Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2007 6:33:08 PM EDT
Something is not working with the edit function so here we go again.

Is this acceptable assembly quality for Hornady TAP 200gr +P?

I decided to pull it apart to check for the tar mentioned by warlord

I have kids with friends and have a hidden drawer for my CCW but still keep it unloaded as an additional safety measure when at home and not on me.

Notice the one in the middle thats a bit taller? That's the one I chamber every morning. Must have done it a hundred+ times. I find it quicker to load than to
get it out of a safe so for now this is my process. I have been watching for setback but always had it primer down and never noticed the difference.
The idea came to me this morning to check this way and noticed this.

What gives?

Our cat loves guns and just found out she likes ammo too!!!

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
This is why God invented micrometer (and the idea of rotating rounds, and quick release gun boxes, and... )

Anyway, I can't explain why it appears longer, but it does not seem to be a significant amount.  My $0.02.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you chamber the round by feeding from the magazine?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is why God invented micrometer (and the idea of rotating rounds, and quick release gun boxes, and... )

Anyway, I can't explain why it appears longer, but it does not seem to be a significant amount.  My $0.02.

Yes, that was covered...something wrong with the update of earlier posts so had to start over. I will be picking up one of the small hand activated safes but..... is Hornady overated with the TAP round? warlord mentions tar to be used and is the lack of any cannulure a bad sign?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you chamber the round by feeding from the magazine?

Yes. I learned (from here) to load from the mag.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If you look at the bullet on the long round, it looks like it was hitting the rifling or a tight chamber enough to grip the bullet.  There is a shiny ring that suggests an interference fit.  Pulling the loaded round out of the chamber, when the bullet was gripped by the barrel, would tend to pull the bullet.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#6]
My guess would be more of a kinetic bullet puller effect.  As the round chambers and comes to a sudden stop, the bullet "wants" to keep going forward, over time the cartridge lengthens.  I truly doubt it is engaging the rifling, but a quick chamber check should tell you that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My guess would be more of a kinetic bullet puller effect.  As the round chambers and comes to a sudden stop, the bullet "wants" to keep going forward, over time the cartridge lengthens.  I truly doubt it is engaging the rifling, but a quick chamber check should tell you that.

Thats my guess. I could actually push it back down to where it should go by pressing down on it. The "ring" appears to me to be copper that was unexposed to the air until recently. Any ways my guess is a cannulure is a good thing on a round and this one is going in the trash.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, kinetic bullet puller.  A cannelure is not a good thing on any round that headspaces off the mouth like .45 ACP, .40 S&W and 9mm.  Why?  Taper crimp will make the mouth much smaller, possibly causing pressure problems if the round jams forward in the throat.

Setback is prevented with a slight taper crimp which forces the sharp shoulder into the bullet, making a tiny ridge.  This is why inside deburring should be minimal in these calibers and also why lead bullets are 0.001" larger than jacketed.  And with proper belling, the bullets start easily with no shaving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top