Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2001 8:27:06 AM EDT
And how does it affect your shooting, equipment, and do you think guns are ergonomic enough for you?
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a lefthanded shooter. It has never hindered my shooting except for bolt actions. I have shot M16A1s, SAWS, and M60s in the military and it did not bother me too much. Every once and a while I would get a spent casing down my back, down a sleeve, and it would burn a little. I always considered that a pleasure pain thing.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a lefty and agree that a right handed bolt action is sort of a pain, but pistols are usually not too bad.  I love the 1911 and Beretta.....but don't care for the Sigs (its slide release and decocker are too far back for me to operate affectively).
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I am left handed. Diito the only thing that really sucks is a bolt action.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am left handed. Diito the only thing that really sucks is a bolt action.
View Quote

Ditto ditto.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
i shoot pistols, my shotguns, and my AR-15, with my right hand. I shoot rifles (.308) with my left hand. wierd eh?
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The only self loading hand gun that caters to leftys is the H&K USP which is why they got my business (H&K's rock!). As far as other self loading pistols you just learn to deal with it. I shoot rifle right handed so no problem there.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Being a lefty only affects me if I want to get a .300 Winchester Short Magnum bolt gun. Which I do badly!! Damn them for now even thinking they will make a lefty bolt gun until 2003 at the earliest!!! Surely to god only right handed people are the ones making these descisions, it is a conspiracy!!!

[beer]

Rant off
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Bolts are the only problem. And anymore you can get most of what you want. What most shooters don't realize is that lots of hand guns are easier for lefties to manipulate. I currently have 4 left handed bolt guns. 2 Rugers, 1 Winchester, and 1 Remington. The only type I want but can't find is a .260 Remington, preferably a Remington 7. Even the custom shop said no.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Pistols, no problem.  Even some bolt guns are no major problem unless I try to do more than a few shots offhand.  

I like shooting semi-autos lefty because I can see the chamber with my right eye.  Easy to see if the bolt is open, jam etc.  

I've ordered a lefty AR50 and can't wait until that comes in.  I'll probably get a lefty Ferrett too.

Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only self loading hand gun that caters to leftys is the H&K USP which is why they got my business (H&K's rock!). As far as other self loading pistols you just learn to deal with it. I shoot rifle right handed so no problem there.
View Quote

Ditto that.  Don't forget the P7, the best lefty gun in the world...

1911s aren't bad with an ambi safety.

Bad: Glocks
Worst: Sigs
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Being a lefty and owning 4 Glocks nver had a problem with any of them. Now Berettas suck severely for a lefty.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, watch who you're calling weird there Dui_Hunter!  I'm the same way, rifles and pens left, pistols, scissors and softball right.

I haven't had a problem with right handed bolt guns,  I work the bolt w/ my right hand and hold the gun by the pistol grip with the left.  I have a couple of lefty bolt actions and they are fine too.  I learned on right handed bolts so they seem fine to me.  If you can't stand the bolt on the right, get a BAR.  

crashburnrepeat

Quoted:
i shoot pistols, my shotguns, and my AR-15, with my right hand. I shoot rifles (.308) with my left hand. wierd eh?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Right hand for pistols, left for rifles, due to me being blind in the right eye.

Same here!  I'm not blind, but "Momma" wasn't going to have her son grow up a lefty!  She made me do everything with my right hand (even though I was left handed and left eye dominant) except shoot.  My father taught me that, and good old dad is a lefty![:D]

Edited to answer the friggin question:
I find that right handed bolt actions are easier to use working the bolt with my right hand(off the bench this is VERY fast; I never lose my target).  Transition from carbine to pistol is also much easier, and I can maintain cover with the rifle while bringing pistol into battery.  All in all I don't consider it much of a handicap, except that it makes fundamentals when shooting a pistol very important.(new isosceles only, weaver/modified weaver are not compatible under stressed fire)
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#16]
 Right handed
 Left eyed

I buy left handed bolt guns, and if they don't make em in the caliber that I want, well then I send it to someone who will make it the caliber that I want.
 The only real disadvantage is trying to find left handed rifle stocks for bolt guns.GRRRRRR

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
As a lefty I agree with most of what was said but am surprised that nobody has mentioned single action revolvers. While holding the gun with your left hand the left thumb can easily open the gate.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm left nutted, does that count?[:D]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm left nutted, does that count?[:D]
View Quote

Only during Yom Kippur, or the third thursday of the month immediately preceeding the Groundhogs shadow sighting if he does not see his shadow.

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Left handed for sure! Can't hit a damn thing right handed. But that may have something to do with why they call me Jackpot the one armed bandit....
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Im a southpaw too.

Chose the HK USP as my pistol because all operating controls are just perfect, no need to customize them.

Have had no trouble in firing semi or select fire weapons. I drop my AR mag with my support hand, press the bolt release with my trigger finger or hand.

I agree that with right hand bolt actions it is a bit tricky.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Left handed,left eye dominant.I believe the 1911 works better for a lefty than a right hander.Most of my bolt guns are left handed.I have no problem with straight bolt military rifles like the M44 or Enfield.I can run them better than most righties.With a scout scope or iron sights,a regular scope buggers things up a little.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Yea Iam a lefty , really went out of my mind when Winchester started making the Model 70 in left hand actions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top