Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2008 6:51:08 PM EDT
One of our cats has a cancer in his stomach. The Vet said he has about 5 to 10 months

We are giving him Medicine.

When I am looking at his eyes and he looks at me, I swear the look in his eyes is different, like he knows he is not right inside.

Two of our other male cats have been more aggressive toward him.

Do you think he and they sense something wrong inside him?

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

They can sense other things too, like impending earthquakes and space alien invasions.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
He knows you are thinking about putting him to sleep.....
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

BTW: be careful, He might attack you while you sleep or aren't paying attention.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

BTW: be careful, He might attack you while you sleep or aren't paying attention.

Now I haven't told him that yet.              
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Yes, atthis point it is safe to assume it is you vs the cat... I mean, he knows he has nothing left to loose. Sleep with the door shut, they lack opposing thumbs. Stay frosty.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If he's got stomach cancer, it's entirely possible he does know something's not right. Like how you can feel it as you start to get an attack of gas, or start coming down with a flu, or something.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
It may smell different to the other cats. There have been some claims that animals can detect cancer through smell, dogs IIRC. But cats have uber-smell powers, too, so that may have something to do with it.

Sorry about your cat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It may smell different to the other cats. There have been some claims that animals can detect cancer through smell, dogs IIRC. But cats have uber-smell powers, too, so that may have something to do with it.

Sorry about your cat.

Thanks, life has it ups and downs. He will join the collection of our other animals that have been cremated, including our GSD.  

Not sure who to will then to when my Wife and I die.                                    
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Make his remaining time here as pleasureable as possible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

He will get a lot of love.          
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I once had a an old dog who got along with the other dogs for years.  As he got close to the end the other dogs got aggressive towards him.  Personally, I think they can smell death coming and don't like it.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

True.

Animals in general, will pick their place to die... he knows, just bear (bare?) with him as long as your pocketbook can handle it....
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True.

Animals in general, will pick their place to die... he knows, just bear (bare?) with him as long as your pocketbook can handle it....

Pocketbook has never been a problem with our pets.                    
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Kill the cat and tie flies with his pelt.  Than eat the fish you catch with the flies and pray to the cat and God for thanks.  Use his carcass to catch coyotes and other fur.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Kill the cat and tie flies with his pelt.  Than eat the fish you catch with the flies and pray to the cat and God for thanks.  Use his carcass to catch coyotes and other fur.

I will think about it , but it will not happen.              
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Pacs, you're a good person to look after and care for your cat. Let's hope your administrations provide him a good quality of life for a long time to come.

I'll say a prayer for you both.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#17]
You are a good man Pacs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Pacs, you're a good person to look after and care for your cat. Let's hope your administrations provide him a good quality of life for a long time to come.

Thanks man.
Never fear he will be well cared for, if possible I will be holding him when he goes if at the vet. We loved all of then that have left. They were all given a good life. I remember every one of them in my mind, and always will.              

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man.
Never fear he will be well cared for, if possible I will be holding him when he goes if at the vet. We loved all of then that have left. They were all given a good life. I remember every one of them in my mind, and always will.              

I understand completely: they will always be loved and cherished in our memories.

My cats have always been considered "family" - and cared for as such. Sounds like your's are too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man.

I understand completely: they will always be loved and cherished in our memories.

My cats have always been considered "family" - and cared for as such. Sounds like your's are too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I mean, is the cat suffering at all?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
On a serious note, yes, he knows.

To be fair to the cat, put him down now while he has some resemblance of quality of life.

I've watched a cat suffer at the end of its life because we were reluctant to put her down. Wish we had acted sooner.

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#23]
That ^^^ is what I was getting at, in a roundabout kind of way. If the poor guy is going to suffer his last few months...
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I agree.  Remember him as a healthy vibrant pet.   My prayers are with him.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That ^^^ is what I was getting at, in a roundabout kind of way. If the poor guy is going to suffer his last few months...

Without trying to ruffle too many feathers, I think humans are pretty damn arrogant about determining when life has reached it's end.

kayamana singled your post out for no other reason than it was close to the point I wanted to make, without tagging the rest of the above
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#26]
i hope neither you or the cat are made to suffer through this very long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top