Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2007 8:51:05 AM EDT
There was a Seinfeld episode in which Jerry and Elaine were flying back to New York. There were only two seats left on the plane: one First Class, one Steerage. Jerry argued successfully that since he had flown FC before, and Elaine hadn't, that he should take the FC seat because once you go FC, you can't go back. Comedy ensued.

Last night, I took the squeeze to see "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" at a local theater that has Retro Movie Nights on Thursday. For those of you in or familiar with KC, this is the Legends theater out by the roundy-round. I ordered the tickets online, and there was a "VIP" option, that I thought included $5 in Dave&Busters credits.

Boy, was I wrong.

The VIP ticket gets you to the VIP seating area, in the balcony. Super-plush seats with very generous room between you and your fellow movie-goers. But the best part was that they offer full bar service, complete with wait staff. When you're seated, you get a menu, complete with a red LED light, with drinks, snacks and everything listed. When you're ready to order, you push a button on one of those coaster-pager things that are typically used in restaurants when you have to wait for a table. These work the other way. Push a button, a waitress appears! (Looking to get these for the office ) So, while Spicoli was "learnin' about Cuba, havin' some food" and Phoebe Cates was reminding us just how beautiful she really is , I was having a Cap'n-and-Diet through a Twizzler straw, and the squeeze was having a coffee-vodka concoction known as a Wild Monkey something-or-other.

About 15 minutes before the show is over, the waitress brings your tab.

Deluxe.

I'm never sitting with "those people" again!

Next week: Airplane!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, Legends VIP rules.

Didja go to Cabela's also?  I wonder if they have any good pistols in stock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There was a Seinfeld episode in which Jerry and Elaine were flying back to New York. There were only two seats left on the plane: one First Class, one Steerage. Jerry argued successfully that since he had flown FC before, and Elaine hadn't, that he should take the FC seat because once you go FC, you can't go back. Comedy ensued.

Last night, I took the squeeze to see "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" at a local theater that has Retro Movie Nights on Thursday. For those of you in or familiar with KC, this is the Legends theater out by the roundy-round. I ordered the tickets online, and there was a "VIP" option, that I thought included $5 in Dave&Busters credits.

Boy, was I wrong.

The VIP ticket gets you to the VIP seating area, in the balcony. Super-plush seats with very generous room between you and your fellow movie-goers. But the best part was that they offer full bar service, complete with wait staff. When you're seated, you get a menu, complete with a red LED light, with drinks, snacks and everything listed. When you're ready to order, you push a button on one of those coaster-pager things that are typically used in restaurants when you have to wait for a table. These work the other way. Push a button, a waitress appears! (Looking to get these for the office ) So, while Spicoli was "learnin' about Cuba, havin' some food" and Phoebe Cates was reminding us just how beautiful she really is , I was having a Cap'n-and-Diet through a Twizzler straw, and the squeeze was having a coffee-vodka concoction known as a Wild Monkey something-or-other.

Deluxe.

WHAT THE FUCK IS A "ROUNDY-ROUND???
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boy, was I wrong.

Deluxe.

Same as a loopy loop.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a great time! KCMO or KCKS?
+1 on "roundy-round"
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
+1 on "roundy-round"

He is referring to the Kansas Motor Speedway.....KCK
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 on "roundy-round"

He is referring to the Kansas Motor Speedway.....KCK
so KCKS then.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]

DzlBenz:

Looks like you picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude - that sounds awesome. As soon as the baby it a bit older, I am taking the wife there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Surely you can't be serious?

I am serious and don't call me Shirley...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Would it be reasonable to assume that getting a BJ whilst seated in balcony section would go unnoticed?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]
FWIW the best movie "theater" is the one at home. I get my choice of drinks and I can even pause the movie. Plus, the sound isn't too loud and there's no other people to annoy you - period.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like a great time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to German movie theaters.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#14]
You got to see Phoebe Cates...I think I lost my virginity to her...and yes I was alone at the time

Yes I googled and no I won't link...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#15]
DzlBenz: you should also check out Screenland, in CrossRoads district of KC, they show retro movies on "First Fridays" and on random other Fridays.    Last friday,  The Shining, tonight, Beetlejuice, next friday  Bruce Campbell vs. Army of Darkness.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the call, not like the wife and I were doing anything that night...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Best part in that episode is when the guy in the aisle seat is sleeping when Elaine gets back from the bathroom... so she leans real close to his face and yells "HEY!!!" video

That movie theater sounds like the ultimate in awesomeness. I need one where I live.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
DzlBenz: you should also check out Screenland, in CrossRoads district of KC, they show retro movies on "First Fridays" and on random other Fridays.    Last friday,  The Shining, tonight, Beetlejuice, next friday  Bruce Campbell vs. Army of Darkness.
I'm all over Screenland. I work a mile from there. I eat at Town Topic on Broadway at least once a week.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks for the call, not like the wife and I were doing anything that night...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yeah, Legends VIP rules.

