Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2008 12:36:31 PM EDT
If so, do you know how you caught it?

Would you continue being near somebody who gave you scabies?  Even if you both got cured?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Need backstory.

Get a scrub brush, hot water and some soap.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Only on my dick.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quit getting homeless bag lady pie and you won't have this problem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It happened to a friend of mine.  

I don't think you have to be in contact with homeless to get it.  I think you can get it from shaking hands with an infected person if one of the mites happen to transfer.

But most commonly from close skin-to skin contact (e.g. sex) or living on same bed sheets, furniture, using same towels, etc. with somebody infected.

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I was exposed to it while transporting a PT who failed to disclose that she was infected.  My partner & I got the medicated wash from the ER docs, and the hot soapy shower with scrub brush back at the firehouse.  Then our uniforms got trashed.  We didn't get scabies, but IMO it's a matter of personal hygiene - or a serious lack thereof, and I would seriously reconsider trying to have a relationship with someone who contracted it outside of a significant job related exposure.  To clarify, if the person was a dirtbag, not someone in the medical or volunteer field who was otherwise hygenic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
happens alot on patrol. One guy gets it from dirtbag then shares his car with his shift partner then it spreads from there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Had it one summer as a kid when I was working in my Dad's Garden everyday....had to walk around with this cream on my hands...got out of doing dishes for a couple of weeks
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother got shingles once (he was like 12 - wierd...).

Is that close enough?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Do not google images of scabies.......................................  I did
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked it up in school with a bunch of other kids.  It apparently came from science lab somehow.  My folks weren't happy having to use the same medicated soap.  I had little blister looking things on my hands that itched like hell, but that was it.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the more tame pictures from google.

God help you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I got them when I was in 2nd grade...  From the dirty kids, thats what I was told..  lol  Medicated soap and bleach all the bedding in the house(sheets, blankets, ect...)
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I got them a couple of years ago.  It was miserable.  I thought my kids had brought them home from school.  I checked them. Nothing.

I did not have a girlfriend at the time and hadn't been with any woman. The only physical contact I had with anybody was shaking one person's hand in the prior week.  It had to be that guy.  They first appeared on my hands and wrists.

I immediately went to the doctor and he gave me some type of topical lotion.  This shit was like candy for them.  They soon spread to my legs.  Hot showers were miserable.  I used all the topical lotion.  No effect.  

I called the doctor pissed and said his stuff wasn't working.  He called in a prescription for another clear liquid that got rid of them overnight.

Luckily they didn't spread to my kids.  I avoided physical contact, washed the sheets daily and threw my clothes straight into the washer.

If you ever think you have it.  Get to the doc right then.  Make sure he gives you the strong stuff.

If the cause wasn't shaking that guys hand, I have no idea where I could have picked them up.  Only other time I physically touched anybody was my kids.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Are these also known as chigger bites?

Cause I get those about every time I go out barefoot on a lawn.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:48:23 AM EDT
[#15]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies
Scabies is caused by the mite Sarcoptes scabiei, variety hominis, as shown by the Italian biologist Diacinto Cestoni in the 18th century. It produces intense, itchy skin rashes when the impregnated female tunnels into the stratum corneum of the skin and deposits eggs in the burrow. The larvae, which hatch in 3-10 days, move about on the skin, molt into a "nymphal" stage, and then mature into adult mites. The adult mites live 3-4 weeks in the host's skin.

The action of the mites moving within the skin and on the skin itself produces an intense itch which may resemble an allergic reaction in appearance. The presence of the eggs produces a massive allergic response which, in turn, produces more itching.

Scabies is transmitted readily, often throughout an entire household, by skin-to-skin contact with an infected person (e.g. bed partners, schoolmates, daycare), and thus is sometimes classed as a sexually transmitted disease. Spread by clothing, bedding, or towels is a less significant risk, though possible.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:49:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Are these also known as chigger bites?

Cause I get those about every time I go out barefoot on a lawn.

