Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 4:25:59 AM EDT
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071011/NEWS/71011047/-1/rss0901

above on line report says" Police found a 9 mm assault rifle, air guns, hand grenades, a bomb-making book........"

and the printed paper at work has a pic with table full of ak's and other guns. The discription under the pic includes: "....arsenal of confiscated weapons......" And the article states "the weapons included a 9mm assault rifle that teenagers mother bought". then in next paragraph states that the popo also found about 30 air-powered guns, swords,knives, hand grenades,..

JUST TRYING TO POINT OUT IT APPEARS TO BE ONE REAL FIREARM AND A BUNCH OF AIRSOFT STUFF!!! But the way the printed version of the paper shows it as if it is a large stash of real firearms.

(sorry no more time to do this at work today.....and someday will try and find someone to show me how to make links hot)
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard a news conference where the guy said there were "numerous devices capable of firing projectiles".

I'm thinking what a crock of shit. Displaying a table full of airsoft and blatantly misleading the viewer (what a shock) to think they are real weapons.

They were talking about prosecuting the mother for a "straw" purchase too, when she
probably just went to Target and bought the kid an airsoft rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#2]
and his mother may be charged for buying a gun for her son!!!!!  here we go indeed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw on the news this morning. A LOT of airsoft on a table, but posed to look like a HUGE arsenal.

I'm glad that the kid will get some help, though. And if mom bought him a handgun, she should be in jail.

The news will overplay this, but this story is a lot better than one about a kid who kills himself (or someone else).

14 years old can be a tough time. Once he gets past it, he'll probably be fine. Too bad mom didn't pick up on the signals.

ETA: I'm not sure if the 9mm was a handgun, or rifle. Either way, mom screwed up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I better go and buy an Airsoft gun before the prices double.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]
anyone have links to the pics?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21253029/

The written story says they found a 9mm "assault rifle", the video says they found a handgun.

It doesn't surprise me that these things happen. It surprises me that they happen so infrequently. Sad, because that should be a good time in kids lives.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I saw on the news this morning. A LOT of airsoft on a table, but posed to look like a HUGE arsenal.

I'm glad that the kid will get some help, though. And if mom bought him a handgun, she should be in jail.

The news will overplay this, but this story is a lot better than one about a kid who kills himself (or someone else).

14 years old can be a tough time. Once he gets past it, he'll probably be fine. Too bad mom didn't pick up on the signals.

ETA: I'm not sure if the 9mm was a handgun, or rifle. Either way, mom screwed up.

IIRC, you can buy guns for family members, but the kid has to be supervised when carrying a handgun.  At 16 you can get a sportsmans permit to carry a pistol while fishing.  Nothing wrong with parents buying guns for kids in PA.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The "9mm Assault rifle" is a Hi-point 9mm carbine....

Everything else is airsoft, when i saw the video first, i was like "Those are freakin airsoft guns!"

Someone needs to point out this to the media, we've been mislead.

Here's a list of a few emails of media outlets :
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
..........IIRC, you can buy guns for family members, but the kid has to be supervised when carrying a handgun.  At 16 you can get a sportsmans permit to carry a pistol while fishing.  Nothing wrong with parents buying guns for kids in PA.

I stand corrected, thank you. OK she may not have commited a crime, but she sure as heck made a mistake.

The kid was pulled from public school because he was being bullied. That is not a kid that should have access to his own gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Come on-everything the news reports is accurate and unbiased. Every SKS is an assault rifle, every scoped rifle is a sniper rifle, every dog attack is caused by a pit bull, and every gun owner is a toothless hillbilly anti-revenuer militia member.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#12]
My son has a .22 rifle, a Savage 111 .223 (with an evil "sniper" scope) that I bought for him when he was 5, an AR (also with "sniper" scope) that I bought when he was 14, and an M1 Garand (the granddaddy of assault rifles) he got when he was 16. But guess what, they stay in my safe!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#13]
dupe

hah hah!

my first dupe this year!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Glad they got those airsoft off the streets, just think of all the little red welts they prevented.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#15]
One of the Fox-chicks this morning was aghast: "Look at all those guns."

