Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2001 6:45:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#1]
that really sucks. too bad some type of filter mask couldn't have been given to every one, but obviously there wasn't time for stuff like that.
ground zero was putting out clouds of smoke or dust for days, that stuff had to have been bad for lungs
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I woke up last night at 0300, and thought something in my house was burning.
I lay in bed for a few minutes, and then realized it was just the trade center.
Went back to sleep.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The concrete dust alone is harmfull to a person's lungs. How many FF/PD and EMS did one see at ground zero with airway and breathing protection...a few.

You dont think about that...you just go in, even on a smaller scale I have been in disaster situations which I knew were potentially harmfull. Drove patrols trough the remains of a town hit by the explosion of a fireworks factory. I have been misdirected straight into an ammonia cloud. Was 5th ambulance at clubfire which left 11 dead and 300+ severely burned.

Can't look at the faces of my brothers at ground zero and not cry...

I am glad they get the recognition they deserve. Both public and by healthcare and someday mentally.

I have said it before and will said it again, if you know one of them talk to them. If they dont want to talk listen...if there isn't any conversation just sit there and support them. Now and in the years to come.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
This is really freakin sad. [:(]
It is new news to me though. Thanks for the links, GB.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]
TRUE Hereos! Amen GB!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty concerned about my health when it comes to the WTC "detail".  I know I spent ALOT of hours there without a respirator on. Even when I go into NYC tonight I'll still smell the rubble burning in the air.  I'm sure I'll be OK but.........

Take Care Everyone,
       Ray
[usa]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't get it....

the nearly 11,000 firefighters who responded to
the attack will undergo screening.

The health surveillance screening program will target 150 to 170 firefighters a day for the next two months.

Assuming they mean 5 days in a week....

150 firefighters * 5 days per week * 8 weeks (two months) = 6000 Tested

170 * 5 * 8 = 6800 Tested

7 days per week means only a slight increase in number tested...  8400,9520 respectively.

Why don't these numbers add up to 11,000?

The math means only about half would be tested, why? (6000 is little over half of 11,000)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top