Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2001 10:45:33 AM EDT
I have a cat that won't stop peeing on my carpet.  I never see her doing it, but see the stains so I know she hasn't stopped.  I've tried everything I can think of to make her stop like getting a LitterMaid so the box is always clean, etc but it hasn't worked.

Any ideas on how to make her stop?  Are there any products that can be sprayed on carpet that make the cat want to stay away?  Any ideas would be great.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
GET RID OF THE CAT.

CATS SUCK
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer a coal scoop, but vigorous application of most any shovel will solve the problem.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
could be several reasons for this behaviour.  

Any other pets in the house? The cat could be jealous.

Have you been ignoring the cat?

Is it a male cat?  If so he may have a blockage in his urinary tract.  If so, he takes a leak whenever and wherever he can.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]
In lieu of getting rid of the cat, the best thing to do is the following:

Get a chage that is large enough for the cat to sleep, have its food dish, and its litter box.  Place cat in the cage.

Cats rather dislike having to sleep in their own waste product, and are rather clean animals by nature.  By placing the animal in this cage, the cat will relearn to use its litter box rather than your carpet.  Be prepared for the cat to be in the cage for quite a while (when I had to do this, the animal was there for 3 months).  You are able to take the animal out every once and a while, but if you are not paying attention to it, back in the cage it goes.

Take the time when the cat is in the cage to have either your carpeting replaced, or have it at least professionally cleaned by a cleaner that understands what should be done to remove the smell of urine.  Without doing that, the odds are that the cat will continue to relieve itself whenever and wherever.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try spraying some "Bitter Apple" in the area.
View Quote

Bitter Apple...why not try LEAD..hehehe..just kidding.

The cat could have like someone mentioned above..an infection.  My X had a cat who did this and it turned out to be an infection.  This is how some cats tell you (owner) that they are not "okay"

medcop
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]
the only reason my cats ever peed on anything is because they were mad at me for something.

without knowing: cat's age, previous ownership (if any), health/shots or temperment...
try:
clean litter
fresh water, not just enough, but fresh
some extra dry food between feedings helps
buy her some toys
some catnip

i'd say if these things don't work (over a few days or a week of trying), she may even have a  medical problem, perhaps something slight and overlooked, like a splinter or something.

good luck!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to any big pet store and explain your problem.  There are some products out there that use enzymes to not only kill the stink, but keep the cat away too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#9]
assuming you arent in the city,do what i did.  build a cat house and kick its ass outside.  evntually, the cat will get over being inside and will probably thank you in the long run
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Take the cat to the vet, a urinary infection for a cat is a pretty serious condition.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmm, a bag and a rock could alleviate any problems!

I don't recall the exact details, but following the above "facetious" suggestion could get you in big trouble here in NY. A guy was observed tossing a bag into a local river, and then tossing rocks at it when it wouldn't sink. Turns out the bag was loaded with kitties. Rock-tosser ended up in big trouble/fines with animal cruelty charges.

As a BIG aside, my brother has a German Wirehair Pointer female (Polly) that is the full sister to my dog (Kelli). Turns out that Polly has a rather unique method of dispatching the resident farm cats. She will actually carry them to our creek near the barn and drown them. No shit. Guess Polly really doesn't like cats much, either.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Never had the problem of the cat taking a leak on the carpet, but I had one who just loved to jump up on the countertops, and this worked extremely well for me.  Try getting a squirt-gun or a spray bottle filled with water.  When you see the cat on the carpet, ready to take a leak, or in the process, squirt him with the water.  A few times and he should get the message.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#13]
22LR enough said    [):)]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#14]
One word....Prestone.....[dracula]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
the only reason my cats ever peed on anything is because they were mad at me for something.

without knowing: cat's age, previous ownership (if any), health/shots or temperment...
try:
clean litter
fresh water, not just enough, but fresh
some extra dry food between feedings helps
View Quote
HKer,
Try these suggestions, but don't wait too long.
If the situation DOES NOT improve in 2 days, wait no longer because as Shazbat said:
Take the cat to the vet, a urinary infection for a cat is a pretty serious condition.
View Quote

Personally, when my cat urinated ouside her pan, I took her to the vet [b]THAT NITE[/b]
Guess what? It was a medical condition.

