Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2008 5:09:33 PM EDT
Anybody know the background of this Company? They seem to be buying a lot of Companies DPMS,Bushmaster,Remington etc...
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Chinese communist front.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
They are a large US owned private equity firm. They own a good chunk of Chrysler, GMAC, some department stores and lots of other things.

I think they are trying to position themselves for .gov contracts.

ETA: They buy companies on the cheap and grow them to make money. They aren't doing some crazy political move to close gun companies.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Chinese communist front.

Umm the main guy behind it is a gun owning American....

It's a Private Equity shop. They do what all PE shops do. They buy companies with debt, and either make it into a better, more efficient company or cut it to pieces and sell it off piece meal to make a profit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, have you been living in a shoebox?  Cerberus has been all over the news the last 2 years, although I will admit they can be a bit press-shy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dude, have you been living in a shoebox?  Cerberus has been all over the news the last 2 years, although I will admit they can be a bit press-shy.

I guess I am
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Here you go, for the search engine impaired

wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus_Capital_Management
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chinese communist front.

It's a Private Equity shop. They do what all PE shops do. They buy companies with debt, and either make it into a better, more efficient company or cut it to pieces and sell it off piece meal to make a profit.

if you don't understand it, it MUST be the communists!

Private Equity firms are not regulated, and are very secretive.  They self report, and so even if you have a millionaire buddy that satisfies SEC rule 184 concerning private investment (1 mil in assets or above, or 200K annual income for the past X years) there is really no way you can find out what's really going on at Cerebus
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For the board code impaired.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the board code impaired.

Fixed it a minute before you, thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Private Equity firms  .... self report .... no way you can find out what's really going on at Cerebus

that is the beauty of it .... decisions and methods are done efficiently and effectively with almost no outside influence save for a few individuals ...

:}

Link Posted: 1/8/2008 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Private Equity firms  .... self report .... no way you can find out what's really going on at Cerebus

that is the beauty of it .... decisions and methods are done efficiently and effectively with almost no outside influence save for a few individuals ...

Let me guess, you went from internet startup to private equity, but still post in GD here

If you did, more power to you, but you came off as a prick in the thread you posted a brokerage statement in.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
The head of it is a gun nut into blood sports.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

you went from

prick

I never said it .... private equity means that private .... I don't know what you said.

I have a measly 2k posts with respect to my '02 join date, 98% of my posts are good thoughts on fellow members. You can search on it.

The one thread in which I inquired about investments, etc, it was trolled, I'll simply take the high road.

Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That don't sound good
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you went from

prick

I never said it .... private equity means that private .... I don't know what you said.

I have a measly 2k posts with respect to my '02 join date, 98% of my posts are good thoughts on fellow members. You can search on it.

The one thread in which I inquired about investments, etc, it was trolled, I'll simply take the high road.

That was not a thread about investments, it was a 'look at how much I have' thread.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've heard he likes the ultimate prey:

human

Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Press shy is an understatement, the chairman (who hates the press) was recently quoted in the Automotive news as saying if any of his employees were ever to be interviewed, he would not only fire them, but have them killed!!

Seriously..

J
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

'look at how much I have' thread

We have a different perspective on things but let's look at it from your point of view.

Let's say, I posted a meager 2 figure "investment", for the purposes of this discussion, we'll use 10 bucks because that is how much I had in '93.

If I posted a $10 "investment", do you think the trolls would come out of the woodwork? or are we going to have posters that will actually contribute to the subject matter at hand. (rhetorical question).

Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'look at how much I have' thread

We have a different perspective on things but let's look at it from your point of view.

Let's say, I posted a meager 2 figure "investment", for the purposes of this discussion, we'll use 10 bucks because that is how much I had in '93.

If I posted a $10 "investment", do you think the trolls would come out of the woodwork? or are we going to have posters that will actually contribute to the subject matter at hand. (rhetorical question).

I have a 'sizeable' net worth, (smaller than yours), don't feel the need to post statements to prove it.

If you get a woodie bragging, more power to you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#21]
They are, or will be, doing a strip and flip of Chrysler. Jeep will be on it's way to it's 8th (I think that is the number) owner.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

don't feel the need to post statements

Good for you man.

I posted it b/c my previous reply to another member on a different thread was trolled regarding it.

So, instead of posting a text figure and be trolled again, I posted the lowest number I have but of course, that was trolled too, it's alright, I had fun replying to the trolls.

Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't feel the need to post statements

Good for you man.

I posted it b/c my previous reply to another member on a different thread was trolled regarding it.

So, instead of posting a text figure and be trolled again, I posted the lowest number I have but of course, that was trolled too, it's alright, I had fun replying to the trolls.

Still bragging.

If Bill Gates or Warren Buffet posts here, that is news, you are, well, not.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Bill Gates or Warren Buffet

Good for them ...  always looking forward to it from their perspective.

Link Posted: 1/12/2008 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#25]
bump
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#26]

The weapons manufacturing business has always been fragmented in the US.  What';s underway now is industry consolidation with Cerberus leading the way.

Expect more consolidation and not all will be by Cerberus.

5sub
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

They are a large US owned private equity firm.

I believe Cerberus began as a vulture fund and has now moved to a hedge fund.

5sub
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are a large US owned private equity firm.

I believe Cerberus began as a vulture fund and has now moved to a hedge fund.

5sub

They are now burdened with Chrysler right?
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder if this consolidation will lead toa monopoly.
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chinese communist front.

if you don't understand it, it MUST be the communists!

Private Equity firms are not regulated, and are very secretive.  They self report, and so even if you have a millionaire buddy that satisfies SEC rule 184 concerning private investment (1 mil in assets or above, or 200K annual income for the past X years) there is really no way you can find out what's really going on at Cerebus

This is false.  They are required by law to furnish their investors with results.  These are often leaked.  Also, you've blown the "QP" and "Accredited Investor" regs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Your worry is unfounded.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your worry is unfounded.

I hope your right
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Chinese communist front.

I don't think so
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top