Fucking airsoft.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:21:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I heard a news conference where the guy said there were "numerous devices capable of firing projectiles".

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I live in PA, and I think you are even supposed to be 18 to buy the airsoft guns at WalMart.  This suck as the worst sort of yellow journalism, trying to fan the anti-gun/anti-AR, etc, flames.  Whover bought the airsoft guns for the kid should be just as accountable as whoever straw-purchased the 9MM for him (assuming the 9MM was not stolen by him).  If the mom bought all the weapons, she needs to be held accountable, not the nation of law-abiding gun owners.

-----------

Yeah, yeah, I know.... "My dog is black..."   "My cat's breath smells like cat food.."  Whatever.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Just when you thought the media could not get any more irrational ...
hey
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Mom buying a rifle for her kid doesn't violate any laws, state or federal, even if it was a highpoint carbine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mom buying a rifle for her kid doesn't violate any laws, state or federal, even if it was a highpoint carbine.

Now that you mention it, yeah, that's right.  I can buy my kid a .22 any time I want.  There's really no difference is there?  Hi-Points may, in my opinion, be just glorified pistols with long barrels, but technically it's a rifle.

Still not sure about if it's legal to buy a kid under 18 an airsoft gun, though?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that you mention it, yeah, that's right.  I can buy my kid a .22 any time I want.  There's really no difference is there?  Hi-Points may, in my opinion, be just glorified pistols with long barrels, but technically it's a rifle.

Still not sure about if it's legal to buy a kid under 18 an airsoft gun, though?

To the best of my knowledge PA does not have any laws regulating Airsoft purchases. SOme municipalities make "BB & Pellet guns" unlawful, but they don't mention Airsoft.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a particular interest in this, since I've lived in Plymouth Meeting since 1979 and graduated from PWHS in 1986.

Something stinks about this. Consider the following:

* The "arsenal" consisted of mostly airsoft, i.e., airguns that shoot plastic pellets.
   * The DA has stated that while he believes the kid is disturbed, no attack was imminent or even truly in the works.
   * The kid may have solicited another student to help him. I'd really like to know what he said to someone else, if anything.
   * The mom owned a couple of real guns but didn't even keep them at her home.

This morning, we hear that the mom was charged with several felonies: endangering the welfare of a child, unlawful transfer of firearms, and aiding the possession of a firearm by a minor.

Heck, I had a much more impressive, real arsenal by the time I was 14. I am far from unusual even in this day and age. I wonder how many parents could be charged with the above counts because they allowed minors access to firearms. I bet it would be in the millions.

It's almost as if the kid got overheard talking smack like most 14 year olds do, someone overreacted, so he got arrested. The DA then decided there wasn't a real threat, but now the dog and pony show is started and to finish it, they have to charge somebody for something. Another interesting tidbit: DA Castor is currently running for Plymouth Township Commissioner, so there may be a political motivation.

I sure hope that the mom isn't getting Knifonged.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#23]
It really is sickening how much the media really does intentionally mislead people on shit like this. THEY KNOW they are plastic toys that shoot plastic BBs, but they don't give a shit. It's all about shock value and spewing their agenda.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#24]
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - The mother of a 14-year-old who authorities say had a cache of guns, knives and explosive devices in his bedroom for a possible school attack was charged Friday with buying her son three weapons.

Michele Cossey bought a .22-caliber handgun, a .22-caliber rifle and a 9 mm semiautomatic rifle for her son, who felt bullied and tried to recruit another boy for the possible attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, authorities said.

The boy's father also tried to buy his son a rifle in 2005, but was not allowed to because he was a felon, police said Friday.

Police on Wednesday found the rifle, about 30 air-powered guns, swords, knives, a bomb-making book, videos of the 1999 Columbine attack in Colorado and violence-filled notebooks, Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. said. The weapons were plainly visible in the boy's bedroom, he said.

Cossey, 46, of Plymouth Meeting, bought the rifle, which had a laser scope, at a gun show on Sept. 23 and provided police with a receipt, investigators said in court papers. The teenager said the two .22-caliber weapons were stored at a friend's house.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top