HKer, These little friends of ours have no way to communicate their discomfort. She's relying on you Bud!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Chimborazos suggestion is a good one. A confined area with food, water, sand box, and room to lay down. Have your cat checked out by a vet before you go to this step.  Could be a urinary infection.  Other factors could be a new rival cat or other pet.

The enzyme cleaners like "Natures Miracle" work pretty good at removing the smell, but they will not keep the cat from returning and marking the spot again.  Even professional cleaning will not keep them from marking again.

Confinement and re-training is the most effective cure.  

DaMan  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Benjamin0001, turn off your CAPS LOCK key and shut the hell up, moron.  You too, LAcop.

If this is NEW behavior in a cat that hasn't done it previously, it could be a sign that the cat has some kind of medical problem like an infection of a kidney or the urinary tract.  It can be very serious.  I'd definitely take the cat to a vet if none of the other serious advice here clicks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Benjamin0001, turn off your CAPS LOCK key and shut the hell up, moron.  You too, LAcop.
View Quote

Yeah guys, ease up.

Everybody knows the best way to rid yourself of a cat is with a .22LR to the skull - easy, effective, cost efficient, and quiet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#19]
HKer...

From a fellow HKer: I assume your cat was fixed? Fixing reduces this behavior in both males & females, though males are the one w/the most marking behavior.

Is she an indoor/outdoor cat? Cats that go outdoors in random spots may see this as just another spot, and come back to it since it's already marked as 'hers'. [Accidentally spill some Hoppe's #9 there?]

Use enzymatic cleaner, available at pet shops. It'll break down proteins that mark it as 'hers'. If area's repeatedly soaked it may take time, esp if soaked into carpet pad/ floorboards - may need multiple treatments over time. Bitter Apple (from pet shops) and dilute tabasco sauce can 'deny' this area to her.
[Sprayed leather Barcalounger w/very dilute Tabasco sauce, dried it off later. Cat stays away.]

If she's an indoor cat who normally uses a litter box, your cat may have some problems (stone, deposits in urethra, etc.) Get her to a vet *soon*.

Perhaps you aren't be cleaning her litter box enough! She may feel her box is just 'not right'. Did you change brands of litter, and there's some new scent she doesn't like??

I (& my cat) prefer "scooping" or "clumping" litter to regular pebble litter. Costs a tad more but worth it. [Buy in bulk from Petco, etc. - not from gro$ery store.] Scoop my cat's box once every day, removing not only clumps but quite a bit of the litter, then top off w/ new fresh litter. Every 5 days or so I dump the whole box, wash it with Clorox and refill completely w/fresh litter.

Try to keep your cat indoors if it's not really a fully outdoor cat. Indoor cats live much much longer (12 yrs vs 4 yrs): no fights, car accidents, infections (kitty Aids, kitty leukemia), etc. Just ensure she has a couple of scratching posts and gets attention sometime every day.

Bladder/urinary tract problems may be related to reduced fresh water intake. Ensure she has always has clean fresh water:I wash/refill my cat's bowl before work, when I get home, often even before I go to bed.  

Diet + excessive weight play a part too. Cats  always eating 'wet food' seem to suffer more problems: it's akin to us eating prime rib every meal every day! Good low-magnesium dry kibble food helps prevent this: constnat adequate supply of fresh dry food will allow the cat to have confidence of its continued presence and it won't overeat (unless that bad habit has set in already). They *always* prefer wet food though and their begging behavior will really tug at your heart: I only give my cat wet food 2-3 times a week, 1 heaping tblspoonful at a time - no matter how much meowing & baleful looks I get. Find my cat drinks more water when only dry food is fed. Rotate dry food brand or mix a couple of brands together, so she won't get fixated on a particular brand and refuse to eat others (this can be a problem as cats age and flavor/odor sensitivity is reduced).

