Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 2:48:55 AM EDT
I stopped in the crosswalk, never entered the actual intersection. But this cities red light cameras go off as soon as your front bumper enters the crosswalk on a red.

What sucks is i was working....so i'll get screwed twice First the $360.00 ticket plus a written reprimand from work.

Been a few years since i got a ticket so i'll just chalk this up to a volunatary tax on carelessness.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:50:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard that people have been beating these by summoning the camera to testify against them in court.

That may just be a silly rumor though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't think the camera is really the plaintiff in a case as such but even so, $360 bones for a signal violation is steep.

About 3 times what it is here.  

Joe
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:18:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Arent you a cop?  Cant you just sweep it under the rug?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Phantom Plate I use this when ever I go into the city.

Those red light cameras have NOTHING to do with safety just a rip off scam for the city to milk you of money. Unless the photo catches your face clean and clear you should be able to argue it. I would pay a lawyer $1000 bucks before I paid the city $1.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I stopped in the crosswalk, never entered the actual intersection. But this cities red light cameras go off as soon as your front bumper enters the crosswalk on a red.

What sucks is i was working....so i'll get screwed twice First the $360.00 ticket plus a written reprimand from work.

Been a few years since i got a ticket so i'll just chalk this up to a volunatary tax on carelessness.

First of all, congratulations on getting fucked in the ass by a piece of shit machine that does a piss poor job of replacing a real cop.

Secondly, $360 for poking your bumper into the crosswalk is horrid. (Yes, I know it's technically blowing the red light, but still.) Who the hell came up with that figure? A speeding ticket where you are can't possibly even cost that much until you get near triple digits, can it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Those red light cameras have NOTHING to do with safety just a rip off scam for the city to milk you of money. Unless the photo catches your face clean and clear you should be able to argue it. I would pay a lawyer $1000 bucks before I paid the city $1.

mythbusters busted that thingy of yours...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:36:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I heard they've been getting people around here for not coming to a complete stop when turning right on red.

These things are going up EVERYWHERE in Arlington and Grand Prairie.  I've only been here about two years, and I noticed right away there were cameras at every intersection, but the red-light cameras were pretty rare as far as I could tell- until the last few months.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As much as I like that show, this isn't really any reason to believe it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]
well maybe the rear camera didnt get your plate because you werent far enough "in" I dunno
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As much as I like that show, this isn't really any reason to believe it doesn't work.

They used a speeding camera, which is probably close enough in resolution and operation to a camera used for red lights.

The camera saw through the "plate".

They don't work.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:50:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They used a speeding camera, which is probably close enough in resolution and operation to a camera used for red lights.

They don't work.

YMMV

I don't doubt that it's a gimmick, personally. There's better and cheaper ways of hiding your tag from these cameras.

But Mythbusters is hardly the realm of believable science. Had they not been able to 'bust' the device, they would have simply blown the camera, the car, and everything else all to hell with several pounds of explosives.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't work.

YMMV

I don't doubt that it's a gimmick, personally. There's better and cheaper ways of hiding your tag from these cameras.

But Mythbusters is hardly the realm of believable science. Had they not been able to 'bust' the device, they would have simply blown the camera, the car, and everything else all to hell with several pounds of explosives.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:02:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't work.

YMMV

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Absolutely not.

But I don't exactly turn to it for my fill of accurate scientific techniques. Just when I want to see a cement truck vaporized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top