IIRC..Scabies get under your skin and move around
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#17]
THere are two types.
One is the canine type and doesnt reproduce under your skin. Benadryl and maybe medicine helps, take lots of baths.
The other is human type and is bad news.

Working with animals you get the canine type.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had to deal with it twice....Not on me, fortunately.

Once a resident (at Cook with me) had a patient so we had to use Permethrin cream as a precaution (none of us got it).

Again recently at a local nursing home, there were a couple of cases....Lockdown everything, wear gowns/gloves that you changed out with each wing, all personnel had to use the Permethrin cream again (again, didn't catch it).

However, you wonder with EVERY little itch if you got them....

Mites burrowing under your skin....Fun
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Had them in the Army.  Seems they lived in the ground there at Ft Campbell, and when you dug a fighting position you had a chance of getting them.

They gave me the permithrin cream and that got rid of them immeadiately.

I thought it was a poison oak/ivy reaction at first, because it looked like that early on, but once you see the little bastards leaving a trail under your skin you knew what it was.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Got them in college.  The doctor told me I should inform the person I slept with to get them.

Alas, I got them from borrowing a sleeping bag from a pal while he was out of town.  He shows up and sees me sleeping in it and tells me right out bad idea and he had scabies.  I didn't even get PIE  

Cure was a hot bath followed by a lotion (Qwell (sp)) spread all over the body.  THEN wash all your clothes and bedding at one time while wearing the qwell.

YOu don't have to be a dirtbag to get them.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:45:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Got a letter home from my child's school one day saying another child in the school had been diagnosed with scabies and to please keep a look out for it on your child.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I caught them once in the Navy.  I was the only farm boy at our shore command.   The mowers broke so I volunteered to repair them.  I scratched my arms up while changing the blades.  The next day I had a massive scabies infection where the skin was irritated.   Luckily I worked at the hospital.  I went to the ER to find some topical stuff for it and the doctor on duty saw me.   He immediately wrote out a script for Eurax.  2-3 days and everything was cleared up.

It turns out that the grass was infested with them.   The mowers were carriers for the dang things. From then on when I worked on the mowers I changed into full coveralls with long sleeves.  Luckily that extra job only lasted a single summer.  We moved to the new hospital and the base mowing contract took over.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, mattress at Naval Training Center in San Diego a long time ago.

Had to put some lotion on the bites called Qwell or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I got it when I was about 15. I got it out hiking, but it did not look even nearly as bad as the above pic. I had little red trails cruising up my legs. Got some cream and they were gone in a day or two.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd rather have that than pinworm.  It's rough seeing a little kid dragging their butt on the carpet like a dog crying...

Reproduction:

After mating, the male dies. The female migrates to the anus and emerges, usually during the night, to deposit about 10,000 to 20,000 eggs in the perianal area (around the anus). She then secretes a substance which causes a very strong itching sensation, inciting the host to scratch the area and thus transfer some of the eggs to the fingers. Eggs can also be transferred to cloth, toys, and the bathtub. Once ingested orally, the larvae hatch and migrate back to the intestine, growing to maturity in 30-45 days. The eggs can survive for 2 to 3 weeks on their own outside of the human body. In some cases, the larvae will hatch in the peri-anal area and travel back inside the anus, up the rectum, and back into the intestines where they mature.[1]

Or Loa loa filariasis, the parasite crawls through the surface of your eye, ewwwww....

If you are squeamish, never take a clinical microbiology course...
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#26]
For some reason I'm itchy now...
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yes, mattress at Naval Training Center in San Diego a long time ago.

Had to put some lotion on the bites called Qwell or something like that.

I was there in 85 - we had a guy show up with crabs.  Next thing you know we're all standing there with our boxers around our ankles with some smokin' hot nurses from Balboa who came to check on us (which was pretty much the highlight of our whole boot camp).  Anyway, turns out no one else had crabs, but every time you had the slightest urge to itch you were convinced you were just crawling with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top