Vets think dental health plays a large part here too. Cats that have their teeth cleaned every 2 yrs or so and don't have gum infections or tooth problems seem to have far fewer urinary tract problems. This concept seems to express itself in humans too: those of us in primo dental health seem to have lower incidences of athlerosclerosis & heart valve problems than those w/a bad dental history, gum disease, etc. [So *floss*, dammit!]

Good luck to you & your cat. Keep this thread going, let us know how it goes...

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I prefer a coal scoop, but vigorous application of most any shovel will solve the problem.
View Quote

LMAO!!

Fred
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Crystals are most likely the culprit.  Don't wait on this...it is painful for the cat, and more of your stuff will get peed on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#22]
We'll GET YOU, Jewbroni!

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1626477&a=12428937&p=50554463&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

And your LITTLE DOG too!

But seriously...

The big guy on the left, Unit 3, had a problem with peeing in inappropriate places when he was very young.  I had him tested twice but there was no infection.  He was just being immature, and did grow out of it.  Cats and dogs can be a lot like children.  Some kids wet their beds until they are 6 or 7 years old, but most get over it.

When Unit 3 was about 2 years old he suddenly started peeing in my dirty laundry.  That time it WAS a urinary tract infection.  They're usually easy to cure, but you do need to take a cat to the vet if it is peeing around.  Same goes for dogs, pigs, etc.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]
We have (had) 5 indoor felines.  One had this problem (and others) for the better part of 9 months.  He now resides on top of the curio cabinet in a nice cedar box with an engraved nameplate.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily a cat person, however, this was my favorite.  Wifey gave him to me more than 10 years ago.  Diabetes and >$900 in Vet bills was not his undoing.  It was the combination of "peeing on the floor" and the Vet telling us the insulin wasn't working anymore.  I miss him.
[>(]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#25]
My first response would be to load that cat into the nearest clay bird thrower and PULL!

barring that I'd get her checked for bladder infection.  My moms ^@#%@#$ cat had a bladder infection when I was  a kid and that %@#$#@# cat pissed everywhere.  After she got the @$#%@#$ cat cured it quit doing that.

Of course it might have been the liberal application of my dads foot to the cats ass too but I don't think so.

PULL!!!!!

crash.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Teach the godamn thing what the fear of god is!
Rub its nose in it till its got something to think about  then repeat as needed. I usually figure theyve got the picture when they start blowing bubbles.

Funny why my wife didn't let me get involved with the potty training of our daughter.

Electrified training carpets.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Here kitty kitty [SNIPER]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#28]
If the goddamn thing is in heat it can be spayed to stop the problem. Otherwise, look to the upper left-hand corner of your screen! Give it a running start for good moving target practice![uzi]
Sorry, I did steal that one!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Stick its nose in it, so he/she can smell it, yell NO and give it a good open handed wack on its head.  Do this several times.
That way the cat associated the smell of pee on carpet with Pain!!

Not only will it stop the cat from peeing on the carpet, it will also learn the word NO, which can be used anytime you want the cat to stop doing small things.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Put the cat in one of those safe HavAHart traps.
Put the trap under two feet of water.
Remove and dry in 15 minutes.
Cat will not piss on carpet again.
That will be $87 for this consult.
"Thank you for allowing me to participate in the care of this very interesting patient!"
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Stick its nose in it, so he/she can smell it, yell NO and give it a good open handed wack on its head.  Do this several times.
That way the cat associated the smell of pee on carpet with Pain!!

Not only will it stop the cat from peeing on the carpet, it will also learn the word NO, which can be used anytime you want the cat to stop doing small things.

