Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2001 6:37:30 AM EDT
I'm doing a lot of research for a law school paper.  Initially, I was going to research the effects of anti-terrorism laws on civil liberties.  But as I got into the research I started finding a lot of facinating info. about executive emergency powers and how not only have we been living under a declared state of emergency since 1933, but under this state of emergency, the president can suspend the Constitution.  Basically, the only thing keeping us from dictatorship, seems to be the good character of our presidents(well most of them anyways).  Not only could congress not do anything for six months if the President suspended constitutional rights, but in the past few decades, congress has even sanctioned and helped increase the executive emergency powers.
I've also found a lot of info. on the unconstitutional nature of the executive orders... these seem to be in violation of Art.I sec.9 of the Constitution.  Many of the executive orders out there today give the president unprecedented power to control the media, natural resources, transportation, private property, etc, etc...

I knew about much of this before I began my research, but I didn't know how serious it all was.  If anybody has any source suggestions to further my research, please let me know... thanks...  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The 'executive order" thing has been bothering me for a while.

Mid-Clinton administration, when it seemed like Clinton was sending EO's down, one EVERY day, I did a little research.

Two things emerged -

1. They DEFINITELY have become more vogue in the last 50 years or so.

2. The # 1 issuer of EO's to that point?  Ron Reagan.

Of course, Clinton probably caught up to him since.

Sounds like an EXCELLENT research topic, Scipio. Carry on.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top