Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 7:27:22 AM EDT
I have a Boss CE-5 Chours Ensemble, & one of the outputs doesn't work. Does anybody repair or know of anybody who repais these things. Or would I be better of just buying a new one. I don't want to pay out the nose just for a little bit of solder & a new jack either.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It most likely is a broken solder joint, rather than a failed component.   I'd pop it open and take a look.    A cheap Radioshack Soldering gun and solder should run you under $20.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It's best to learn how to repair your own musical equipment. It's not hard and it'll save you tons o money in the long run. As was already said, it's probably a bad solder. Get a gun and some solder and get to melting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
You've tried different cables right?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I just looked inside & found no broken solder joints. And last time I tried to solder, I fried all 4 pots in my Les Paul, so I'm a little reluctant to try it myself.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's best to learn how to repair your own musical equipment. It's not hard and it'll save you tons o money in the long run. As was already said, it's probably a bad solder. Get a gun and some solder and get to melting.

Ding ding ding.....this is sound advice.
Become your own tech and only good can come from it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You've tried different cables right?

Yes, I even changed the amps around.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Try a known good cable and change them around. Obviously, a $2000 amp or $300 effects pedal will fail before a $5.00 cable.... I would have people insist their Marshall needed repair before they would change cables.

Seriously, try a new cable or several. Even if you have to buy a new cable or two. It's way cheaper than a repair charge. If it is the pedal effect, it's probably a broken solder connection.

I used to manage a music repair shop for a few years as well as being a repair technician. Replace your cables every few years.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Whatever you do, DO NOT use soldering gun. They get waaaaaay too  hot.  A 35-watt pencil-type iron (Weller is my choice) is more than enough to reflow solder joints, replace caps in your amps, rewire you guitar, etc.

Anything above 35W can do serious damage. I have a 250-watt gun - it's sole purpose was for reconnecting ground wires to chassis' in old tube amps, when I used to make extra $$$ doing repairs.

Just my $.02

Regards -
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Try a known good cable and change them around. Obviously, a $2000 amp or $300 effects pedal will fail before a $5.00 cable.... I would have people insist their Marshall needed repair before they would change cables.

Seriously, try a new cable or several. Even if you have to buy a new cable or two. It's way cheaper than a repair charge. If it is the pedal effect, it's probably a broken solder connection.

I used to manage a music repair shop for a few years as well as being a repair technician. Replace your cables every few years.

I tried the cable thing.

Mabye it's time for a rack mount processor ...............
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A 35-watt pencil-type iron (Weller is my choice) is more than enough to reflow solder joints, replace caps in your amps, rewire you guitar, etc.

Thats kinda what I figured this guy would go buy. I probably shouldn't have assume anything.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just looked inside & found no broken solder joints. And last time I tried to solder, I fried all 4 pots in my Les Paul, so I'm a little reluctant to try it myself.

You learn by failing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I looked briefly for a schematic but couldn't find one.

Trace the two output jacks back to the board, and check components as you go.  My guess would be either an IC or discrete transistors will be the final driver, so you should test those components when you get to them.  

Using a function generator on the input and an oscilliscope to look for signal would be ideal.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
It's beginning to sound like more trouble than the thing's worth.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]
$80 at musician's friend sounds like a decent option...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd offer to take a crack at it, but I'm not sure you would like the turnaround time--I don't have a ton of time to work on projects these days.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'd offer to take a crack at it, but I'm not sure you would like the turnaround time--I don't have a ton of time to work on projects these days.

Ah, that's okay, I know what it's like to be busy. I picked the thing up at a pawn shop for next to nothing (I got what I paid for ), so I guess it's not that big of a deal. I think I'm just gonna get a good processor.

Thanks to everybody for the input, that's why I love ARFCOM!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top