Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2007 6:41:21 AM EDT
I try to quietly enjoy my hobby/lifestyle.

I'm done trying to justify it to anyone.  I don't talk guns or shooting to non-shooters anymore.

I'm getting really tired of constant talk of gun control, gun bans, registration, harassment by authorities, idiotic AWB's , ammo bans, taxes etc.

It's almost to the point that I can't enjoy shooting or owning guns because of a constant worry of the next piece of legislation to come out of Washington or more likely, at the State level.

No matter who you vote for or which organization you give money to, we are lucky to not have more restrictive laws passed every year.  Always on the defense.

I really wish I didn't care about guns and played golf instead.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Theodore Roosevelt I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
"Never give up! Never surrender!" (/Galaxy Quest)

Seriously though... firearms ownership isn't just a "hobby" to be tossed aside when things get tough.

We are right. They are wrong. If you give up, you concede the whole argument to them.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Apathy is a disease and I think you are well on your way toward catching it....

See a doctor, get laid or spend the next few days shooting; for god's sake do something constructive, otherwise you run the risk of joining the ranks of the sheeple in this country.

mike
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I actually think the fighting is fun. Bring it on. Way better than a video game.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Very much so.
I'm tired of not being able to enjoy shooting for the sake of shooting.
I'm tired of having to hoard mags and ammo because of possible bans.
I'm tired of having to put "business" guns over "fun" guns.
I'm tired of having to worry about a new ban each time there is a high profile shooting.
I'm tired of having to hold my breath each time there is an election.

I just wish gun ownership would be left in peace so I could enjoy it without the additional stresses.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#6]
While it can make one weary of the ever present assault on our rights, I do enjoy mixing it up with those idiots............especially when they are in the mall with their clipboards

Quoted:
I actually think the fighting is fun. Bring it on. Way better than a video game.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]

this is actually why i'm so hopefull for a good verdict in the heller case. as a community, we'd actually be able to breathe a [small] sigh of relief, and we'd be on the OFFENSIVE for once.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to big brother government.

Politics has an interest in everything you do.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...I really wish I didn't care about guns and played golf instead.

I feel like everything you said.  I've often wondered why our sport is insanely over-regulated; while so many other sports/hobbies have such lax or nonexistent legal problems.

people buy cars and soop them up to engage in illegal activities (or potentially illegal) and no one cares, you put a part in your imported AK that was machined in the wrong country, and bam! go to jail
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics
won't take an interest in you. -- Pericles (430 B.C.)
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel like everything you said.  I've often wondered why our sport is insanely over-regulated; while so many other sports/hobbies have such lax or nonexistent legal problems.

people buy cars and soop them up to achieve illegal activities and no one cares, you put a part in your imported AK that was machined in the wrong country, and bam! go to jail

Actually, nobody cares if you put a part in your imported AK that was made in the wrong country either.
It's against the law, but nobody knows it, except for hardcore guns guys.
And when I say nobody knows it, I include the ATF in that statement.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

people buy cars and soop them up to achieve illegal activities and no one cares, you put a part in your imported AK that was machined in the wrong country, and bam! go to jail

Actually, nobody cares if you put a part in your imported AK that was made in the wrong country either.
It's against the law, but nobody knows it, except for hardcore guns guys.
And when I say nobody knows it, I include the ATF in that statement.

Yeah, but just because they don't know or care today, doesn't mean that they won't know or care tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, ever since the GCA of '68.......

Quoted:
Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics
won't take an interest in you. -- Pericles (430 B.C.)

Great quote, Rik.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm done trying to justify it to anyone.  I don't talk guns or shooting to non-shooters anymore.

I'm getting really tired of constant talk of gun control, gun bans, registration, harassment by authorities, idiotic AWB's , ammo bans, taxes etc.

It's almost to the point that I can't enjoy shooting or owning guns because of a constant worry of the next piece of legislation to come out of Washington or more likely, at the State level.

No matter who you vote for or which organization you give money to, we are lucky to not have more restrictive laws passed every year.  Always on the defense.

