[#2]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hoping to avoid that!!

Now whats the fun in that?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
you have to do according to your local code, then you have to get it inspected.

Google is your friend
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am wanting to put in a wood burning stove in our new steel building shop.  What do I need to know here to do it safely and properly??

The building itself is 12' tall with a 1:12 pitch roof.

Anyone have experience??

Do you have the inside walls insulated or finished? If not it should be a piece of cake, even if they are, it's just a matter of the proper pipe and height of same once outside. Check local codes, also your stove vendor should be of great help.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Most stoves have a minimum set back from certain materials.  You can damn near put a stove on the wall of a wood frame building with the proper heat shields.  Those heat shields happen to be metal sheets.

Buy a chimney kit.  That will get you through the ceiling and roof.  Other than that make sure it is set off the wall the correct distance and you will be fine.  Also air tight buildings don't like wood stoves so if the building is tight you may need a vent near the stove.

There isn't a set number since each stove has its own unique characteristics.  Some high efficiency stoves are pretty cool on the outside shell.

Joe

ETA:  You also have codes for the chimney height outside, but I don't recall them off my head.  The top needs to be a distance from the roof surface and normally above the peak for proper draft.  Google is your friend, try this....

linky link
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top