Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2001 10:28:16 PM EDT
I have a good friend that is considering selling a very nice hr Garand, what is a good price? It is all orig with very good wood. He is thinking about $650 is this to much? Or not enough.
Personally I dont fit the garand and cant shoot it well so i am not interested...pat
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Pat:

IMHO, the H&R is one of the more desireable manufacturers behind International Harvester and at least equal to Winchester.  The ones I have seen and shot were far more accurate than the typical Springfield model.  Most CMP Springfields that are resold bring $700 locally.  The H&R is worth every penny of that.  You might want to ask this question on Jousters site, lots of Garand collectors over there.

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:37:39 AM EDT
[#2]
$650 for all original?  Jump on that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
$650 for all original?  Jump on that.
View Quote

I paid an H&R (All original...) in Italy about 420 USD... is able your friend to make a litle discount?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#5]
H&R is a finer example of the M1 Garand. I would choose one of these over any other make.

Despite the "Winchester" name, they produced some mediocre M1's (not all, some). They had a host of tooling and reject problems in the M1 program but people still by into the name.

Springfield produced the bulk of the M1's and produced a fine rifle for the mass, and I mean mass quanity they produced. International Harvester built smaller batches of rifles and had a so-so history in the quality department.

It's not a great price but it's about what they go for on th ecommon market. The advantage is it's a complete H&R. If you try the CMP purchase and ask for an H&R, there's a good chance that you may just get it. Despite what they CMP says about no selection, I've found these folks will still make a effort to get you the name you asked for. There's no promise, but I've found them very nice and fun to deal with. Maybe it was just me, since I'm such a swell guy. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
$ 650 is a very good deal for an all original H&R in VG condition, Shoot it would be a good price for one that isn't % 100 H&R. Winchesters cost so much because there " WINCHESTER'S " Remember, Winchester was not building them for free. Any corner they could cut in production meant more money in the bank for WRA. For quality M1's I would rate them...
# 1  HRA
# 2  Post War Springfields
# 3  WW2 SA's
# 4  IHC
# 5  WRA
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all very much for the input i will pass it to my friend and will post it fs here if i can talk him into it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
. For quality M1's I would rate them...
# 1  HRA
# 2  Post War Springfields
# 3  WW2 SA's
# 4  IHC
# 5  WRA
View Quote

Please explain the reasoning behind your rating.

Thank you

OSA
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
In Houston, an all original H&R Garand will command a price of $800-$950.  If it is original with no importer marks $650 is a good price.  There are several H&R variations, i.e., stock configurations, size of cartouche, etc.

Scott Duff has good information available in his book, Post WWII Garands.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a minty CMP H&R Garand off a fellow on subguns for $520 delivered.  Deals are out there, you just have to be patient...
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top