The best part is going to your range with your "EBR" and the Fudds look at you like you're from Mars.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel like everything you said. I've often wondered why our sport is insanely over-regulated; while so many other sports/hobbies have such lax or nonexistent legal problems.
people buy cars and soop them up to engage in illegal activities (or potentially illegal) and no one cares, you put a part in your imported AK that was machined in the wrong country, and bam! go to jail

Simple. Dictators don't care if you play golf or drive a hot car. Such things pose no threat to them. Disarming the people always precedes tyranny. Dictators don't fear unarmed peasants.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just remember, there are a lot of people opposed to that, too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it goes in stages.

Folks in certain states fight alot harder than others, and spend considerable capital and time - sometimes to lose and most times to maintain the status quo.

It's hard. Sometimes you're tired, sometimes you're jazzed. It goes in stages.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Preach it, brother. What I am sick of most, however, is a bunch of pussy-whipped politicians trying to screw my hobby over and making me a criminal.

I've never hurt anyone. Leave me the hell alone unless I do.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Very much so.
I'm tired of not being able to enjoy shooting for the sake of shooting.
I'm tired of having to hoard mags and ammo because of possible bans.
I'm tired of having to put "business" guns over "fun" guns.
I'm tired of having to worry about a new ban each time there is a high profile shooting.
I'm tired of having to hold my breath each time there is an election.

I just wish gun ownership would be left in peace so I could enjoy it without the additional stresses.

+1000

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, I am tired of it.  However, I refuse to surrender.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I hope I live long enough to see the day when historical firearms get more coverage from the gun industry. Endless threat of bans really does change my focus toward modern designs, despite the fact my black rifle "needs" are met. (That doesn't mean I won't buy another and more everything when the next ban is threatened).

California is kinda funny actually (yup, really). So much of the new and cool is banned there that cowboy action shooting and the industry surrounding it seems to be growing.

If I was in CA, an interest in black rifles and more modern designs would be nothing but frustration and denial. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. I suppose "grandfathered" "assault weapons" would be some solace, but ALL of the new rifles banned? What a total drag. It is like living in Japan like some airsoft ____ .

I do think the Republicans take gun owners and the massive cash and help of the NRA damn near TOTALLY for granted.

On a coffee-less morning I would go so far as to say the NRA is to Republicans what black voters are to Democrats. Those that say vote for RINOs as the (bullshit) "lesser evil" will keep it that way. Powerful lobbies make it their mission in life to DESTROY the political careers of those who cross them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm 53, learned to shoot when I was 11; couldn't unlearn what I know about firearms if I wanted to. The anti-gun people are the ones obsessed with guns, when you think about it; I'm just a traditional American.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Always on the defense.

Liberty has always been on the defensive. There is always some despot trying to rerstrict or even take away the freedoms of all people. Always stand ready to defend your freedoms and the freedoms of us all.

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes I am, but in today's world, politics comes with the territory.  Politics is hard work, I would much rather be on the shooting range.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I hate golf and golfers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#26]
my old man told me when i was growning up,always stand up and fight for whats right,even if you get whipped. dont ever give up!yes it gets tiring ,but giving up is not the solution, they want to wear you down.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I think what the OP is saying is that he'd just like to be left alone.

While I'll never stop fighting for our 2nd Amendment, I share his sentiment.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Well, it looks like there are others that share the same sentiments.

I look at gun ownership as a right and am a believer in the "true" meaning of the second amendment.  Recreational shooting and collecting are secondary.

What bothers me is we as gun owners never gain anything.  The best we can hope for is that no new regulations happen. ( Don't tell me about CCW laws, most of which still prevent carry in lots of dangerous places.)

I go through paperwork to buy a rifle.  Drive to a match, worry about proper transport.  Want to travel by air?  More big time hassle.  

Guy at work:"What did you do this weekend?"
Me:  "Highpower rifle match"
Guy:  <mock surrender>"Don't shoot me!"
Me: "Get fu....nevermind"

No, gun ownership is more than a hobby for me but damn...  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
....... ( Don't tell me about CCW laws, most of which still prevent carry in lots of dangerous places.)  ........

You mean having to get permission from the government to exercise your constitutioanl rights isn't a win?  Say it ain't so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top