOT having one....

HH
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got one.

serves a number of functions.  someone will call me if my house is entered without me there, it alerts neighbors that something might not be as it should, and the keypad has lights that show what sensor/door is the one causing the alarm.

knowing where to look and what path the threat is on give me a nice leg-up

edit: i don't kid myself about it calling in the cavalry for backup- sherrif response in my area is 20 mins at the bare minimum.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one and enjoy it for the kids during the day when I'm not home. It also saves enough on my home owners insurance to basically pay for itself!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine is monitored with guaranteed armed response.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I do primarily because:

When I moved in it was there already.

When I moved in I had recently lost both of my dogs.

I also like the fact that it has smoke alarms that are monitored also.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You, too, eh?

Backed up with some artillery.

Ditto
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I got a call from one of these security places.

I told her I was happy with my current system and wasn't interested in theirs.

She asked me what company I was using...

When I responded "Three Rottweilers and a large amount of semiautomatic firearms", she was silent for a few moments then said "OH..." and hung up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

She asked my what company I was using...

When I responded "Three Rottweilers and a large amount of semiautomatic firearms", she was silent for a few moments then said "OH..." and hung up.

That's a good one!

HH
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Voted no but will soon... with cameras.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one.  My dogs are smaller and wouldn't do much of anything, plus I don't let them run around the house while nobody's home anyway.  Since my wife and I are gone all day I like having it monitored.  Plus at night it has the advantage of giving you advance notice of a break-in before the perps make it to your bedroom door.

It does lower homeowner's insurance but I'm not sure how much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

She asked me what company I was using...

Ever seen what happens to those mean Rotties when they get their faces frozen with a CO2 fire extinguisher? They are not so mean after. This happened to some junk yard dogs just before the robbers cleaned out the place.

I have a full system with backup radio, because I get piece of mind knowing that I'll know if someone makes entry. When I'm gone they will hopefully answer to the police, when I'm there they will answer to Mr Remington 12 ga!

I also get mine free as I am part owner in an alarm company.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yes, but I don't count on it to keep us safe.  In fact, I don't turn it on at night because you can't hear anything when it goes off.
Consider a keypad or keychain remote for the bedroom.

I really like the fact that if someone breaks or even lifts a window, or even pushes too hard on a door the alarm will sound.  When it does, I know his feet are on the outside of the house.  I quickly disarm the system and the keypad tells me exactly where the intrusion attempt was.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, his name is Dodger
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]
yup

monitored fire and smoke too
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I have one.  Felt like a chump writing that check to Brinks every month until some kids tried to break in the house.  Cops on scene in about 5 minutes.  Alarm scared the kids away.  Don't have a problem writing that check any more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top