BISHOP
View Quote

except that you have to catch the cat in the act and administer "justice" within seconds or the cat hasn't the foggiest clue why he's rubbing her nose in her new litter box location.  and since he's said that he never catches cat in the act, that won't work.  and you can't teach a cat the word 'no'.  they just decide on a case by case basis whether they want to obey or not.  [:D]

matt had a cat that did this incessantly...until she was spayed.  hasn't peed on the floor since her mommy parts were removed.

the confined space will hardly work too because most cats prefer the same place for the litter box and will use the actually litter box unless something is wrong.  more often than not it's a medical condition.  or behavioral.

i've also worked at a vet so i've seen cats lay in their litter box in the kennel cages.  hardly what you'd expect but they did it anyway.

bottom line:  get him/her to the vet.  don't be a tightwad and wait until the carpet is almost ruined before you rule out this most-likely reason.

edited to add that i wasn't calling you a tightwad.  was referring to matt's reason for waiting 6 months to fix the problem.  [:)]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Just wondering why it is when Mcuzi says something about killing police he is banned  and there are tons of posts about how bad he is...
but these jackasses are free to spew their hate speech about murdering cats for fun.
I ask that the board standards be applied equally.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#34]
One is a feeder for the other.
We (America) ban pot because it feeds straight to coke and crank. We punish pot dealers in the same way as the coke dealer, with slightly less time.
Killing pets like cats leads to murdering humans in the same way.
The hate crime of calling for cats deaths may be "less" (if we are going to give a value to uncalled for killings), but the posts calling for torture make them close to, if not totally, the same offense level.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a pretty annoying problem with some neighbor's cats digging holes in my lawn to take a crap all over the place, plus there was the constant spraying on everything I left outside and my lawn furniture that turned into a scratching post.  It really pissed me off (sorry [:)] }, and the cat's owners had no intention of controlling their animals, so it was up to me to take care of the problem.

Unfortunately I live in the suburbs, so I really can't start blazing away in my back yard with the next house only 20' away.  Besides, they might look over the fence to see what all the noise is and find me bustin' a cap in their cat's ass!!

So I got a Hav-A-Hart trap up at the local pet store.  Basically it's a large wire cage with a spring-loaded door and a little trip lever.  I started by leaving bowls of Meow Mix in my back yard right next to the trap so they'd get used to it.  A few days later I started moving the bowl inside the trap.  After a week or so, I set the trap with the bowl inside and waited.  Snap!! Meow!!  Meow!!

With Tabby safe and unhurt inside the little cage, I'd carry it into my garage, shut the door, and pop the kitty in the head with a .25 ACP.

If you want to give this a try, here's a tip -

Use a drop cloth.  The first one I popped bled all over the place and it was a pain to clean up.  What I ended up doing was place the trap sort of in a trash bag to catch all the blood.  Even with an up close head shot the cat will thrash around in the cage for a few minutes, spurting more blood than you ever thought a cat could hold.  Just let it sit in the bag until it finally croaks, then open the trap and let the carcass fall into the bag.  Then toss the bag into your trash can for pick up.

This method worked great for me - I rid my yard of several troublesome animals, and the owners never were the wiser.  They just thought Tabby had run away.  In fact, I was aproached by one of them handing out computer-printed flyers complete with cute pictures while I was wheeling my trash cans to the curb one evening.  After he left I lifted the lid, tossed in the flyer, and said "here, this is for you."  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Pee on the cat.

Paul
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Cats are WIERD...They just run like hell to nowhere,like they had a dr.s appointment in the other room then sit down an just look around.I wonder if they are doing SHTF drills?....I had one that got into the steroids and animal testosterone....[b]dogs were ascared![/b][whacko]As for the peeing problem just hold yours,when the cat pees on the carpet,you pee on him,he'll get the message!.....OKOKOK...i did'nt read all the posts so a 2nd for peeee on the cat!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#39]
try spraying some .223 frangible around the area of the cat, should work ok for you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Take the cat to a vet!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Cats usually pee in the same spot since the spot smells from the last time right?

