Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2007 7:29:40 PM EDT
I'm wondering what the military does with all the brass after shooting at the range. Do they just leave it there? Collect it for a check to see if they used it all or something similar? Just wondering because my dad is in the Army (E8) and might be able to get me some brass for the futre . But if they are not allowed to do that then I won't have him do it of course.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It is collected and sold as scrap.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Policing up your brass is a time-honored military tradition.  I always thought they reloaded it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It is collected and sold as scrap.

+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Army turns it in somewhere. My ANG unit doesn't turn it in, they just leave it policed up at the range in the brass can. Now I am not saying that it doesn't leave the range, just that the unit doesn't take it with them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
it ends up on govliquidaton.com

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1475771&convertTo=USD

If I had that much brass I would pave my driveway with it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
They feed it to soldiers in an EOD related MOS.  It goes straight to their ballz.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
So is there some way around the sell as scrap bit? Could he possibly say oh I want the brass to reload or something like that? His (our) last name holds a little bit more power than others I suppose you can say in some cases. I called him a few minutes ago, but had to leave a message. So I'll hear from him when he calls back. Hopefully we can work something out . But where would I put it all . I don't even load yet or even have a gun in any of the calibers we'd find there  .
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So is there some way around the sell as scrap bit? Could he possibly say oh I want the brass to reload or something like that? His (our) last name holds a little bit more power than others I suppose you can say in some cases. I called him a few minutes ago, but had to leave a message. So I'll hear from him when he calls back. Hopefully we can work something out . But where would I put it all . I don't even load yet or even have a gun in any of the calibers we'd find there  .

Oh it can happen. Not that I know anything directly about it though I work in the combat arms training section but since it isn't counted, as much could "walk" off the range and nobody really would know.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Im sitting on a shload of M14 and M16 brass from several ships qualification days. Yummy!
I had more M60 and 240 and links than I knew what to do with. That all got rebelted and given out to the neighborhood kids for playing war. Most times they just throw it in the barrel and somebody comes and recycles it. I happened to ask the right guy at the right time, and the barrel didn't get its share for awhile.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh it can happen. Not that I know anything directly about it though I work in the combat arms training section but since it isn't counted, as much could "walk" off the range and nobody really would know.

Gotcha . My dad does do the training and what not when his unit does weapons fam. In March or so they are doing it, and he got an MI unit a bunch of 40mm to play with . Pretty much every caliber is covered. He offered me a chance to play solider along with everyone so I could go shooting, but I would be in uniform and in the bunks and formation and all of that. Everyone would know who I was and wouldn't do anything to me, but still ha. Though I have a med condition that doesn't agree with that... but my dad doesn't think there is anything wrong with me (oi). So no solider play for me hah.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#13]
A lot of CG units (if they have thier own range) collect it, and then sell it as scrap.  then the proceeds get put into the morale fund.  We get some kickass Christmas parties, wetting-downs, and morale days

Needs paperwork though.

For the most part, we don;t have our own ranges, so it gets policed and dumped in whatever manner the range we use chooses.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#14]
When we did opfor with the guard they were super anal about collecting every piece of brass, if you have ever done that in a mout site it totally blows.....
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
When we did opfor with the guard they were super anal about collecting every piece of brass, if you have ever done that in a mout site it totally blows.....

Looks like in a MOUT site you could just sweep them up, like at the gun range, since its indoors, unless you have to look behind furniture, etc.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#16]
The Australian Army considers it a serious arse-kicking offence to remove any "produce" from the range, even inadvertently.. You're given every opportunity to hand it in, and if you're caught with any brass after that, then "words" are had. They actually redesigned the tread patterns on the issue boots because the grooves were the perfect size to trap spent brass.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like in a MOUT site you could just sweep them up, like at the gun range, since its indoors, unless you have to look behind furniture, etc.

This particular one is gravel except for the inside of buildings, its relatively small....
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This particular one is gravel except for the inside of buildings, its relatively small....

I can see how gravel would make it a PITA to find/pick up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top