Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2001 9:11:19 PM EDT
... from Penn. plane crash on 9/11/01?
The one where passengers fought with hijackers. Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
you will never hear the recorder.  FAA regulations prohibit release of the audio from the black (bright orange) boxes. You may see some transcripts and I thought I'd seen some quotes from cockpit recordings from that flight in the past but it could have been from one of the other flights.

crash
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
i've heard a bunch of the content from voice recorders on tv (mostly shows on TLC talking about air travel, plane crashes, survivor shows, etc)

maybe there is a statute or limitations type thing on it....can be released after a certain period of time?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
In cases of hi-jackings, I believe that the FAA doesn't allow the CVR/FDR tapes to be released in case they need to be used as evidence in legal cases somewhere down the road.
Greg
(edited because as came out as "ass")
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top