Didja go to Cabela's also?  I wonder if they have any good pistols in stock.
I did not go to Cabela's. We ate dinner at Stix, the Japanese-ish place right by the Amelia Earhart statue. I've been wanting to go there since before it opened. Decent sushi. Try the "Yummy Roll." It has cream cheese, and is deep-fried. Win and win!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Damn, I gotta check that out.

Got the link to upcoming shows/tix sales?

Retro Movie Night at The Legends 14 Theatre
Thursday nights at 7:30 p.m.

See classic, unforgettable films the way they were meant to be seen
featured in The Legends 14 Main Attraction with almost 700 seats, a
collossal 4-story movie screen, JBL digital surround sounds and
luxurious rocking chair seats.

VIP seating availble! Free upgrade to VIP seating, limited to
capacity. Enjoy appetizers and specialty drinks catered to VIP guests.
(for those 21 & over).
Retro Movie Night on Thursdays! Shows start at 7:30pm
September 20th - Grease, 1978 (PG)
September 27th - Saturday Night Fever, 1977 (R)
October 4th - Jaws, 1975 (PG13)
October 11th - Fast Times at Ridgemont High, 1982 (R)
October 18th - Raiders of the Lost Ark, 1981 (PG)
October 25th - Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1961 (PG)
November 1st - Animal House, 1978 (R)

Receive a Free Dave & Buster's $5 VIP card with each ticket purchase.
Redeem Retro ticket stub at Ted' Montana Grill for five hand battered
salt and pepper onion rings. Purchase tickets now at
www.movietickets.com or call 913-428-2992. For more information, visit
The Legends 14 website at www.phoenixtheatres.com
Note that the listing above shows ROTLA next week. That has been changed to Airplane for next week. I really wanted to see Saturday Night Fever, but couldn't make it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Man  the wife and I love movies. I am going to have to drag her out of the house soon. Right now we are anchored at home with a baby who is the worst sleeper in the world, and her baby sitters are in Poland right now. In a few months hopefully things will change and I can take her out.

As for people making out etc in theaters - you dont need a private booth. Just sit near the back row during some chick flick/old people movie. I remember this one time.... dont even remember the movie - but there were a few dozen of mostly old people in there at the time.

*slurp slurp*

"Ethel, get some poligrip and stop smacking with your dentures."

"Its not me!?!"

"Shazam!"

Just kidding - were quiet. But oh what fun...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Why don't we have theatres like this?  Oh wait, I remember.  Maryland sucks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boy, was I wrong.

Deluxe.

Same as a loopy loop.

We call 'em dipsy doos around here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#25]
With theaters around here charging $5 for a soda, I can imagine what a real drink costs. What did it set you back?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like fun, we might have to try that out on the next road trip to KC.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
With theaters around here charging $5 for a soda, I can imagine what a real drink costs. What did it set you back?

I always have my female companion smuggle a couple of bottled waters in.  That's what purses are for!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always have my female companion smuggle a couple of bottled waters in.  That's what purses are for!

Yeah, usually smuggle candy and excessive firepower into the theater too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
For two premium drinks and a 1-lb bag of Twizzlers, $17, plus tip. Not horribly out of line, IMO. Probably cheaper than the airport. Way cheaper than a Royals/Chiefs game, certainly.

Oh, and someone else already pointed out, when I said it was by the roundy-round, I was referring to Kansas Speedway, local home of the go-left-go-left-go-left-some-more rolling billboard exhibitions.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're gonna bring stuff in, bring something good! I used to bring beer and Church's fried chicken to the movies all the time!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#31]
That's not bad, and thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Here in Austin, we have 4 different Alamo Drafthouse Theaters. No VIP but all the great-unwashed proletariat get to eat great food and drink good beer and wine.

www.drafthouse.com

Since they serve booze, it's no kids allowed.

The people that started it are real film nuts and at the main downtown theater they will show old classic silent films with live bands. Quentin Terentino does his film festival there every year.

I just went to see The Borne Whatever yesterday and had a fantastic BLT and 2 pints of Dos Equis Lager. I wish they would send Jason Borne after the friggin director and beat his ass for the friggin "shaky cam" cinema photography. Damn MTV video techniques.

Anyway, it's worth the extra bucks to eat good food and drink good beer while watching a good movie.

Gringop
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
DAMN I need to find one of those theaters!

On second thought, for what I pay for popcorn and a fucking soda, I can only imagine the outrageous price you pay to add a kick  to your drink.

If the movie theaters here offered this service then we could skip the popcorn and soda and cut to the chase, saving us a lot of time and we could just apply the $$$$ to the bar tab!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top