Get a lamp cord. Strip the ends. Tuck the bare leads under the target zone.  Plug it in.  Watch the fun.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacataion comes to mind.   Meeeooow, ZAP!
-------------------------
Anybody miss the 101 uses for a dead cat calendars as much as I do?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey guys
I am not anti cat.
I feed and worm 6-15 all year long.
They are great for the horse and haybarns.
But a cat that costs more energy than it is worth is a "gone" cat.
22 or drowning?I don't care.
Can you tell I don't live in the city or burbs?
You probably just ate my last cow that wasn't paying her way.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#43]
My grandfather spent a lifetime controlling cat population on a farm in North Dakota, and near the end of his life he invented the cheapest and easiest way to kill a cat. He was too old to take them down to the pond at 88. A .22 was really effective, although it upset Grandma. We used the cat-a-pult to get ready for duck season.Too loud.A broomstick was really effective, but you had to get out of the way because the cat with a broken neck can climb walls.That required a limber swing and evasive action. No Grandpa dicovered if you put the cat in a five gallon bucket and put the lid on and then put the garden hose in the bucket it was virtually silent, and the cat didn't leak at all. That makes clean up easier!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Leave it in a 5 gallon bucket, with some water, and food. put the lid on it, but poke some "air holes".

Leave it their for a few days, and let it rot in it's own piss.

Maybe it'll get the idea.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#45]
ARlady, you CAN teach a cat the word NO.
Mine knows 13 or more words:
NO, Get(as in to get away, but I just say get) HEY(to get his attention), His name, night night, Cookie, Eat, Outside, Inside, Good kitty, Bad/bad kitty, OK(as in "its ok" or "you're ok") and What is this(usually used after seeing something Bad he did.

Cans DO remember things.  That is why you have to stick his/her nose in it and let them smell everything FIRST, then you associate the pain aspect with the new/wrong combination of smells.

My cat still does bad things, he's a cat thats what they do.  But if I find something like a Q-tip pulled out from the garbage can that he did hours earlier, all I have to do is pick it up and show it to him and ask him "what's this?" he remembers VERY quickly and runs away...  I don't have to punish him on those types of things anymore, he stops for months before he does it again..

BISHOP
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I suspected that when I saw the thread there would be several "knock'em in the head" posts. I was glad to see many more correct ones dealing with taking the cat to a veterinarian (since I am one I can spell the word). Most likely there may be a low-grade cystitis that is causing the problem. Antibiotics are usually given to eliminate am infection and a low ash/magnesium diet is recommended.
Science Diet makes a great diet and so does Purina for urinary tract infections (UTI). The problem with UTIs is that you can usually resolve the issue but without proper diet the problem will recur.
Before beating the cat senseless please get it checked, urinanalysis and such. Then try the special diet. Other non-violent items would be to limit the cats available room to 1-2 rooms rather than the whole house.
Lastly, I have seen huge guys with major testosterone levels with many great rifles and pistols cry like a baby when their cat or dog got sick and/or died. Pets love unconditionally and even the toughest asshole is usually a pushover for their furry friend.
Mark Riehl DVM
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I believe it is a known fact that cat haters have very small penises or are hermaphrodites.  Was in a well known medical journal recently.  Sorry to hear about your problem boys....  A doctor may be able to fix your condition.  Or you could just walk in fromt of a bus or something....
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Easy make a grid of steel stips separated by insulating rubber etc.  Then connect alternate strips to a car battery.  Place the assembly in the area where the cats lets loose.....

Stand back and get ready for a laugh!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Paul,
"Killing a person and a cat are equal sins in your eyes?"

It's about the same to my cats. and they say
F.U. too!
No offense.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Are you guys with the "funny" comments really that nasty to cats/animals?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top