Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2007 5:46:42 PM EDT
Is the little toe supposed to be inside the safety toe or just the other 4?  Every safety toe boot I've tried on does not fit around the little toe so I figured that's how it's supposed to be.  Let me know.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is the little toe supposed to be inside the safety toe or just the other 4?  Every safety toe boot I've tried on does not fit around the little toe so I figured that's how it's supposed to be.  Let me know.  MJD

Drop something heavy on there, and they all will fit. Don't ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
At least when the steel toe cuts off your toes, that little piggy will still go wee, wee ,wee all the way home.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
All the toes if the boot fits right. Try RedWing. Been wearing them for years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been wearing them for 15 years and never even noticed.  I just checked with my current pair and all my toes are inside the non-metallic safety toe, but that probably varies with fit, foot shape, and boot construction.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
At least when the steel toe cuts off your toes, that little piggy will still go wee, wee ,wee all the way home.

Go watch mythbusters and put that silly one to rest.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
What?

Every pair of steel toes I've ever worn has covered all my toes.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
bates composites here

all toes inside the composite safety cap
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

No, it's not bullshit.  People repeating that idiotic old wives tale is though.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chances are if it's going to crush the steel box, you're going to lose part of your foot anyway.

And Mythbusters is not the end-all be-all of this type of thing. I worked with several guys over the summer who shared a story with me of a guy they had been working with who's boot severed his foot in a situation like that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

I have personal expierence that says you are wrong.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

The amount of force necessary to bend the steel cap enough to cut off your toes would mash them into mush anyway if you weren't wearing the caps.  Either way you lose on those.  But if it's a moderate force, the steel caps will make all the difference and save your toes.

Unless you know something we don't.  We'd love to hear your personal experience.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

He can't be wrong. He saw it on Mythbusters.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

The amount of force necessary to bend the steel cap enough to cut off your toes would mash them into mush anyway if you weren't wearing the caps.

Unless you know something we don't.  We'd love to hear your personal experience.

I think he picked up the robotic toes option at the factory.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

You lost a toe while wearing steel toed boots?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I dropped 40 ton jack on my left toe. The only thing that held my big toe on was a little skin.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chances are if it's going to crush the steel box, you're going to lose part of your foot anyway.

And Mythbusters is not the end-all be-all of this type of thing. I worked with several guys over the summer who shared a story with me of a guy they had been working with who's boot severed his foot in a situation like that.

No, but they tested them with IIRC about 250 pounds dropped straight on it.  The boots (ANSI 75) are only rated for 75.  Of course if you drive a 10,000 pound vehicle over some morons toes the boots won't do much to help.  They do serve their intended purpose well though, and reduce the chance of injury.  In the .mil people who think they are too good to wear them and get foot injuries get to pay their own medical bills, morons.  I've seen it happen, and I've had foot injuries prevented by my safety toe boots many times.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The amount of force necessary to bend the steel cap enough to cut off your toes would mash them into mush anyway if you weren't wearing the caps.  Either way you lose on those.  But if it's a moderate force, the steel caps will make all the difference and save your toes.

+1000
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#19]
If the steel toe is going to be crushed, what does it matter if the toes are cut or mashed?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#20]
as said before boys

If it is heavy enough to crush the steel cap and cut off your toes, what do you think it would do to your "uncapped" toes

simple physics
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I dropped 40 ton jack on my left toe. The only thing that held my big toe on was a little skin.

And you think your feet would have fared better under 40 tons of weight if you hadn't been wearing steel-toed boots?  

Sorry about your loss though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm sure you would have walked away unscathed with no safety toe boots.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I watched the mythbusters episode on that too.

They actually did a pretty good job busting the myth.

They determined that the steel cup, in a boot that met a certain safety standard,
would basically cut through the bottom of the boot before it would deform and
cut off your toes.

The amount of force required to do that was FAR beyond what was needed to
crush your foot without the steel protection.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I've tried Redwing, they do the same thing.  I've got strange feet.  Super wide, and square (almost).  You could draw a straight line across the tips of the main 4 toes, but the little toe is about a good inch shorter than the rest.  That could explain why it doesn't fit in the safety toe.  Either that, or the boot is too long and not nearly wide enough.  Don't know.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I never said the boots didn't help. I said they would cut your toes off. The toe was re-attached, and fused.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I never said the boots didn't help. I said they would cut your toes off. The toe was re-attached, and fused.

I apologize for my harsh tone.    I've heard a whole lot of people try to use the old "they'll cut my toes off" line to explain why they didn't want to wear them.  I've been the official safety nazi before, and seen what happens when equipment isn't used so it gets me riled up.  Glad to hear they saved your toe!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've tried Redwing, they do the same thing.  I've got strange feet.  Super wide, and square (almost).  You could draw a straight line across the tips of the main 4 toes, but the little toe is about a good inch shorter than the rest.  That could explain why it doesn't fit in the safety toe.  Either that, or the boot is too long and not nearly wide enough.  Don't know.  MJD

Just go be a trucker.

With a name like Highwayman and a square, gas pedal shaped foot, you will win.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just go be a trucker.

With a name like Highwayman and a square, gas pedal shaped foot, you will win.

Nah, I like my Trans-Am better.    There's a story behind that screen name, but that's for a different topic.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I apologize for my harsh tone.    I've heard a whole lot of people try to use the old "they'll but my toes off" line to explain why they didn't want to wear them.  I've been the official safety nazi before, and seen what happens when equipment isn't used so it gets me riled up.  Glad to hear they saved your toe!

No apoligies needed, this is GD

I wear sandals to work now. I love being the boss.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I've run into the same issue, little toe unprotected. I tried several brands and models before I found what worked. Some the toebox was too narrow, others the angle of the box was wrong. Redwings worked best for me. Tried a cheap assed Thomn McAnn and the cap caused blisters on my little toe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top