Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2007 9:05:44 AM EDT
OK, my new rifle has been done for about a month now, and I have not broken it in yet. The instructions that I received from Stag said that I should fire about 300 rounds down the barrel without cleaning, and that is all I need to do.

The big question that needs answering is what type of ammo should I use? I am not going to try and sight in at this point, I will just flinging lead downrange. I know there are strong feelings both ways for Wolf. Economically, Wolf ammo makes the most sense for dumping rounds downrange. But, am I opening myself up for other issues related to the "dirtiness" of Wolf ammo? What do you guys do?

Mike F
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OK, my new rifle has been done for about a month now, and I have not broken it in yet. The instructions that I received from Stag said that I should fire about 300 rounds down the barrel without cleaning, and that is all I need to do.

*I* wouldn't break in one of my barrels that way. Call me old, stupid, whatever, *I* use the old fire one shot/clean, fire one shot/clean, etc. for at least 10-15 rds.

But, if you're hellbent on doing it the other way, just use good old ball FMJ.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I would avoid the Bi-metal Wolf. The copper jacketed should be fine. I would clean the barrel first to get out any manufacturing goo and grime. I do this by shooting some Brake Kleen down it and running quite few patches through. I don't know how scientific it is but it has become some sort of a ritchual for me when I take a new rifle out for the first time. I would run a boresnake with a little solvent on it after every mag for the first 100 rounds. You can tell Bi-metal Wolf from copper jacketed with a magnet test, if it sticks its Bi-metal, also if the ammo box doesn't have "Copper Jacketed" printed on it somewhere its Bi-metal. If some one here has more knowledge about the difference between Bi-metal and Copper jackets I would love to know if I'm on the right track or being too picky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top