Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2008 1:25:41 PM EDT

I have a set of your average everyday Lloyd's BBQ Babyback Ribs here, got it from the local supermarket..

I'm looking at the cooking directions; 375 for 45-50 minutes...

Wouldn't lower (and slower) serve me better here, given the large amount of connective tissue?

Wouldn't say 250-275 at say 70 minutes...might that not work out better?

Yeah, long time to cook ribs, but...with sauce and all in there, I would imagine the longer cook time at a lower temp, would to better at rendering out the collegen and all that?

Or are the standard directions of 375/50 minutes a better way to go?

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Aren't the Lloyd's already par-cooked?  If so, this would account for the short cook time/high temp.

Yep, just Googled it, and they *are* already slow cooked, you are merely bringing your ribs to temp, not "cooking" them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Aren't the Lloyd's already par-cooked?  If so, this would account for the short cook time/high temp.

Probably...yeah, looking at the ingredients - "Cooked pork loinback ribs"...

Well, what they consider cooked, anyway...crap, wish I had seen that beforehand. Ah well. Question still stands

ETA Ahh...ok..so I'm just heating them up. Well...crap.

Last time I made some of these, it was like eating a dog treat with bbq sauce. I was hoping lower and slower would improve things...but, if they've already cooked it..
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]
A couple of hours at 225 with indirect heat from pecan or hickory coals should do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
wrap them in foil and put them in the microwave

cook on high until the lightning stops

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah, they're already cooked

But I'm sure the Lloyds folks did 'em low and slow
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wrap them in foil and put them in the microwave

cook on high until the lightning stops

Damn,the secret is out now!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Next time don't waste the money on nasty ribs and buy some to cook yourself.  Its easy to do and tastes way better!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yep, just Googled it, and they *are* already slow cooked, you are merely bringing your ribs to temp, not "cooking" them.

Why don't you give him the recipe for your "sauce"? I made your "sauce". What is it supposed to be used for?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you give him the recipe for your "sauce"? I made your "sauce". What is it supposed to be used for?

Marinade, baste, topping, anything at all.

Original Thread...
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
We buy ribs from Sam's club.  Cut the long racks into half.  Lay foil on a cookie sheet, lay ribs on cookie sheet, apply rub.  Cover with foil and close edges.  250 for 4 hours.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Im a yankee and even I know you dont put sauce on ribs.  You rub them.  Smoke them for half a day and serve sauce on the side for the wierdos.  I have tried loyds ribs though and they werent bad for a quick fix.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Im a yankee and even I know you dont put sauce on ribs.  You rub them.  Smoke them for half a day and serve sauce on the side for the wierdos.  I have tried loyds ribs though and they werent bad for a quick fix.

Thus the basis of their appeal

Things worked out well, just wish I coulda cooked 'em longer, gotten more of the fat and such to run. It would have been a far better dish that way.

Next time I get around to it...yeah, uncooked, with a good rub, and then go from there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top