Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2008 6:39:10 PM EDT
"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -Samuel Adams

If men, through fear, fraud, or mistake, should in terms renounce or give up any natural right, the eternal law of reason and the grand end of society would absolutely vacate such renunciation. The right to freedom being the gift of Almighty God, it is not in the power of man to alienate this gift and voluntarily become a slave. -Samuel Adams

If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves. Winston Churchill

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

-Patrick Henry, March 23 1775 speech before the Virginia House of Burgesses

Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.  
-Thomas Jefferson
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
"Hookers and Blow"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"Hookers and Blow"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Pmc

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
actually:

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

All by Thomas Jefferson
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
"Fuck the Police and a 502"----Easy E
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Waiting for 308Doc to come and post some obscure bull-shit quote about the FF being dipshits I mean deists and insulting the Bible
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Waiting for 308Doc to come and post some obscure bull-shit quote about the FF being dipshits I mean deists and insulting the Bible

If you deem the philosophy many Founders followed to be "bull-shit", that is purely a reflection on you.
The Founders were educated, intelligent, innovative men who believed in liberty and tolerance.
If you find yourself in disagreement with them, perhaps you should re-evaluate the merits of your position.

A few of my favorite Paine quotes

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it."

"The abilities of man must fall short on one side or the other, like too scanty a blanket when you are abed. If you pull it upon your shoulders, your feet are left bare; if you thrust it down to your feet, your shoulders are uncovered."

"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man."

“But there is another and greater distinction for which no truly natural or religious reason can be assigned, and that is the distinction of men into KINGS and SUBJECTS.”

“I am thus far a Quaker, that I would gladly agree with all the world to lay aside the use of arms, and settle matters by negotiation; but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my musket and thank heaven He has put it in my power.”

"For though the flame of liberty may sometimes cease to shine, the embers can never expire."

"These are the times that try men's souls.  The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.  Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.  What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
"There is no limit to the amount of good a person can do, if they don't care who gets the credit"

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things.
The decayed and degraded state of moral and
patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is
much worse.  The person who has nothing for which he is
willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his
own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has
no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better men than himself.
— John Stuart Mill
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you deem the philosophy many Founders followed to be "bull-shit", that is purely a reflection on you.

Dr308 - I'm not being sarcastic with this reply - I really mean it - two things I respect about you 1) you are consistent in your belief & 2) you are a team member and not some freeloading cubicle commando

With that said I still think you are wrong, but if you where in Texas - I'd buy you a beer
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dr308 - I'm not being sarcastic with this reply - I really mean it - two things I respect about you 1) you are consistent in your belief & 2) you are a team member and not some freeloading cubicle commando

With that said I still think you are wrong, but if you where in Texas - I'd buy you a beer

You buy the beer and I'll buy the whisky.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hate to hijack but is there that much contempt for non team members? i almost stuck a check in the mail one day but honestly, i have $2 to my name (college student)
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The year is 1907, one hundred years ago......

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

" In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is  an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no d ivided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one f lag, t he American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and  t hat is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

AB
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Give me liberty or give me death.  The one U.S motto that really matters to history.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't tread on me.  A motto that should be U.S instead of Kennedy MASS.  

Don't tread on me should be in the nations anthem.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My favorite. A man who gives up a little freedom for more security deserves neither and will lose both.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Founders were educated, intelligent, innovative men who believed in liberty and tolerance.
If you find yourself in disagreement with them, perhaps you should re-evaluate the merits of your position.

A few of my favorite Paine quotes

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it."

"The abilities of man must fall short on one side or the other, like too scanty a blanket when you are abed. If you pull it upon your shoulders, your feet are left bare; if you thrust it down to your feet, your shoulders are uncovered."

"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man."

“But there is another and greater distinction for which no truly natural or religious reason can be assigned, and that is the distinction of men into KINGS and SUBJECTS.”

“I am thus far a Quaker, that I would gladly agree with all the world to lay aside the use of arms, and settle matters by negotiation; but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my musket and thank heaven He has put it in my power.”

"For though the flame of liberty may sometimes cease to shine, the embers can never expire."

"These are the times that try men's souls.  The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.  Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.  What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."

My personal favorite is from Common Sense, of England constantly giving us an ass for a lion!
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

-George Washington
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us
in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down
and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon
you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen
-Sam Adams
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#21]
"But, if the laws are to be trampled upon with impunity, and a minority is to dictate to the majority, there is an end put, at one stroke, to republican government; and nothing but anarchy and confusion is to be expected hereafter."

-George Washington, attempting to justify his use of 12,950 armed soldiers against US citizens to enforce tax laws.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#22]
A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad.
Theodore Roosevelt

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
Theodore Roosevelt

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt

Appraisals are where you get together with your team leader and agree what an outstanding member of the team you are, how much your contribution has been valued, what massive potential you have and, in recognition of all this, would you mind having your salary halved.
Theodore Roosevelt

Believe you can and you're halfway there.
Theodore Roosevelt

Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.
Theodore Roosevelt

Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike.
Theodore Roosevelt

Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.
Theodore Roosevelt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Theodore Roosevelt

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly.
Theodore Roosevelt

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.
Theodore Roosevelt

Every reform movement has a lunatic fringe.
Theodore Roosevelt

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#23]
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it."
Abraham Lincoln, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1861
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
“Religious matters are to be separated from the jurisdiction of the state not because they are beneath the interests of the state, but, quite to the contrary, because they are too high and holy and thus are beyond the competence of the state”

Isaac Backus

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#25]
sig \/
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#26]

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race” - Calvin Coolidge
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Metus improbos compescit, non clementia.

PVBLILIVS SYRVS

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#29]
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.

“Can it be supposed that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, the most important of the code, will respect the less important and arbitrary ones, which can be violated with ease and impunity, and which, if strictly obeyed, would put an end to personal liberty... and subject innocent persons to all the vexations that the guilty alone ought to suffer?

“Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. They ought to be designated as laws not preventive but fearful of crimes, produced by the tumultuous impression of a few isolated facts, and not by thoughtful consideration of the inconveniences and advantages of a universal decree."

~ Cesare Beccaria, On Crimes and Punishments, 1764, ch.38. quoted by Thomas Jefferson in his “Commonplace Book.”
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top