Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2001 5:14:49 AM EDT
I swear, I've seen maybe two places in person and one online that sell guns and related parts that take American Express, what the heck?  I understand its an expense to the dealer, and I don't mind paying the 3-4% fees that some charge for credit card usage.

Benefits to the consumer:

1) AMEX is faster than MO and you don't have to shell money out front.

2) You can't keep a balance, which keeps one safe and sane in spending.

3) AMEX will fight for you in the event of transactions gone south.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:30:42 AM EDT
[#1]
They love to give money to anti-gun organizations![img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/pukeface.gif[/img]
Maybe that's why many dealers don't use them.

Ybbeat
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Name me a credit (or charge) card company that doesn't give to anti-gun causes.

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The reason most companies prefer to NOT use AMEX, is that it can take several weeks or even months to be paid.  Mastercard and Visa will generally transfer funds to our accounts within 2-3 days.

We'll take AMEX all day long, but we're also supported by another large corporation that is owned by Grin&Barrett, and are therefore able to float our funds between the two companies.

Basically, it comes down to not having the proper cash flow to sustain a small business!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Anti, I did not know that.  Now I can complain to AMEX [:D] thanks!

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#5]
AMEX does, indeed, have a long and tawdry history of slow payment.  They take your payment and millions of others every month, invest it for profit, then drag their feet on paying the vendor.

It's been a successful scam for quite some time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
AMEX does, indeed, have a long and tawdry history of slow payment.  They take your payment and millions of others every month, invest it for profit, then drag their feet on paying the vendor.

It's been a successful scam for quite some time.
View Quote
They also charge the merchants more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top